mcarterbrown.com

Sidearms Bring on the Pistols! From Splatmasters to modern day semi-auto pistols.

Old 03-23-2012, 12:51 PM   #351 (permalink)
Limited Paint Play Zealot

Added a new small, light single pistol chest rig to the rotation.

Military Supply Basic Molle Chest Rig - Black

I was putting in an order at rockstar and was just a bit short of free shipping so I impulse bought a small angled chest rig that they had for under $20.

The good thoughts...
  • It feels like it will be sufficiently durable.
  • The angled molle straps are a cool feature. To get that on other chest rigs you'd need an 45 degree plate on top of the base layer.
  • Very easy to adjust to various sized people. Only 2 straps to quickly adjust the fit. Other chest rigs and vests have 4+ points of adjustment and take much longer to adjust to large size differences. It will make a great loaner rig for petite gals and 3xl fellas like myself.

The bad...
  • The molle doesn't line up well with ... well any of the molle gear that I've got.
  • The openings are also very small and tight making changing things around to find the right setup for you extremely tedious and difficult.
  • There are only 4 retention points with very thin 2" webbing on the chest rig as opposed to 6 on most of the Condor and military surplus chest rigs I'm used to seeing. This makes it less stable with heavy load-outs.
  • Like 45 degree adapter plates, the outer 1" edge is pretty much useless to weave molle due to far too many half sized openings. So the usable space is much smaller then the dimensions would imply.

Tips...
  • Use it along with Full Clip gear, other molle gear with very soft easy to weave straps, or items using the thin mallice attachment strips. Condor and other misc millitary surplus gear's molle straps were thick, rigid, and painful to fit through this thing.
  • 4 mags is the most I'd carry on this with heavy Tiberius mags. I tried 6 mags (3 m4 pouches) but that didn't work as well as 4. Even though three m4 pouches (6 mags worth) fit within the space, it sagged/moved around too much with that much weight.
  • Use with lighter setups like 10 round tubes or TPX mags might be a better application then heavy Tiberius mags.

Conclusion ... for under $20 it was an great little addition to my growing softgood collection. Fun way for me to use some of those spare mag pouches. If you've got some spare pouches that you don't often use and can leave them on this thing (reducing molle rework), it will make a great loaner rig for the $$. I don't think I would recommend it as someone's only rig. There's too many little problems/limitations with it. For me this is going to double as loaner for pistol mags and limited paint rig for an automag with a 30-50 round hopper and APP 30 round tubes.

Next on the "chest rigs to try" list is the MCR3 from Condor...
Tertiary: 2k2 Blue Shoebox Shocker / 16" .689 CP / 88-4500 Classic Maxflow / BluApache
+ too many ol' Shoebox Shockers for loaners.

Last edited by VooDooAddict; 03-23-2012 at 06:52 PM.
VooDooAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 01:18 PM   #352 (permalink)
Handgoon

Brass N Wood Fan
I like it. How is the weight if it is just the pistol and 2 mags?

MY FEEDBACK
skullcandy1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 01:37 PM   #353 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by skullcandy1993 View Post
I like it. How is the weight if it is just the pistol and 2 mags?
Pretty nice. I haven't had a chance to play with it yet at full speed , but doing some stairs and light treadmill with it it does move around a little, but far from uncomfortably so and stays in the area you need it. Think of it like a nice lightweight backpack... it shifts around on you but stays comfortable and where it needs to be.

I.E. it's not like the tight immobile feel of an elastic podpack. You have full range of movement while you mags are kept ready.

It should get a full workout this weekend.... either on myself or as a loaner as intended.
Tertiary: 2k2 Blue Shoebox Shocker / 16" .689 CP / 88-4500 Classic Maxflow / BluApache
Old 03-23-2012, 03:49 PM   #354 (permalink)
Boom. Yummy

Brass N Wood Fan
Kilt Fan
The picture on the site makes it look like it has a pocket???

Hmm not sure if it will work for me, but it looks practically perfect for what I need. I have a condor h-harness and I want something I can put under my arm pit to mount a holster, connecting the front and back of the h-harness.

Think that could work for me?
dundadun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 05:44 PM   #355 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dundadun View Post
The picture on the site makes it look like it has a pocket???

Hmm not sure if it will work for me, but it looks practically perfect for what I need. I have a condor h-harness and I want something I can put under my arm pit to mount a holster, connecting the front and back of the h-harness.

Think that could work for me?
It has a pocket... the velcro on it is strong though ... not easy to open, would be great for a wallet or something. But too hard to open to use as a dump pouch without some sort of modification.

Under the arm pit... So set it up almost as a molle shoulder rig? Hmm I'll have to give that a try. I know that Condor MCR3 lists that setting up as a shoulder rig is possible. MCR3 - "Can be assembled and used as a shoulder - carry modular panel." Though it doesn't have the 45 degree angle.
https://militaryassaultgear.com/prod...r-chest-panel/

Guess I get to go play with it some more see if I can get it to rest under my arm. Back in a bit... with pics if it works.
Old 03-23-2012, 06:01 PM   #356 (permalink)
Boom. Yummy

Brass N Wood Fan
Kilt Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by VooDooAddict View Post
It has a pocket... the velcro on it is strong though ... not easy to open, would be great for a wallet or something. But too hard to open to use as a dump pouch without some sort of modification.

Under the arm pit... So set it up almost as a molle shoulder rig? Hmm I'll have to give that a try. I know that Condor MCR3 lists that setting up as a shoulder rig is possible. MCR3 - "Can be assembled and used as a shoulder - carry modular panel." Though it doesn't have the 45 degree angle.
https://militaryassaultgear.com/prod...r-chest-panel/

Guess I get to go play with it some more see if I can get it to rest under my arm. Back in a bit... with pics if it works.
Thanks!, or upside down too if that works.

I've actually only used molle items on 2 inch belts, havn't actually used them on other molle platforms. If I went with the straight-standard molle how much of a pain is it to put a holster at an angle?

Last edited by dundadun; 03-23-2012 at 06:10 PM.
Old 03-23-2012, 06:25 PM   #357 (permalink)

Quote:
Thanks!, or upside down too if that works.
Actually, it isn't bad...

Obviously, for this setup I'd need to turn the orientation of the pouches. But I think that's doable. I think I need to spend more time mucking with it to find the strap lengths to be completely comfortable with that setup. It's a tempting setup for single pistol. Nothing hanging out on my strong handed side, not even a holster to be shot at.

Quote:
I've actually only used molle items on 2 inch belts, havn't actually used them on other molle platforms. If I went with the straight-standard molle how much of a pain is it to put a holster at an angle?
Depends on the holster's molle. I've had good, but not perfect luck doing it with Full clip holsters as the straps are softer and easier to weave into the molle at an angle. No luck doing it with the BT and NXT molle holsters. Their molle straps are think and very rigid. Hard enough getting them to weave straight up and down.

Last edited by VooDooAddict; 03-23-2012 at 06:56 PM.
Old 03-23-2012, 08:43 PM   #358 (permalink)
Boom. Yummy

Brass N Wood Fan
Kilt Fan
Awesome!
Okay my next couple of steps:
Mount 2" webbing under arms to test if I like a holster under my arm at all
-can it be kydex or will that bug the heck out of me? if not I need a new soft holster
-do I want the holster up high or down on my hip?

These will help me determine between a kydex on this

or the one you posted Voodoo, or the McCann under arm panel thingy.

I also need to by a new back scabbard or get mine repaired.
Old 03-23-2012, 09:42 PM   #359 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

I'm looking into purchasing the MCR3 from Condor here in the next week.
I plan to put a FC 2 mag pouch, WTF 6 tube holder, and FC pistol holster.
I just hope that it holds tight to my chest.

I only need 1 shot, no hopper, and your out!
PntBllnSquirrel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 09:58 PM   #360 (permalink)
Handgoon

Brass N Wood Fan
there was a review of it on here somewhere...

MY FEEDBACK
skullcandy1993 is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » Sidearms