mcarterbrown.com

Old 02-10-2012, 09:12 PM   #1 (permalink)

Centerfeed - What's the point?

You will have to forgive me if there is a "no duh" answer to this one but I've been away from the game for over a decade now and centerfeed was not used at the time that I was playing. All of the guns in production were basically rightfeed or leftfeed. So, its a little weird to check in on paintball and see so many centerfeed designs.

I can kind of see the idea of it from an electro standpoint, as they probably want to have the easiest way to feed the balls directly into the gun and aimed shots aren't quite as important (you still aim but shots per second is every bit as important to them). However, I kind of scratch my head when I look at the Sterling STP with the centerfeed design. The STP in the 90s was always a rightfeed design and was considered the Rolls Royce of pumps, as it was basically advertised as such and was the only pump that Smart Parts carried and customized.

To me, I would think it would sort of hinder the pump player from getting good aimed shots, since it would seem to obstruct your view. Also, you can't mount a red dot sight on it, for obvious reasons, which some pump players would hate. So, is there a reason they thought that was a good way to redesign the STP? You would think they would offer all 3 styles instead (centerfeed, rightfeed, leftfeed).
Jardine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 09:23 PM   #2 (permalink)
Moderator General

Fan of EMR
A lot of folks will tell you rf throws the balance of the gun off. Then some of those same folks tilt the gun to site

Single triggers and right feed FOREVER!!

"But if somebody left you out on a ledge, If somebody pushed you over the edge, If somebody loved you and left you for dead,
You got to hold on to your time till you break through these times of trouble"
Temple of the Dog
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironnerd88 View Post
Tournament play is about the worst spectator sport out there. I would rather watch Synchronized Dungeons & Dragons.

My Feedback: http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/s...3932#post13932
Chappy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 09:51 PM   #3 (permalink)

I was always under the impression that right and left feed were originally established because of blow black issues with most guns. With the huge movement to speedball center feed seemed to become increasingly popular. I think making the STP centerfeed allows players to easily transit between modern semis to their pumps. I remember playing with my first centerfeed gun, it was quite a challenge from my powerfeeds.
Old 02-10-2012, 10:02 PM   #4 (permalink)
Wookie D*ck

I personally prefer right feed guns for exactly the reasons you describe

"Open Class" pumps are designed to have high capacity hoppers and large tanks, but remain compact. Vertical feed lets them do that easily, and it seems to suit most people transitioning from semi autos.
russc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 10:09 PM   #5 (permalink)

I always preferred my power feed left automag, because as a right handed shooter, it placed the hopper behind the bunker. While I think center feed may have started for the lack of bends in the feed path, I think it's become more useful as an ambidextrous way to get the hopper behind the bunker, and I much prefer it now over a side feed. With a slight tilt you can conceal the hopper behind the bunker from the left or right.
Blackops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 11:05 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chappy View Post
A lot of folks will tell you rf throws the balance of the gun off. Then some of those same folks tilt the gun to site

Single triggers and right feed FOREVER!!

That is basically my feeling on the subject. I started playing with right-feed guns and if I get back into it, I would want to do it again with a right feed gun. If I went with a Sterling, I guess I would have to go with the Sterling Bronze, since it has the right feed. I would be a little nervous about that, though, as it seems to be targeted more towards the rental crowd, which makes me believe that it isn't of same quality as the STP has been known for.
Old 02-10-2012, 11:07 PM   #7 (permalink)
THE NEW PA

i like the lack of a plastic elbow to replace
Old 02-10-2012, 11:17 PM   #8 (permalink)
Blue - Red

CCM Fan
I ask the exact opposite question - why RF or LF.

When you learn to open BOTH eyes and shoot a paintball marker (what I feel) properly - the balance is correct, there is less exposure - the paint feeds faster - and the hopper can sit lower.

There are NO negatives to centerfeed as there are in RF / LF play.

TF

TF's MCB Trust.
Talfuchre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 11:21 PM   #9 (permalink)

Some people would want to use a red dot site on their pump for woodsball sniping. Some think sights/scopes are impractical but others swear they can make a difference if you sight them in just right and practice your shot. You can't use a sight with a centerfeed, only with a rightfeed or leftfeed.
Old 02-10-2012, 11:23 PM   #10 (permalink)

Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jardine View Post
Some people would want to use a red dot site on their pump for woodsball sniping. Some think sights/scopes are impractical but others swear they can make a difference if you sight them in just right and practice your shot. You can't use a sight with a centerfeed, only with a rightfeed or leftfeed.
that is incorrect, I've used armson sights and izons on many of my center feed guns

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » Sterling