mcarterbrown.com

Old 04-17-2013, 01:30 PM   #1 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

TPX and a printer...

...A 3D printer that is.

So this is the plan, I'm working on getting a 13ci tank on the back. After messing around with some steel plates, I decided that it'd be much better to get a friend who has a 3D printer to print an adapter.

So I modelled a fairly simple adapter that should fit nicely on the TPX and can be printed easily. It's designed to have a simple duckbill asa on the back, and run a short hose to the remote line adapter.

Since I couldn't really get the measurements very exact, I've left out all the screw holes in the model and I'll drill them in the printed piece later. If this is all a success I might make a second one with some more detail and proper holes.

So that's the design. I've left out the rail in the first print to save cost (and because it couldn't fit in the printer). It'd probably be easier to just mount an off-the-shelf aluminium one on the top anyway. I've left enough clearance on the top for that.

Printing in progress as I'm writing this... Thanks Berm!

Material used is ABS, which is the same stuff Lego uses. It should be pretty strong and I plan to take it out to the Mahlwinkel biggame next month for a true field test.
Old 04-17-2013, 01:56 PM   #2 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

And it's done! Unfortunately it bent slightly during printing. A combination of a slightly too cold hotbed and an open window probably caused this... But it should fit nonetheless. I've left quite a large margin for each bolt.

Now I have to wait until sunday to actually see if it fits. Exciting!
Old 04-17-2013, 03:27 PM   #3 (permalink)
Same on A5OG

that's awesome!!
MeaT ShielD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 03:37 PM   #4 (permalink)
Asphincter Says What?

I like where you are going with this
Old 04-17-2013, 03:41 PM   #5 (permalink)
Bow
MCB Member

Brass N Wood Fan
Cool that looks like the one I have! =) Although mine only attaches on one side.
Bow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 05:11 PM   #6 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bow View Post
Cool that looks like the one I have! =) Although mine only attaches on one side.
is this one yours?
Tha DA!

I took some inspiration from that.

Also, we had another go at printing it. This time in 2 colours, for an awesome tacticool effect (actually there wasn't enough green or white plastic).

It came out less bent, but with some major cracks... We'll see if that can be fixed with some glue.

Old 04-18-2013, 05:27 PM   #7 (permalink)
Bow
MCB Member

Brass N Wood Fan
Yes it is! I bought it from that member not to long ago, but I'v been having some trouble with my TPX so I haven't really used it much. I need to call up Tippmann but I never get around to doing it.

Good luck with printing, I'm looking forward to see some mods for the TPX. I'll also keep my eye on this thread, I'm looking forward to seeing your completed piece. I'm sure there are plenty of people that would want one.
Bow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 01:29 PM   #8 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Update!

Still need to attach a rail and paint it but so far it's working as intended. I'm quite surprised by the strength of the plastic. I've done some rough testing and it felt like the cheap Ion ASA would break before the plastic would!

This also allows me to cut down on the size alot for a v2.0. I'm thinking of basically leaving the whole white section off and just attach it at 2 points instead of 3. I've done it with this bracket, and although it would lose its triangle shape I think it'll still hold. The main point of stress isn't in the triangle anyway so it shouldn't make too much difference. This also allows it to become alot slimmer. It's quite "fat" right now with a width of about 55 mm (just over 2 inches I believe). It should be able to be around 40mm.

I'll also have to do some new measurements. It seems I either measured wrong or something went wrong in the scale conversion between the 3d program and the printer. the whole bracket seems about 10mm shorter than it should be. This resulted in me having to cut away quite a bit of the rear end on the inside. The result can seen in the photo; the ASA should be much closer to the bracket than it is now and the rear top bolt should be just in front of the bevelled section.

A v2.0 will be something I'll attempt after the Mahlwinkel biggame next week, where I'll field-test this.

I'll make some more photo's this weekend and on the field next week.
Old 05-01-2013, 04:37 PM   #9 (permalink)
MCB Member

Beautiful!

For your next trick, I'll pay you to make a 10rd magwell extension that fits over the bottom of the grip and has bolts that replace the normal body bolt, plus a shoulder bolt that goes through the lanyard hole.

I have the 10rd mags, I could mail ya one if you have a way to scan it.

This would be a great way to make a magwell for the double 12g mag.

Rob

agentSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 04:42 PM   #10 (permalink)
Rec Poster

Love the look so far. Are you making a second to try to improve where the asa is? Looking forward to more. I think once painted it will look a lot more refined.

Quote:
Originally Posted by agentSmith View Post
Beautiful!

For your next trick, I'll pay you to make a 10rd magwell extension that fits over the bottom of the grip and has bolts that replace the normal body bolt, plus a shoulder bolt that goes through the lanyard hole.

I have the 10rd mags, I could mail ya one if you have a way to scan it.

This would be a great way to make a magwell for the double 12g mag.

Rob
I'll let Rob pay you, see how it works, then buy one myself!

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » Tippmann