mcarterbrown.com  

Sidearms Bring on the Pistols! From Splatmasters to modern day semi-auto pistols.

Old 01-19-2011, 12:16 PM   #1 (permalink)
MCB Member

The final AgentSmith.

I had a lot of kits in my 24 years of playing pistol. Everything from back holsters, shoulder holsters to you name it. Pistols that took mags, loaded from tubes and every kind of gear to carry them.

This is the beginning of the final evolution of everything I've learned in that time into a system that will let me do what I do. Play in large scenario games, large group open play(any mode/any ROF) and everywhere else with my pistols.

Basically it amounts to a modified pair of Smokin' Pants:

Except with pockets covering the mags and the extra 12gram loop gone. There will be 6 more mags on the back pockets.
Three mags are wider than 1 mag is long, so the pockets will work as a dump and mags slid sideways to the bottom will not interfere with extraction of loaded mags.
Other touches on the pants will make them perfect.

The holster system I'm currently working on. It will be a crossdraw righthanded(this can be drawn with either hand) on the left hip, a strongside canted holster on the right hip. These are open bottomed to allow me to change co2 onehanded while the pistols are in their holsters. I simply pull a barrel sock over pistol, holster and all, to enter the dead zone.
The co2 system I like the best is to use wrist holders on small belt slides up front. This gives you 5 co2 per slide but will fold up when you bend forward keeping you from getting poked in the belly when crouching.
The magazines only weigh slightly more than 10rd tubes, this allows me to use a belt slide to carry 10 mags in the small of my back.

Got the effect I wanted in the finish, though I know it'll look weird to some. Alot of sand at HS. Still have to dye, finish and assemble the rest. The mag pouch on the right is my first test one, just for illustration, one with a strap to the rear(these will be sewed) is drying as we speak.

Loaded pants and belt give me a comfortable 2 pistols, 24 mags and 12 co2 and weigh... not very much at all!

That'll come in handy in March as I'm generaling as "King Leonidas" at the '300' based scenario at Hell Survivors.

Rob

agentSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 12:21 PM   #2 (permalink)
Afro Ninja

Nice setup, very intuitive.
WickedTangoFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 12:31 PM   #3 (permalink)
Herp Derp

Sweet setup, my buddy picked up a TPX and I love the thing, wish I had the cash to set up one for myself but college is looming lol.

And Hail Leonidas, I'll see you at the 300 game though, going to be my first trip up there, still trying to figure out my shield set up lol. Just curious, how are you planning on using two pistols with a shield? Or are you just going to use one for this game?
Gustav12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 01:31 PM   #4 (permalink)
Fortune and Glory

Send a message via AIM to Crimson Death

CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustav12 View Post
Sweet setup, my buddy picked up a TPX and I love the thing, wish I had the cash to set up one for myself but college is looming lol.

And Hail Leonidas, I'll see you at the 300 game though, going to be my first trip up there, still trying to figure out my shield set up lol. Just curious, how are you planning on using two pistols with a shield? Or are you just going to use one for this game?
I don't think he actually dual wields them. One is there as a back up in case the **** hits the fan.
Crimson Death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 01:41 PM   #5 (permalink)
Pumps in the Woods

Brass N Wood Fan
Smith its beautiful. You my friend are the da vinci of the pistol world

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"Make (your attacker) advance through a wall of bullets. I may get killed with my own gun, but he’s gonna have to beat me to death with it, ‘cause it’s going to be empty." Clint Smith

volunteer paintball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 03:25 PM   #6 (permalink)
MCB Member

Well the shield I use is altered. As are most things I come in contact with.

Once upon a time I rolled with 2 3357s and a Captain America shield(outlaw only, but hundreds of days).

I used a 26" snow saucer with the rim cutoff. I used 2 fiberglass strips I had(1/8x2x15" maybe?), mounting one end of one strip to the saucer. The other end of the strip I mounted through the sled and into one end of a spring loaded gate hinge(like for privacy fence). To the backside of this hinge I mounted the other strip with a velcro archery armguard, turned so the velcro was inside the forearm.
I mounted a leather strap to the sled above the forearm, that went to a leather(with velcro on it) patch below the forearm. This anchored the shield to my arm in the conventional position. By removing my hand from the rigid handle(fence handle), I could wield a second pistol or even draw mags from harness and reload my main pistol(assuming I wasn't shielding At the time).
By putting my hand into the handle and RELEASING the overstrap, I could pivot the shield 90 degrees with a turn of the wrist. This was especially handy for going prone behind your own shield in the open. With a bunker close by, you could literally roll out of harms way without exposing yourself, it's hilarious!
It also allows you to closely cover your right side with a left slung shield. if you take your hand out of the handle with the overstrap off, the spring will hold the shield pretty conventionally. I seem to recall doing something to the spring of the hinge, I"ll be redoing it in the next few weeks and will update!
Another important thing for ANY shield is to cover at least the outer 2 inches with fabric or leather. I used craft store leather last time, suede side out. This breaks paintballs that would otherwise skim into your face and helps control drippage. One good Conan-like swipe and you're ready for more.

I made a leather shoulder strap too.

I don't dual wield all the time, but there are lots of situations where it's the way to go and I've had alot of success doing it.

For instance, a Village game I helmet cammed here:
YouTube - TPXVILL66B

If you skip to the 7:15 mark, you can see me in a house in HS' village, with a couple of younger players during open play(we're the last and are being overrun) when I see an opponent fill the building next to it.
I realize that I have 5 in the right pistol and 7 in the left and no mags after that so I decide to run through on the guy. Both pistols in hand I come out of the building as some baddies come out of the woods facing. Not a single ball I shot missed, drove 'em right back in the woods and to the dead zone. As I hit the wall of the target house, I holstered my empty right and came around the door with the left pistol getting my man... Just as 5 more came out of the woods and lit me up. Took a hit right in the camera!

It can also mean the difference between a guy holding up his marker and calling out and a guy firing back first, call it a psychological weapon.

Though I do roll with one out a BIG majority of the time. If you're in a snap shooting battle for instance one at a time is the way to go, I can cover shooting left handed while I change the co2 onehanded in the right pistol and keep that up for a long, long time. keeping mags fed at the same time is cake.

Thank you Guys!

Happily chugging away,
Rob

Last edited by agentSmith; 01-19-2011 at 04:02 PM.
Old 01-19-2011, 06:01 PM   #7 (permalink)
Banned

wow, looks very efficient! i like!

Quote:
Originally Posted by agentSmith View Post
Got the effect I wanted in the finish, though I know it'll look weird to some. Alot of sand at HS.
it puts the lotion on its skin, or it gets the hose again!
heinous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 06:15 PM   #8 (permalink)
Slowly making progress

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadawg View Post
H+(1/2), great stuff. Now, with wolves!

>>> Link to prototype Dust Devil<<<

DT1 Dust Devil want list. Click me!
Quote:
Originally Posted by neftaly View Post
New advertising tagline: "Simon Stevens said that will be totally fine and nothing bad could ever happen. Ever."
Feedback
desertT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 07:07 PM   #9 (permalink)
Crafter of skins

Looks good there Smith, The leatherwork looks great. Very well done.

The mag holsters (actual name eludes me right now) look fantastic. Well done!

Current list of people planning on getting a holster for their DRV:
1: Mayvik
2: aldumil
3: Dundadun (special build, no longer DRV)
4: ITSPB-Rogue
5: Crimson Death
6: Big Phil
7: Ironchef97
8: Spinalmath
9:
10:
Butch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 09:56 PM   #10 (permalink)
MCB Member

I didn't sew it because I wanted to play with it(happy now!) before deciding whether I liked the fit, Butch. I will sew the holsters when I sew up the belt slide, replacing the center chicago screw with a hollow rivet. The hollow center of the rivet will be the mount for a decoder ring on a zinger like I currently wear on my glove:

It'll be mounted out the back of the center rivet on each holster so I can reach behind the lip of the holster back there and grab it. It'll be longer and L-shaped probably.
I have and have used a speedy stitcher, so I'll sew them with that, even dyeing the thread green!

I call 'em mag cups, but I don't know the proper name either. I followed my uncle's theory and went with a heavier 8-10 ounce leather for all this. By bending the leather before dyeing I'm able to use the wax impregnated Carnauba creme from tandy. This doesn't soften the leather, stiffens it actually so it's not recommended for belts or such that have to flex alot as it will crack(the finish of course not the leather), for the mag cups it's the ticket. For holsters my family has always used wax on the outside and a little neatsfoot oil on the inside. We'll see if the finish holds up.
I've never been hip on solid dyeing of leather other than black.
I've noticed the shortness of the holsters when empty is a real advantage rolling around, the thick leather keeps it's shape for me.

This is a lot of sand:

The masters field at HS is my favorite field in the world. The SPPL fought along this cliff sideways(60 foot high with a 40 foot change in elevation and over 400 foot long across the field), but in open play, it's one game up and one game down!
I have surfed down that hill on a shinguard in the pouring rain, braking with my off foot and shooting as I went... I have also rolled down it like a sack of potatoes too. Good times all!

Rob

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » Sidearms