mcarterbrown.com  

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-25-2012, 12:11 AM   #16361 (permalink)
Old School
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Florida

CCM Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf425 View Post
I cringe everytime I hear someone say that.
its a .exe file that needs WINRAR to open. wont work on a mac.
Lead-Foot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 08:39 AM   #16362 (permalink)
Pop-Up Ninja
 
Murf425's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Brandon, FL

Okay, as long as you're not one of the "My Mac can't get viruses, no matter what I do...EVER!" kind of morons.

(I was unfamiliar with the virus in question, so your explanation makes sense.)
Murf425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 12:50 PM   #16363 (permalink)
Facta Non Verba
 
Deuce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: SCMO
Send a message via MSN to Deuce

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lead-Foot View Post
its a .exe file that needs WINRAR to open. wont work on a mac.
Did you actually read that link? The majority of those macs are infected with crap meant for windows OS. Lets be real, it has nothing to do with the mac being a superior OS in virus prevention. It comes down to market share. There are FAR more PC's out there than macs so there are obviously more viruses designed to target and exploit the PC user.

Macs aren't the golden egg as so many fan boys like to claim. They have nicely polished UI for sure but they often use the same components as a comparable PC that are just marked up exponentially and handicapped to play nice with their software.

I'll take a more powerful PC at a fraction of the price any day, even if it is a little more unstable.
__________________


Co-Captain/ Co-Founder
Team-Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopper duke View Post
I'd wipe, play-on and overshoot.
Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 04:47 PM   #16364 (permalink)
Active Member
 
lab79rat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf425 View Post
I cringe everytime I hear someone say that.
Whoah - Slow down there cowboy... I didn't say that Mac's don't get viruses. Just stated that THIS virus wouldn't infect a Mac. (.exe files and Macs don't typically mix) Like John pointed out, Apple has been quietly pushing out fixes that would take care of the malware that has infected up to 20% of the user base.

So, yes, I am a mac fan boy, but not a blind one!
lab79rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 04:52 PM   #16365 (permalink)
Active Member
 
lab79rat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
Did you actually read that link? The majority of those macs are infected with crap meant for windows OS. Lets be real, it has nothing to do with the mac being a superior OS in virus prevention. It comes down to market share. There are FAR more PC's out there than macs so there are obviously more viruses designed to target and exploit the PC user.
Agreed - there are a lot of ways to attack the linux underpinnings of Max OS X. .exe files are not typically one of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
Macs aren't the golden egg as so many fan boys like to claim. They have nicely polished UI for sure but they often use the same components as a comparable PC that are just marked up exponentially and handicapped to play nice with their software.
Macs certainly aren't perfect. That's why I have my IT guy on speed dial. Hard drives die, iCal server hardly ever works properly, and sometimes the beach ball of death pops up for no good reason. However, I certainly wouldn't call them handicapped. Closed system yes, handicapped, no.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
I'll take a more powerful PC at a fraction of the price any day, even if it is a little more unstable.
To each their own. I use windows in the lab because most equipment manufacturers require it. I am certainly no fan of windows, but recognize that it's the dominant platform. For me, I am more than happy to pay a (perceived) premium for reliability and stability.

So there
lab79rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 04:55 PM   #16366 (permalink)
Active Member
 
lab79rat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009

One more thing. Just for the hell of it, and inspired by Tom, I tried to open the virus on one of our back up macs that isn't doing anything. Got a file type not supported error, so I stand by my original assertion that this virus wouldn't do anything to a mac.
lab79rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 08:03 PM   #16367 (permalink)
Old School
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Florida

CCM Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by lab79rat View Post
One more thing. Just for the hell of it, and inspired by Tom, I tried to open the virus on one of our back up macs that isn't doing anything. Got a file type not supported error, so I stand by my original assertion that this virus wouldn't do anything to a mac.
classic

I tried opening it on my iPhone also :-p , couldn't open it.

How much coin would you like for that backup Mac that isn't doing anything?

Last edited by Lead-Foot; 04-26-2012 at 06:38 AM.
Lead-Foot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 07:36 AM   #16368 (permalink)
Post Whore
 
chrislognshot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopper duke View Post
Ya know, Chris is busy being other people. Someone needs to be Chris. Tom, you up for the job?

http://www.axial-photography.com/Oth.../XPX-85-X3.png
why don't you be the man and take one for the team since you brought the whole thing up
chrislognshot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 07:40 AM   #16369 (permalink)
Active Member
 
lab79rat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lead-Foot View Post
How much coin would you like for that backup Mac that isn't doing anything?
Would love to help you out, but I can't let it go. We have a back up computer in case any of our other computers go down. So, it does have a purpose, just not an immediate one.
lab79rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 07:47 AM   #16370 (permalink)
Active Member
 
lab79rat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009

So Murf and I (maybe Frank) are headed to Rumblewoods in Tampa on Saturday. Just FYI in case anyone else wants to come.
lab79rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

  mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » Local Games » Southeast

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:40 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO
© MCB Network LLC