mcarterbrown.com  

Old 10-27-2011, 12:54 AM   #1 (permalink)
Mill Monkey

Tippmann Consistency and Efficency

You don't see those words a lot in the Tippmann section

That said, I've resurrected my very (second) paintball gun, my A5 from six or seven years ago, and turned it into a B5. I'm absolutely in love with it.

But the setup of a small bullpup somewhat necessitates the use of air on the gun, otherwise you limit the mobility afforded by the design. I'm running a 13ci-3000 tank and a palmers stabilizer, and I get roughly 90 useable shots with a 14' J&J. I chrono right at field velocity by turning the stock velocity adjuster screw all the way out and tune with the stabilizer, like I've read that I should be.

Here's my question; what can I do to eek a little more efficency and possibly shot to shot consistency out of my setup? I've read about an RVA, spring kits, etc, but I don't know how well they will play with the stabilizer. Also, would switching to 3.5oz CO2 (or a larger size thats not too much longer/fatter than a 13ci) give you any more shots between fills? And would that be worth having to unscrew the tank rather than just fill the HPA on the gun?

MCB Feedback
SpecOps Feedback

Laws of Thermodynamics;
1) You cannot win, you can only break even.
2) You cannot break even.

Echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 01:10 AM   #2 (permalink)
Original SWARM

You will get a lot more shots per tank size from CO2 but unscrewing to fill is the downside.

You can try a "low pressure kit" since you are already using a reg.
It comes with a larger line for the cyclone, lighter hammer,volume chamber and a higher flow valve/body.

Do you have a picture of your setup ?
Or where did you mount the tank ?

Last edited by Smiley; 10-27-2011 at 03:42 AM.
Smiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 04:11 AM   #3 (permalink)
Mill Monkey

I don't have any on the computer but I can definitely get some. The tank is mounted under the grip where the standard drop/ ASA would be, not back where the Tippmann ASA would be.

MCB Feedback
SpecOps Feedback

Laws of Thermodynamics;

Old 10-28-2011, 05:57 AM   #4 (permalink)
Official LL5 Dolphin-Dive

Send a message via AIM to PistolRogue

The most efficient I ever got my A5 was with polished internals, JCS Red Hot powertube, Orange Nano Bolt, Maddmann Red Spring, and a palmers stab on my remote line. Brought the pressure down to 700 or so that way and left the FVA completely open. Could get a hopper and 10 pods off an 88/45 with air to spare. Never really used it with a smaller tank for comparison but compared to stock it was a pretty big difference. Also- a lot of people don't go for this but replacing the Cyclone with a Rip Clip and plugging the air port for the Cyclone will let you reliably shoot farther into a given tank since the Cyclone needs more pressure to cycle than the gun does. You get the added advantage of much fewer breaks in cold weather too.

I never got around to trying it but I would also hazard a guess that if you were to do away with the Tippmann "ball-latch" detent and drill/tap for a cocker-style detent you could also squeeze a few more shorts out. I know this was good for almost half a mag more shots on my TPX with much less gradual drop off. Shots stayed closer to full power until it just gassed out. Those stupid rubber "tongue" detents they use put an incredible amount of drag on the bolt compared to a ball and spring detent.

Never tried it but the TechT Zero-kick Hammer or NDZ variable-weight hammer may allow increased tuneability when mated with a spring kit and a regulator as well.

There, I'm pretty sure those are all of the random things I thought of trying but never did before I just wound up switching to pistols, pumps, and electros for my fullsize markers. Good luck with the B5 there are times when I still miss mine but the back plate was really uncomfortable to me as I shoulder high.
FEEDBACK

Last edited by PistolRogue; 10-28-2011 at 06:00 AM.
PistolRogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 05:05 PM   #5 (permalink)
DMS - Echo Team

I'm using a 13/3k on my a5, and getting around the 200 mark for shots, polished internals, zero kick hammer and red power tube. With a few things you can get some good efficiency. I'm usually +-4 fps when chronoing as well, not as good as some, but not terrible.
Old 10-28-2011, 05:14 PM   #6 (permalink)
Straight 6 DID Bust!

Buy an RVA and sweet spot it.
Kermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 06:23 PM   #7 (permalink)
Original SWARM

The rip clip will add some weight, the stock cyclone will function at 350 psi with the LPK air supply line. a volume chamber of some kind in the tombstone ASA is needed at lower pressures, like a sidewinder reg with a tall top or a gas thru with a large internal volume.
Smiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 06:31 PM   #8 (permalink)
Slowly making progress

Just my opinion, but it seems like a lot of cost in added parts when you could throw a tac cap on there for your 90 balls and go for it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mar View Post
I really like the picture posts, because I don't understand most of the word posts.
desertT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 08:49 PM   #9 (permalink)
Mill Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertT1 View Post
Just my opinion, but it seems like a lot of cost in added parts when you could throw a tac cap on there for your 90 balls and go for it.
I'm actually running a Tac cap on it's lowest (30ish balls) capacity. I love it, but I'd still like to eek out what I can between fills. What exactly does the JCS powertube do? And Smiley, would a palmers male reg give you that volume, and what exactly goes into changing out the air line? Is it as easy as getting larger hose and air through bolts?

MCB Feedback
SpecOps Feedback

Laws of Thermodynamics;

Old 10-28-2011, 09:59 PM   #10 (permalink)
Post all the things!

CCM Fan
the JCS tube, other than sounding awesome (nice metal ping sound with some umph), slides in and out of the marker really well for cleaning. If you get the gold tube it doesn't even have a hole for the FVA. The aluminum makes for a smoother ride for the bolt which just gives you slightly more efficiency. Combine it with a good scrubbing of the internals and you definitely make your A5 a little easier on the gas.

When I had my A5, I loved having the JCS tube in it. Removing the push pins and the tombstone, I could hold the marker straight up and the internals would just fall out. I know a few A5's where you have to take the clamshell apart as the power tube is not sized well in relation to the body. The valve also comes out of the JCS with just a slight nudge of an allen wrench. Again, practically no effort. It is hands down the best upgrade for the A5 just on convenience alone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbthebenji View Post
I'll be munching on this box for months!
tencent is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » Tippmann