mcarterbrown.com  

Sidearms Bring on the Pistols! From Splatmasters to modern day semi-auto pistols.

Old 05-01-2014, 10:11 AM   #1 (permalink)

Splatmaster Rapide - Your thoughts?

I've recently become interested in getting something old to fix up or play with and I've always liked the look of the Splatmaster Rapide. Anyone on here have any experience with these markers?

If so what are your thoughts?
biteweasel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 05:23 PM   #2 (permalink)
Paroxysm

Last night discovered one sitting in a suitcase at my wife's house. My eyes filled with joy lol. Pretty solid bit of kit, although I have no idea on them. Very cool, but doubt they would be that useful for anything other than a laugh.
Old 05-04-2014, 06:26 PM   #3 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Heavy long trigger pull, you are actually cocking/loading, and firing the gun with every trigger pull. (I can't remember if that means double action or single action).

Depending on how hard and fast you pull the trigger you can get more velocity too! (Slow pulls shoot soft, I don't think it will ever shoot "Hot")

LOVE the magazine/loader system though! Fun little guns, can still hold their own in more urban or close quarters games no problem!
jerryjjackson69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 09:10 AM   #4 (permalink)
Bestial Bowman

Brass N Wood Fan
Kilt Fan
Next time you're up at YPC, it might be worth asking Andy about them - think he used to have one; probably still has it if his other Splatties are anything to go by.

Only thing I really know about them is that you've got to rotate the mag after every 5 shots (small mag), it's a series of 4 tubes in there.

STRIDERS Youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6m9S2HYH7A-YVZzoq9QkBw
STRIDERS on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Stride...98060457001863

Quote:
Originally Posted by markcheb View Post
Despite their proximity, the Wolfman from Leeds is not related to any werewolf in London, but he is first cousins with the Northern Mi dogman.
Wolfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 09:18 AM   #5 (permalink)
random probability waves

Brass N Wood Fan
I love them - just a hoot to play with.

yes, the trigger pull is a bit long and heavy but its not really that bad
TANSTAAFL

Quote:
Originally Posted by stimpy
here's your chance to be cool like Don
Quote:
Originally Posted by stimpy
don is on the path to everlasting coolness
Quote:
Originally Posted by DashHopes
OMG boobs, beers and Chad Thompson. Nothing could be better.
Bored383 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 01:48 PM   #6 (permalink)
Paroxysm

Any idea on the clips needed to hold the black attachment plate to the gun itself?
Old 05-05-2014, 02:49 PM   #7 (permalink)

One of my first playing and owning of a paintball gun is a splatmaster rapide (the other a splatmaster).

I still have it along with the long barrel and 40 rnd mag.

I have rebuilt mine a few times, cleaned out a ebay "good condition" with so much paint it was not funny. Some of it was oil based.

Very solid gun and one of the first semi auto type.

they are a blast to use.

Yes a long trigger pull and the mag sticking out of the side takes a little getting used to.

It bring me endless joy when I bring this (or the splatmaster) out and get mocked.

The mocking stops when I start getting people out with in in bush play.

It is not hard to maintain. The only things you need to watch for are these.

There is a small metal detent like wire in the frame (when you take it apart) by the trigger. Be careful because if it comes out its hard to find.

The valve really has no adjustments or repair. Its a one part item. Keep a little lube in it its usually fine.
Note the first shot of a new co2 12 gram usually comes out hot.

Be careful on screwing in a 12 gram. Too tight and you will vent all the gas out.

Scougar, to answer your question on the back plate of the gun.

It has no clips. It is held on by two screws.

I am not an "expert" but have lots of experience with them so if anyone has any questions just shoot me a pm or post here or both

Scrounger
scrounger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 03:29 PM   #8 (permalink)
Post Whore

I absolutely loved the Rapide I had in the 80s.

It was the first gun that I bought "new". I had rented up to that point. I ended up getting every possible option. ie Back bottle C/A, Direct feed (hopper), extended barrel, with suppressor, foregrip, dot sight, quick-release sling, squeegee mount, etc.

I used it for many years, and love it. The great advantage at the time was you could reload while firing, and it was extremely simple internally (unlike the Advantage, and Barracuda which both had funky linkage for the trigger).

The negatives were no FPS adjustment. The primitive internals made it difficult to do much about it. And the trigger. I liked it. It was much softer then the advantage and Barracuda. But much longer. You need to develop a rhythm- pull, release, pull, release. Otherwise, you WILL shortstroke, and chop a ball. And there is no easy way to clean it out.... so don't shortstroke.

"the evidence strongly suggests that neither Billy nor Adam (Smart Parts) could have invented the electronic paintgun" -Garr M. King, U.S. Judge
HP_Lovecraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 07:25 AM   #9 (permalink)

Thanks for all the replies gents. I think my search will continue then. One of the things I liked about it was the 20rounds in a mag. In some ways it remineds me of a tipx with a zeta. but smaller/more nimble?

I was wondering about modding potential for these (rapides/splatmasters/GZ1000) and and wondered if it would be possible to remove the pierce pin from the valve and replace it with a hole drilled and tapped for an NPT thread. My thinking was to go from that to an ASA thread making it possible to use a CCi 12gram changer in them. Not sure if this is possible as i've not seen the valve upclose.
biteweasel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 12:29 PM   #10 (permalink)
MCB Member

It was not a bad pistol at all, IMO.

I was recently talking to a friend about how easy I thought it would be to mod the breech, 3D print new mags and make one of these a nice 20rd first strike backup....

Rob

agentSmith is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » Sidearms