mcarterbrown.com

mcarterbrown.com (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/)
-   Tippmann (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/tippmann/)
-   -   So having a bit of trouble with my 98C (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/tippmann/228742-so-having-bit-trouble-my-98c.html)

Sigmaprojects 03-13-2013 06:13 PM

So having a bit of trouble with my 98C

A long time ago I lost all power in my 98C, wasn't firing right, took it apart couldn't figure it out, then saw a very thin hairline crack on the power tube. So figured I'd replace it with a metal one. Put it all back together but now I get some weird results. It shoots fine, then I get some inconsistencies... don't know what I'm doing wrong. To further explain, I can see gas blow back through the feed neck for the hopper, sometimes. Also sometimes I'll pull the trigger and it acts like how you would think you're out of CO2 where it farts and doesn't have enough pressure to kick back the rear bolt. I also have a different front bolt, an aluminum one.

What do you guys think it is?

Axel 03-13-2013 06:20 PM

I wonder if there's too much friction between the metal tube and aluminum bolt? Is your input pressure high enough, if using HPA?

Murf425 03-13-2013 06:23 PM

Have you checked the bolt o-ring?

Sigmaprojects 03-13-2013 06:35 PM

Axel, doesn't seem to be any excessive friction between the front bolt and power tube.

Murf425, the rear bolt or front bolt? I guess would be good to check both.

DoC19K 03-13-2013 06:39 PM

Who makes the metal power tube? Is the bolt stock? Small things or bad parts can make a world of difference, thinking you are going to upgrade a part may result in worse performance because the new part is crap or it doesn't go well with the existing parts in the marker.

Sigmaprojects 03-13-2013 06:42 PM

power tube is just random one off ebay. It seemed like it sealed just fine. The rear bolt is stock, I like the feel of the stock bolt over lightened ones.

Sigmaprojects 03-13-2013 07:44 PM

Ok, so took it all apart again, no leak from the CO2 line to the valve body but I do notice that if blow on the power tube from the front it leaks near the gas line. Since this is an old 98C it doesn't have that O-ring around the gas line like the newer ones have. I was thinking maybe I should replace the valve body with a newer one that has the o-ring? And from looking at the parts diagrams I need to swap out the gas line and get a square nut to make it work.

Murf425 03-13-2013 08:15 PM

...or go on Ebay and buy a working 98C for the price you'd pay to fix that one.

Sigmaprojects 03-13-2013 08:21 PM

That's not a bad idea, lol. But I wouldn't know the condition. Think I can find a good one for 45 bucks?

Murf425 03-13-2013 08:25 PM

Just browse the "paintball markers" category sorted "price + shipping, lowest first", and there are plenty of 'em starting at .99