mcarterbrown.com  

Sidearms Bring on the Pistols! From Splatmasters to modern day semi-auto pistols.

Old 03-07-2014, 01:27 PM   #1 (permalink)
MCB Member

2014 will be my year!

I'm sorry for not having visited in so long, in part it's because I've been working so much, while trying to help my wife get back in shape to return to work.
It was a really tough year, through a mixup I ended up not having my normal season pass for Hell Survivors(I normally play worth triple the price of the pass), my wife wasn't working and I was not only working far too much but all over the weekends. This led to me not really having a lot of paintball to talk about that other folks would be interested in.
On the bright side the time off gave me time to get in better shape myself and the chance to step back and examine where I'm at and where I go from here, play wise.

I did make the Christmas Game at Hell Survivors, Santa remains undefeated!
My 9 awesome Reindeer and myself as Santa, against 64 bad boys and girls.

The 10 of us started in the North Pole Castle, with the bad boys and girls outside.
We got Christmas Magic. Each reindeer could respawn twice, Santa could respawn 3 times.
The bad boys and girls wanting their toys were BAD, so they got infinite respawns!
It was a half hour blitz right at us. At the end there were 2 valiant reindeer out, I had 7 reindeer left and had only been hit once myself. What a blast!

There was talk before the game about last year's start, where I managed to shoot someone from further than a paintball should go right at the break(I had a 60' elevation advantage).
So the field manager, my good friend Sean, knowing I get bored easy-changed it up.
This time he allowed the bad boys and girls to start anywhere as long as they were not IN the castle.

This resulted in the game counting down to start with me staring at a tree 25' away that had fullauto markers leaning on either side pointing right at me.
With friends like Sean....

Sean was 5' feet down the wall, to better view his handiwork. At '5!' I drew my pistols, at '3!' I was aiming at the 2 players, at almost '1!', I hopped backwards 2 feet, raising myself to make it less noticeable from the downward angle of the players. as 'GO!' was called I was landing and collapsing backwards in a roll as I fired.
According to Sean, the first ball of the bursts swished through the furry brim of my tactical Santa hat without slowing down, after that I was safe. I got those dudes.
It actually saved the game for us that Sean did that, the BBGs all stayed close to the wall trying to pick us off with volume instead of getting back and raining us out, using the arc of the later part of the flight to hit us from above behind the wall cover. I had a blast.

My rig for 2014, will be my rig for a loooong time. I've managed to move all my mags off my belt.

AgentSmith 2014, head to toe.

Sparkling Earth Deluxe Headwrap. I've always worn these, the new deluxe has a wider terry band. American made, not the oversized too-hot melodrama of speedball wraps, they can be worn for a 2 day midsummer scenario in comfort and style.
Sparkling Earth - DELUXE Skull Caps (headwraps) - TIE BACK

Vforce Vantage Field Mask. The foamless design works best with my glasses.
This seals to your face like a scuba mask and rolls inward too, so it minimizes how much sweating skin is exposed inside the goggle. Double lenses are available and worth the money of course. This is just about the cheapest mask you could possibly get, I have no problem saying it's the best mask I've ever worn after trying most. Foam = Bad to me.

Action Shot HD camera. I have hated every helmet vid I've ever taken. I finally realized it wasn't the definition as much as the frame rate. At 30 frames per second paintballs in air are invisible and sound is horrible. It looks mostly like people standing around. This camera takes 640p at 60fps, I love it. The fact that it's $20-from-amazon plus the $7 high impact housing is ridiculous.
Amazon.com : Action Shot HD Camera : Toy Sports Products : Toys & Games
There is a bonus pack with the viewer and a a bunch of mounts for $60 also.

Propper Tac U combat shirt. The shoulder pockets can hold 2 tipx mags each(zetas fit also), this gives me great access should I happen to be prone and the forearm pockets can be adapted for 12grams.
The torso section is too thin by itself to run through brush all silly, fortunately I wear sleeveless jerseys over top it.
This lets me be a Great Lakes Ranger, Hell Survivor Mercenary or even Carter Commando without changing the combat shirt underneath.

Custom leather gunbelt with 2 TiPXs and maxpedition minirolypoly dump pouch. Crossdraw/strongside on the holsters, the pouch can dump mags(though pockets are what I use for that), but more importantly carry a 10rd pistolpod for defensive inserts. This is a pretty simple western style belt.

Woolrich elite tactical pants. The cleverly designed pockets can hold up to 18 mags(Zetas also). For top speed and maneuverability, 10 mags is my limit, more than that is like wearing a really good thigh rig, but still undesirable.
Last year I wore the Eotac Operator's Jeans and loved them. I discovered that the same factory in china had made these with a lot of the same features, most importantly the HUGE back pockets. The lower pocket on the kneeflap I ripped off there immediately, even if you don't wear knee protection, this pocket is unusable. Once that was done and the front thigh pockets were modded to anchor mags, they're the perfect pants and Mercenary black too. In the rain I will still wear the jeans as the pockets offer more protection inside the teflon coated denim.

Damascus DBKB Phantom ops 1 lo-pro knee pads. These are the tactical version of the black diamond telekneesis kneepads I wore all last year, that have finally ended my search for what's best. The only fault on the black diamonds was the buckles, corrected on the damascus version.
I wanted shinguards, I've always needed shinguards and bought the black diamonds because they got good reviews from Army Rangers who tried them in Afghanistan, as something to get me by until I found perfect. Against my own desires, I have to admit these are the best thing ever, the small lower section lets me keep my shins out of trouble.

Danner Tachyon boots. They're awesome, at 26oz a pair they weigh less than my wife's running shoes. These are a minimalist style with a 6.5mm drop, great for me. I could literally throw away all my other shoes and not care except for looks.

My loadout can go from just 14 balls in my pistols to an entire 500 bag of paintballs without adding anything, changing anything or moving anything.
It's a simple, efficient and very comfortable setup for my normal big game load of 10 zetas and 6 trufeeds. If it weren't for the legal trouble, I could get in my car and drive to Wendy's without taking my rig or my pistols off. I'm really looking forward to this year as I'm starting to know this rig well enough after outlawing in it, to never need to look away from the game for any reason.

My goal this year(the first time I've ever said where people could hear and set traps for me, in this case I dare them.) is to concentrate on my short game. It's time to bring back the bumrush!

Rob

Last edited by agentSmith; 03-07-2014 at 07:25 PM.
agentSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 02:53 PM   #2 (permalink)
Fortune and Glory

Send a message via AIM to Crimson Death

CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Very nice.

Did a quick search on google and it seems Amazon has those pants for $36.39. That's a steal for something as useful for holding mags etc.

Amazon.com: Woolrich Men's Elite Lightweight Operator Tactical Pant: Clothing
Crimson Death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 04:46 PM   #3 (permalink)
all work

It seems your well sorted then. Why did you nix the Flanks? Too damn hot perhaps?

I like the look of the $20 action cam. I can't justify $300 for such but this is in my price range, I may just have to order one.
Nightstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 05:06 PM   #4 (permalink)
Fortune and Glory

CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightstar View Post
It seems your well sorted then. Why did you nix the Flanks? Too damn hot perhaps?

I like the look of the $20 action cam. I can't justify $300 for such but this is in my price range, I may just have to order one.
I don't know about Rob but I hate zeta mags on my belt. They wind up jabbing me in the ribs. I used a $20 condor single molle pane chest rig for the last 2 years and it was suitable. I just couldn't crawl which I really didn't like since I crawl A LOT!

I ordered those pants I linked. I figure if I can hold 10 zeta mags in those that should be good enough. I might order that combat shirt to hold another 4 mags on my arms but I duno. My arms are on the large size so I duno how comfy that would be.
Old 03-07-2014, 07:24 PM   #5 (permalink)
MCB Member

Ah Crimson, he's referring to the Raceface Flank shinguards, hot yes but also I worry about the long term life of the new material plus the irony of wearing soft bouncy shinguards that will stiffen to a board where they are hit by paintballs.

I don't factor in bounces and when I'm in normal play will just call myself out without looking on any good hit, it was really that I worry about sharp rocks, hiting them in a wipeout is one thing, crawling over them uphill quite another.

The damascus version of the telekneesis has MUCH less padding than the telekneesis, but the hardshell is high quality kydex.

I'm a function over form guy, it doesn't bother me in the slightest that my boots cost almost what the rest does. Each piece is the best choice for that piece given it's relationship to the other pieces.

The size on those pants is true to blue jeans, those will have the big back pockets but have side cargos Crimson, These are the ones I got, sorry!
Amazon.com: Woolrich Men's Elite Tactical Pant: Sports & Outdoors

I looked at every pair of pants made, it's all a bit of a blur!

Rob

agentSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 10:25 PM   #6 (permalink)
Fortune and Glory

CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by agentSmith View Post
Ah Crimson, he's referring to the Raceface Flank shinguards, hot yes but also I worry about the long term life of the new material plus the irony of wearing soft bouncy shinguards that will stiffen to a board where they are hit by paintballs.

I don't factor in bounces and when I'm in normal play will just call myself out without looking on any good hit, it was really that I worry about sharp rocks, hiting them in a wipeout is one thing, crawling over them uphill quite another.

The damascus version of the telekneesis has MUCH less padding than the telekneesis, but the hardshell is high quality kydex.

I'm a function over form guy, it doesn't bother me in the slightest that my boots cost almost what the rest does. Each piece is the best choice for that piece given it's relationship to the other pieces.

The size on those pants is true to blue jeans, those will have the big back pockets but have side cargos Crimson, These are the ones I got, sorry!
Amazon.com: Woolrich Men's Elite Tactical Pant: Sports & Outdoors

I looked at every pair of pants made, it's all a bit of a blur!

Rob
Ahhh I see the difference. The ones I linked have lower side pockets. Yours have pockets that are higher up on the thigh. I like that better. You can fit 5+ Zeta mags in those pockets?
Old 03-07-2014, 10:31 PM   #7 (permalink)
Official LL5 Dolphin-Dive

Send a message via AIM to PistolRogue

Here's to a good year for all of us, hopefully!

Heresy will be up and running by the end of this month, and I plan on committing more to pistol play this year after my eNMEy and my pump stole a lot of time this past season. Plus, my new job and working day work means I can actually drive to games and camp on Friday nights which opens up my schedule of games A LOT compared to the past 8 years.
FEEDBACK
PistolRogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 10:40 PM   #8 (permalink)
Fortune and Glory

CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by PistolRogue View Post
Here's to a good year for all of us, hopefully!

Heresy will be up and running by the end of this month, and I plan on committing more to pistol play this year after my eNMEy and my pump stole a lot of time this past season. Plus, my new job and working day work means I can actually drive to games and camp on Friday nights which opens up my schedule of games A LOT compared to the past 8 years.
Bout time you stopped slacking lol.

Pump/Pistol/Magfed rec day at Picasso Lake Sunday March 9th if you're free Jay.
Old 03-08-2014, 06:51 PM   #9 (permalink)
Official LL5 Dolphin-Dive

Send a message via AIM to PistolRogue

We're doing the red dawn game at top gun this weekend but I fully plan on making it out to the lake a few times this season
FEEDBACK
PistolRogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 09:14 PM   #10 (permalink)
is my hero

Palmers Fan
Good to hear you're getting geared up to go. I've been looking for some new pants to replace the BDU style khaki colored ones I wear. The pants you got may fit the bill!
Feedback thread: http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
Manning is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » Sidearms