mcarterbrown.com  

Sidearms Bring on the Pistols! From Splatmasters to modern day semi-auto pistols.

Old 07-08-2013, 11:23 PM   #1 (permalink)
Paint Dribbler

Piranha USP rail?

I'm on the hunt for a Piranha USP but would like to mount a laser to it. It does not have a rail mount from what I can tell. Does someone have a solution or a part recommendation I can try to find? There's an indoor scenario place I'd like to use it at and I think a laser would be fun at times.
spikeball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 11:35 PM   #2 (permalink)
Slowly making progress

I don't think a laser is a good idea. They have warnings for a reason.

>>> Link to prototype Dust Devil<<<

DT1 Dust Devil want list. Click me!
Quote:
Originally Posted by neftaly View Post
New advertising tagline: "Simon Stevens said that will be totally fine and nothing bad could ever happen. Ever."
Feedback
desertT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 02:06 AM   #3 (permalink)
Paint Dribbler

Then why does air soft allow them? Gave that a try and some of those dudes are decked out with every little accessory. If its not cool for a scenario deal, I'll just forget about doing it.

Still want to find an affordable USP.
Old 07-09-2013, 04:48 AM   #4 (permalink)
Official LL5 Dolphin-Dive

Send a message via AIM to PistolRogue

A lot of paintball fields don't allow the use of lasers anymore. I know I've had experience with people using those green higher wattage deals just trying to eff with people instead of actually using them to aim.

That said, The USP's had the CO2 dropout on the bottom, so that eliminates mounting a laser under the barrel. From the pics I'm looking at on Google, there's really nowhere to drill holes to mount a rail without intruding into either pressurized air chambers or the path of mechanical components like the hammer or the spring follower in the feed.

Your best bet would probably be if you can find some sort of barrel clamp that has a rail on it and attach it that way. Although I'll repeat, lasers are pretty much useless, rarely allowed at paintball fields, and mostly just annoying to your fellow players anyway.
FEEDBACK
PistolRogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 04:49 AM   #5 (permalink)
Official LL5 Dolphin-Dive

Send a message via AIM to PistolRogue

Or, just spitballing here... Just buy an SA17? Internally it's pretty much the same gun, but it does have a small rail on the CO2 change lever that could hold a laser.
FEEDBACK
PistolRogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 05:26 AM   #6 (permalink)
Post Whore

Someone made a co2 knob with a laser built in. I had a pair of them on my ACPs back when they came out, as I recall they also made them for the WSP and a few other models.
Frizzle Fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 08:17 AM   #7 (permalink)
Pop-Up Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by PistolRogue View Post
Or, just spitballing here... Just buy an SA17? Internally it's pretty much the same gun, but it does have a small rail on the CO2 change lever that could hold a laser.
This is what I was going to suggest.

Go ye therefore to all the nations, baptizing them in copious amounts of paint.

Proud member of Team On Target.
www.teamontargetpb.com
Murf425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 01:18 PM   #8 (permalink)
Paint Dribbler

I've looked at the SA17 and almost bought one, but when I found out the USP can take Evil tips, that did it. I was able to find 10" and 12" tips for $4 each.

Looking to kinda go modular like my phantom. There's a pic floating around with a USP with an A5 foregrip that inspired me a bit.
Old 07-09-2013, 01:27 PM   #9 (permalink)
Pop-Up Ninja

I THINK (but don't quote me here) that the tip on the SA that holds the barrel in place is ______-threaded. I just can't remember what I heard it was, specifically. At the very least, I know for a fact they have a longer barrel available in their "rifle kit".

The USP just wasn't a very good pistol. Tended to leak very badly and the flip CO2 changer never really worked right (same reason PPS stopped doing Quicksilvers).

If you've got your heart set, that's fine. But with the SA you get a better quality product that has current manufacturer support, a rail for your laser, and the ability for longer barrels. No need to go old and obsolete.

Go ye therefore to all the nations, baptizing them in copious amounts of paint.

Proud member of Team On Target.
www.teamontargetpb.com
Murf425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 01:35 PM   #10 (permalink)
Slowly making progress

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf425 View Post
I THINK (but don't quote me here) that the tip on the SA that holds the barrel in place is ______-threaded. I just can't remember what I heard it was, specifically. At the very least, I know for a fact they have a longer barrel available in their "rifle kit".

The USP just wasn't a very good pistol. Tended to leak very badly and the flip CO2 changer never really worked right (same reason PPS stopped doing Quicksilvers).

If you've got your heart set, that's fine. But with the SA you get a better quality product that has current manufacturer support, a rail for your laser, and the ability for longer barrels. No need to go old and obsolete.
Cocker threaded. There is an insert that goes inside the body and the ~1.5" tip that holds it in the body is cocker threaded.

>>> Link to prototype Dust Devil<<<

DT1 Dust Devil want list. Click me!
Quote:
Originally Posted by neftaly View Post
New advertising tagline: "Simon Stevens said that will be totally fine and nothing bad could ever happen. Ever."
Feedback
desertT1 is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » Sidearms