mcarterbrown.com  

Tiberius Arms Everything Tiberius

Old 08-21-2012, 01:00 PM   #1 (permalink)

pouches and FS tactics

Hoping to get better feedback here that what I got at TA forums.
I am looking for opinions, experience feedback before I buy on what others are doing for concealed/distance play.

I am running a T9 with FS upgrades (TA kit and Lapco FS barrel, cartridges) , 4X32 X-bow scope, and am trying to figure out a pack/pouch setup for sniper/concealed play. I am concerned about clanking while running and ease of release/sound when removing a mag from a pouch. Tactics I have been entertaining a method using a camo blanket rather than a suit.

So far I think wtfpb has the best custom pouches I have seen. No velcro, sound or clanking while running. However I dont speak from experience (have not bought any yet). FS rounds I have found can be faster loaded via a pouch (loose) rather than a tube so I might stick with a small dump pouch for reloading mags. Although the tube method gives you the exact amount to load.

For carrying I was thinking of using a backpack or bike carrier type bag where you could move to a position, (prone or kneeling) cover with a blanket, and layout (flip open) a bag or something similar and have all your mags etc exposed right there under the blanket with you. If you needed to move quickly you could stuff the blanket (or leave draped on shoulders), and close the flap, throw bag over your shoulder and secure/move.

all feedback appreciated on how folks are running rigs, concealment ideas, pouches, packs... etc...

TIA
S
ruraldawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 04:31 PM   #2 (permalink)

I feel your pain on this issue. I have been playing as a sniper for lots and lots of years. Everyone wants to talk about gillie suits no one wants to talks about belly crawling and the kind of gear that you need to have to be good at that. Before I start, let me say that even after years of searching, I haven't found the perfect solution. I'm not convinced that such a thing even exists.

By way of background, I have played with a T9 with a first-strike conversion kit for years. It became a back-up to the T9.1 about 1 1/2 years ago. I also recently added a CCM SR1 to my list of guns. I also carry a T8 whenever I am on the field. I use first strikes exclusively.

I reason I don't believe that you can find a perfect equipment answer to your question is because gear has to match the mission. The SR1 is perfect for some jobs and not so well suited for others. Vests and pouches are like that too. Before every event, I checked in with whomever is generalling the event and find out what it is they want me to do. Those assignments range from crawling all the way through enemy lines to shoot the other general to staying back and guarding my own general and his HQ from sneaky snipers to prevent them from taking him out. Once I found out what it is I am supposed to do, then I determine what gun and gear best fits the task.

For example, if the mission is something requiring mobility, like moving behind my own lines and radioing intelligence about what is happening on the field or at a particular battle (more times than not that is what the general wants) then I need to be moving, mobile, and carrying a lot of ammo to help out where I am needed. That means a Blackhawk vest with lots of mags and the T9.1 with its short barrel and tactical foregrip that converts into a bipod. I certainly can (and have) belly crawled dragging the T9.1 but with intelligence-type mission I don't end up doing much of that.

If the mission is going deep behind enemy lines to take out a specific target or retrieve some object then I will be spending a lot of time on the ground. For that kind of thing I will use the SR1 if the object of is shooting, or the T9.1 for retrieving or scouting. I will shed the Blackhawk and use the Spec Ops P3. Everything on the P-3 (except the dump pouch which I often just detach) is on the sides or back mounted on a belt like arrangement. I couple that with a camo hydration daypack by Camelbak. I always use the tactical suspenders with the P3 because it better supports the weight of my mags, radio, and tactical leg holster.

I always wear a Webtex Concealment vest cut-off at the waist. It is made of a green mesh with attachments for some rudimentary strips of camouflage that stay on it permanently, but it also has a large number of places for vegetation which I start working into the vest as soon as I am on the field. The vest does not cover my chest area. It is meant to conceal my back, shoulders, upper arms, and (with the detachable sniper hood) my head. Unless high temperatures make it impracticable, I always wear it, just stripping it of veg. if I am doing something that doesn't require it. After wearing all kinds of gillie suits and 3d camouflage, I have found that I can do everything I need to do with just the Concealment Vest fully vegged out.

My blog site has pictures of all of the stuff I mention here. I am not saying that my stuff is the answer to your question. It is just the way I have resolved the issues for the way I play. Good luck in your search.
Trinity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 04:44 PM   #3 (permalink)

VERY nice post, great points, thanks, Ill check out your blog.

I have been reading about the SR-1 today, however it doesn't seem in production yet. As well I think M.A.G. is offering up SAR-12 which looks like a awesome sniper machine, but pricey at 1k US$.
ruraldawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 06:28 PM   #4 (permalink)
Post Whore

CCM Fan
Going light and shooting from a static position I use a sniper veil,I have several to match diffrent enviroments.I slip it in my cargo pocket and pull it out when needed.I have a slight hole for my scope in it.I am with trinity on mission esencial gear.I am not a gilly guy anymore.
Old 08-21-2012, 07:35 PM   #5 (permalink)

Old leather Mosin Nagant Ammo Pouches. I store the FS in ten round tubes so that the paint accumulates toward the front, and then on the field I use these pouches. I run FS breach fed in a Trracer though.

I'm looking for Longbow magazines as well as an Ion.
Rover Lead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 07:57 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruraldawgs View Post
VERY nice post, great points, thanks, Ill check out your blog.

I have been reading about the SR-1 today, however it doesn't seem in production yet. As well I think M.A.G. is offering up SAR-12 which looks like a awesome sniper machine, but pricey at 1k US$.
The SR1 prototypes are being sold and that's what I am using. The delta guys are using them quite a bit and seem to like them. Like everyone else, I am waiting to see the testing on the SAR12 along with Mil-Sig's and Scarab Arm's new rifles.
Trinity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 09:13 AM   #7 (permalink)
Bestial Bowman

Brass N Wood Fan
Kilt Fan
Have you thought about a H-Harness?
They're light enough and flexible enough to allow for concealed movement, but maintain the carrying capacity of an assault vest.
I run mine with 4 Full-Clip tib pouches (velcro closure though) and a dump pouch on the rear - never had a problem with sway (or noise for that matter).

You can fit 12g's (if you need them) or a radio on the shoulder straps if you require that kind of thing, plus it will easily fit over or under a concealment vest if you're planning on using one.

As trinity said though, it does depend on the mission and what strokes you as an operator use - I normally forgo "propper" camouflage in favour of a UBACS shirt and just use the environment to get close (I use the 8.1, so I don't snipe per se, but instead use the same tactics to infiltrate then take out key targets with the FS).

Then again, it also depends on how many rounds you think you're going to use...
Wolfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 11:37 AM   #8 (permalink)
Snake

Brass N Wood Fan
something new from milsig for tiberius users

might need to get one to try it out ,hopefuly they tested them
SASBRANDO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 03:18 PM   #9 (permalink)
Bestial Bowman

Brass N Wood Fan
Kilt Fan
Aw man, they look beautiful!
Wolfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 11:27 PM   #10 (permalink)
LT.
Post Whore

Kilt Fan
WTFPB is a good buy he does have a lead time of a few weeks at times.. But If I didn't make gear I would buy his..... I will have a Tiberius Arms mag pouch out soon as well. also made with no hook and Loop..

Contact... Kevin@operatortacticalgear.com
LT. is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » Tiberius Arms