mcarterbrown.com  

Old 01-26-2011, 05:35 PM   #9891 (permalink)
www.Axial-Photography.com

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
Well, my first real experience in dealing with Starbucks was in Fayetteville, Arkansas. It had a bunch of UofA students as both employees and customers. The idiot behind the counter almost got shot because I thought he was coming on to my girl.

This is a college town as well, so you get these college age kids with stars in their eyes and no real world experience. And skinny jeans. God how I hate the skinny jeans.

And I like your list. I would change a few things out of personal preference (Porsche instead of BMW {Miss my old 944}, Nikon instead of Canon, but that's about it). I don't drink the coffee, cofffee at Starbucks, but will enjoy a "frap" or a hot chocolate.

But even though you're Canon and I'm Nikon, I think we can both agree to hate Olympus equally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuce View Post

That's a bold statement.
I love GA, but I have to agree. But I can say that of most every state I've ever lived in, FL included.

Quote:
Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.
chopper duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 05:41 PM   #9892 (permalink)
Facta Non Verba

Send a message via MSN to Deuce

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
Well you do have Atlanta which has been one of the fastest growing cities for some time.

That statement just seems a bit elitist to me, sorry bro.

There are morons no matter where you go, but to say there's not a lot of bright minds in any place is a little of a stretch. Especially when referring states that have large growth and defense jobs.

Co-Captain/ Co-Founder
Team-Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopper duke View Post
I'd wipe, play-on and overshoot.
Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 06:29 PM   #9893 (permalink)
TomCross

Quote:
Well you do have Atlanta which has been one of the fastest growing cities for some time.

That statement just seems a bit elitist to me, sorry bro.

There are morons no matter where you go, but to say there's not a lot of bright minds in any place is a little of a stretch. Especially when referring states that have large growth and defense jobs.
I think income & intelligence are related, i'd be interested to know if that's the way it works in the military. Higher asvab scores give you the choice of better jobs and better jobs = more pay?
Old 01-26-2011, 06:34 PM   #9894 (permalink)
Facta Non Verba

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomCross View Post
I think income & intelligence are related, i'd be interested to know if that's the way it works in the military. Higher asvab scores give you the choice of better jobs and better jobs = more pay?
Job has nothing to do with pay in the military. Pay is the same across the board for everyone in all jobs. You get raises with promotions and also at certain points along the career path.

There are bonuses paid for what are deemed critical skills but that's it. Base pay is identical.

Pilots get paid a few dollars more, same with Paratroopers. The extra pay is minimal though for skills. That's why you see them trying to throw several hundred k at SF to retain them in the ranks and why they throw rank at officers in the medical field to get them to sign on.

Military pay is **** across the board. It only starts to get ok after you're half way up the rank structure or become an officer.

I gotta say though bro, if income=intelligence I must be special ed.

Co-Captain/ Co-Founder
Team-Awesome

Quote:
Old 01-26-2011, 06:40 PM   #9895 (permalink)
Facta Non Verba

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
If you mean earning potential that's one thing, but to say income is equal to intelligence is a bit off. There are plenty of folks out there with all kinds of degrees and they can't even get jobs flipping burgers.

I turned down an offer to start at over 100k a year so I could be home with my kids. Just some food for thought.

Co-Captain/ Co-Founder
Team-Awesome

Quote:
Old 01-26-2011, 06:41 PM   #9896 (permalink)
TomCross

There are idiots that win the lottery and buy ford mustangs in every color just because they can. They don't have the mental capacity to make more $ from their money.

A E-1 cook would make the same as an E-1 nuclear scientist because E-1 pay is the same? The cook and scientist positions would make the difference?

Does an O-1 make the same as E-1 or is the officer paid more because he has a college education?
Old 01-26-2011, 06:41 PM   #9897 (permalink)

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
Quote:
I kind of agree with this. HOWEVER, I've seen the children, grandchildren, nieces, nephews, etc of successful people get handed great jobs and they were dumber than a box of rocks. It's a lot of WHO you know, not WHAT you know. That's even more true in towns like mine where the Good Ol' Boy system is strong and blood runs deep.

I'm a very intelligent person, yet I can't find a job to save my life.

As for the Military, an ASVAB score does help you pick your job, and while some jobs carry more notoriety and glamor, you're still payed based on rank. Sure, some jobs allow ranking up faster, but some branches take longer to make rank in. Take the Air Force for example, it takes longer to make E4, E5, etc than in say the Navy or Army.

I scored a 95 on my ASVAB primarily because parts of the science were things I hadn't seen since High School, over a decade prior.

It's true that a position that requires a brilliant mind won't have an imbecile working in it. At least not for long. But that's not to say that all brilliant minds work in those types of fields. I've met very very bright people in Law Enforcement and the Military while I've worked with some of the stupidest people I care to know in the Tech world.

Quote:
Old 01-26-2011, 06:44 PM   #9898 (permalink)
Slowly making progress

Quote:
There are idiots that win the lottery and buy ford mustangs in every color just because they can. They don't have the mental capacity to make more $ from their money.

A E-1 cook would make the same as an E-1 nuclear scientist because E-1 pay is the same? The cook and scientist positions would make the difference?

Does an O-1 make the same as E-1 or is the officer paid more because he has a college education?
I went to school with a nuke tech, and I'm pretty sure he said he either started off as an E-3, or got there really quickly with certs.

O's have a 4 year degree, that's pretty much how it was explained to me in the simplest terms. You can go E->O, but that typically takes a degree being earned, or a lot of time in.

>>> Link to prototype Dust Devil<<<

DT1 Dust Devil want list. Click me!
Quote:
Originally Posted by neftaly View Post
New advertising tagline: "Simon Stevens said that will be totally fine and nothing bad could ever happen. Ever."
Feedback
desertT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 06:46 PM   #9899 (permalink)
Facta Non Verba

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
Quote:

E1 pay is the same regardless of specialty. Officers make more due to the "responsibility" of their position. In honesty though, the truly smart ones know they are just "in charge" and not actually In Charge at least in respect to company grade officers.

The NCO's are what keep things running because they have the experience and make far less. A brand new officer makes a hair less than an E6 with 6 years in his profession.

If you want to make a career out of the military the commissioned ranks are the way to go. Get smart on powerpoint, kissing ***, and watching out for your own OER and you'll go places...

That whole system needs an overhaul, the political bureaucracy is so deep you need chest waders to stay sane.

Co-Captain/ Co-Founder
Team-Awesome

Quote:
Old 01-26-2011, 06:55 PM   #9900 (permalink)

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertT1 View Post
I went to school with a nuke tech, and I'm pretty sure he said he either started off as an E-3, or got there really quickly with certs.

O's have a 4 year degree, that's pretty much how it was explained to me in the simplest terms. You can go E->O, but that typically takes a degree being earned, or a lot of time in.
Some AFSC's will grant you rank out of Tech or if you have some college. Nuke's is one of them, but their Tech School is forever long and you have to get top secret clearance and all. Their school is in the same school house as Ammo. We call them Glow Worms.

You pretty much have to have a degree to be an officer. I know a few who went Enlisted to OCS after getting a degree and became an officer. I think a few years of enlistment makes a better officer. See how the other half does it.

Quote:
E1 pay is the same regardless of specialty. Officers make more due to the "responsibility" of their position. In honesty though, the truly smart ones know they are just "in charge" and not actually In Charge at least in respect to company grade officers.

The NCO's are what keep things running because they have the experience and make far less. A brand new officer makes a hair less than an E6 with 6 years in his profession.

If you want to make a career out of the military the commissioned ranks are the way to go. Get smart on powerpoint, kissing ***, and watching out for your own OER and you'll go places...

That whole system needs an overhaul, the political bureaucracy is so deep you need chest waders to stay sane.
This. All of it. I know some good Officers and I know some I would trust to change a light bulb.

Quote:

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » Local Games » Southeast