mcarterbrown.com

Old 01-28-2008, 09:56 PM   #1 (permalink)

'05 Pro Stock pump conversion

A buddy of mine is selling an '05 Pro Stock for $150. I'm thinking about picking it up for the purpose of converting it to a pump but I'm not too up on this marker or its quality as a pump compared to say, a Phantom or Series 6.

Thoughts? Comparisons?

Deadbox Apparel | Deadbox's Myspace | Deadbox on Facebook
Proudly Supported by: My Wife | WPN | Lapco l Tiberius Arms | SC Village | Tippmann | JT
zulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 10:03 PM   #2 (permalink)
Banned

The 05 prostock is a hell of a 'cocker... I've got one with a CCM kit and it treats me well (and looks better than most stock 'cockers). $150 sounds like a good deal, and you'll probably be able to sell the lowers and pnues, then use the funds to buy a nice pump kit.

Obviously it's not going to perform the same way as a Nelson-based gun (like a Phantom or Mav) but I personally prefer stacked tube markers. It's not going to be as smooth as an S6, but with a CCM pump kit and decent internals you'll have a reasonable facsimile.
A.C. Basbas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 10:15 PM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks. When you say it won't perform the same way as a Nelson-based marker....please explain. Will it be less "accurate" or just less air/co2 efficient or both?

Proudly Supported by: My Wife | WPN | Lapco l Tiberius Arms | SC Village | Tippmann | JT
Old 01-28-2008, 10:19 PM   #4 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulu View Post
Thanks. When you say it won't perform the same way as a Nelson-based marker....please explain. Will it be less "accurate" or just less air/co2 efficient or both?
I find Sheridan-based guns to be a little less air-efficient, and a little bulkier. At the same time, I find that the 'cockers undercocking pumps are more comfortable, and offer more potentially for a "buttery" pump stroke. It's a matter of choice; there are zealots on both sides.

My advice would be shoot a Phantom, shoot a Sniper, and see which you like best. Then make your decision from there.
A.C. Basbas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 10:23 PM   #5 (permalink)

Thanks! I've shot the Phantom before but....i'll have to find someone who has a Sniper. Thanks again.

Old 01-29-2008, 02:42 AM   #6 (permalink)

Any other opinions? Thoughts? How easy/hard is it to convert an '05 Pro Stock to a pump? I saw a "how-to" convert another 'cocker to a pump thread here.....does that apply to the one i'm thinking about picking up?

Old 01-29-2008, 09:25 AM   #7 (permalink)
MCB Member

really easy to convert.

I think the comment above about it not being like a phantom is simply a statement of fact - it's not a phantom. That doesn't necessarily mean that it's less accurate, feels worse or anything else. I've shot both phantoms and snipers - and I chose the sniper.

I find phantoms too light to aim accurately. It's a matter of taste I suppose. You'll never get a sniper to be as compact as a phantom, but for me I can't get a phantom to shoot as nice as a sniper.
brycelarson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 10:49 AM   #8 (permalink)

Pull out the cocking rod and bolt, unscrew the backblock, take off the gripframe, and you can unscrew the frontblock. Screw the pump kit into the same hole and you are pretty much set. Autocockers only seem tricky if you are trying to make them "autocock". Pumping them is cake! Plus you get to sell the pneumatics which helps make up the cost. I am looking for a prostock LPR as we speak!! Good luck.
pintbuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 01:33 PM   #9 (permalink)

Yeah Zulu you should definitely get it.
"The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout 'Save us!'........and I'll look down, and whisper 'No.'" -Rorschach
TheECP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 11:38 AM   #10 (permalink)
MCB Member

Zulu,

I like the Sniper because of it's heft. There is a million things out there you can do with one and it's a great gun to work on. Kinda like the A-5 of the pump world in my opinion.

The next big question I would ask is, do you plan on running it off of co2 or compressed air? That will answer some questions about what you need to look at replacing. I will also recommend switching to a slider frame and ditching the hinge frame you have on there now. I think you'll find much more comfortable as opposed to shooting a hinge when pumping.

Take a look at Pumpenstein: 2006 NSA National Champions for pump reviews. VERY informative although I will add that I am using the Vendetta Deluxe kit and I like it a lot. Love the way it feels in my hand. (see the review of the vendetta under MCB Reviews It)

Overall, it's very easy to convert to a pump. It will take maybe 15 - 20 min to do it with standard hex keys and wrenches found in your common tool box.

And yes that thread you read does work with the 05 your are considering to converting

Geisterjager veteran OK D-Day. Making Allied players sorry for choosing blue is our specialty.

Last edited by Match; 01-30-2008 at 11:42 AM.
Match is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » WGP