mcarterbrown.com  

Sidearms Bring on the Pistols! From Splatmasters to modern day semi-auto pistols.

Old 02-21-2011, 05:27 AM   #31 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

agentsmith how many tpx mags are in that belt
I actually dont run pistols at all... cant hit anything without using a stock
but this is going to make a great stock class phantom and ccm s6 rig.
paintball_fiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 10:29 AM   #32 (permalink)
MCB Member

12 mags, so theoretically I should be able to get 84 people out... never works like that but it would be nice.
The m4 mag pouch on the right has a pistolpod to reload 7 more mags.

Have you ever read the book 'Ender's Game'? It gives a great description of how to be accurate with a paintpistol and gives good tips on strategy too. Because there's minimal recoil with PBPistol, shooting them with your arm straight creates a long enough sight plane to allow more precision. Flash Pistolero that's me. I don't hold the arm stiff all the time but I straighten it all but the final fraction as I point and fire. When I'm up and moving I don't ever stop to 'draw a bead', when the trigger is pulled the pistol is still moving and never pauses.

Not too many science fiction novels were required reading at Annapolis AND West Point... Except as Arthur C Clarke would say 'whatever it is Robert Heinlein did it first and almost certainly better', Starship Troopers FTW.

My good friend and MCBer PhantomXJ is equipped to take on anyone with his Phantom in his hands. Mike Casady is the man.

The enemy's gate is always down,
Rob

agentSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 10:38 AM   #33 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

lol Enders game is my favorite book I just read it again a couple of weeks ago

I am thinking about getting a tpx. I have had a zeus, tac8 so i might as well try the last of the bunch.

also what is a good molle holster for a splatmaster
Old 02-21-2011, 12:09 PM   #34 (permalink)
Walking without rhythm

CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by paintball_fiend View Post
well since you are pointing out your vest were did you buy it and what is on it the pic doesnt tell these things completely.
OK.

Same model, Mine is just OD green.

The vest has 6 built in mag pouches. they are supposed to take M4 or AK mags so there is lots of room. Inside there are mesh pockets to hold stuff. On the front right I have a second triple M4 mag shingle. On the left I have a shotgun shell pouch that I use to hold 12gs.

I would recommend getting a few carabeners(sp?) and using them to close off the front because it tends to open up as it is only held by Velcro and button snaps. To fix this I am currently putting those press clip connectors on one of the sides so the front can be left closed permanently. I just picked up a TPX with a molle holster which I will probably place right on the front if it is comfortable...The mag pouches will fit at least 2 mags each no problem. All I need to complete the rig is a dump pouch but I have been leaving one or two pouches open on the left to put empty tubes in as I use them from the right...

The back will take a 2L hydration pouch.

The bib on the front was annoying so I took it off. Held on with press snaps and Velcro anyway.

The only downside to this vest is if your a small guy. It was designed to fit OVER a plate carrier so it is big. Even at the smallest settings.

More of a review and explanation I did here

anyone own this vest?
Stilgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 01:15 PM   #35 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

thank that is a cool setup stilgar
do you have any problem with the 10 rd tubes falling out?
Old 02-21-2011, 01:22 PM   #36 (permalink)
Slowly making progress

Quote:
Originally Posted by agentSmith View Post
12 mags, so theoretically I should be able to get 84 people out... never works like that but it would be nice.
The m4 mag pouch on the right has a pistolpod to reload 7 more mags.

Rob
Is there a way to reload the TPX mag's with that pistolpod without doing it one ball at a time? That seems like a good solution to me, but only if you can just open the port and they roll in there. That little retention bar would get in the way of doing that. At least that's what I can see happening.

DT1 Dust Devil want list. Click me!
Quote:
Originally Posted by neftaly View Post
New advertising tagline: "Simon Stevens said that will be totally fine and nothing bad could ever happen. Ever."
Feedback
desertT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 02:12 PM   #37 (permalink)
MCB Member

There are 3 ways I know of to get it out of the way.
The easiest if you can, is to just use the thumbnail of the hand holding the mag to pull it back. Then roll the balls against your thumbnail and down in.
That's the way I did it here:
YouTube - TPX Mag Load.wmv

If this won't work for you then you can make a spout on your loader. I've seen 10rd tubes cut down with the top on an angle. It should also be possible to put a lip on a pistolpod.

Another possibility is a hook. I use a 'decoder ring' to pop co2s out early if necessary and experimented with this and got it to work quite well.

I put my middle finger through the ring and can use the ring itself to crank the co2 plug or the little clip to load mags.
The clip drops right in the mag well, as I grab the mag and tighten my grip it pulls in to catch:

Then just a squeeze and it pivots back:

You can pull that off and let it retract to the back of the glove when you're done loading mags. It worked ok, but was another thing, so when I saw I could get by without it, i dropped it.

I'd be a liar if I said I didn't trim my thumbnails a little longer than before the TPX came out

Rob

Old 02-21-2011, 02:47 PM   #38 (permalink)
Slowly making progress

Thanks, lots of good ideas to try out. I think your almost 10 minute TPX video is the best one I've seen yet showing the process and a few tricks to keep things from blowing up c/o that return spring.

DT1 Dust Devil want list. Click me!
Quote:
Originally Posted by neftaly View Post
New advertising tagline: "Simon Stevens said that will be totally fine and nothing bad could ever happen. Ever."
Feedback
desertT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 09:54 PM   #39 (permalink)
Walking without rhythm

CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by paintball_fiend View Post
thank that is a cool setup stilgar
do you have any problem with the 10 rd tubes falling out?
Not yet. Then again I am not what one would call 'agile' and don't find my self belly crawling that often.

6 tubes fit snug in a mag pouch. If you keep the elastic mag retainer in there it will also make sure that they stay snug when one or two are removed.

The best trick is not to empty an entire mag pouch at once. Select tubes evenly across all the pouches so that one is not held open by the others.
Stilgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 11:25 AM   #40 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertT1 View Post
Thanks, lots of good ideas to try out. I think your almost 10 minute TPX video is the best one I've seen yet showing the process and a few tricks to keep things from blowing up c/o that return spring.
Thanks! We just sat down and did it, I'm glad in hindsight that we did it that way.
One thing I've changed since they Upgraded the strength of the spring in my method is that now I put the breech in first. then by tilting up the rear of the breech a bit I slide in the spring, reg and valve all together from the rear til I can hook the bottom of the valve down into the body. I keep one finger on the breech to hold it all in as I slide the other body half on.
I've been meaning to do another vid, but just haven't got the chance...

Paintball Fiend, the UTG Tornado Molle holster would fit a splatmaster(or even a PTX!):

as would their nice crossdraw:

any of the fabric tactical holsters that adjust for lights and lasers should work, even if you have to open out the bottom. It's nice to have a splatmaster muzzle sticking out of the holster for reloading it too...

Rob

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » Sidearms