mcarterbrown.com  

Old 02-08-2008, 09:06 AM   #1 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

How to check age of an Autococker?

I'm about to pick up an older Autococker with some rudimentary milling locally (found it on Craigslist..woot) and I was wondering if there were some easy ways to tell which year it's from? Some significant features I can see from the pic:

-Has an old style straight grip frame, like old Automags
-Chunky body (non rounded)
-Looks like a custom detente...wire type...pre detente?
-Looks to be set up for straight CO2/HPA
-Looks like it has a Rock, but the 3-way and Ram appear to be brass stock (could be a clippard ram, I guess)

How much is it worth? I'm mostly buying for the PGP that comes with it. If it isn't worth much either, I may just turn it into a pump too...maybe sprung for 12 grams?

edit:
More pics:

Now that I've got my hands on it, I can tell this cost a pretty penny back in the day. The trigger job is pretty damn good...no slop, and you can see someone installed a set screw, so somebody who knew what they were doing timed it. Very snappy trigger...very surprising, considering it's a stock frame.

I really like the sight rail milling...it's very intricate. Could use an anno job, I guess, but seems to be fine the way it is. There is a sear lug adjustment hole.

The serial # is only half milled off...I make it as 18515. How old does that make her? I oiled the bolt, and gassed her up. Leak out of the LPR relief hole, but otherwise, everything else seems to be in order. Dare I tear down the Palmer LPR? I'm tempted to just sell her...the PGP I scored out of the deal is all stock and very sweet. It has some cool Benjamin Sheridan faux wood grips...at least, I think they're faux.

Last edited by Quacker; 02-08-2008 at 05:33 PM.
Quacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 09:34 AM   #2 (permalink)
Passing through rider

Fan of EMR
Brass N Wood Fan
Pics help, but the sure fire way to tell is to follow it to the birthday party, and count the candles on the cake

Sounds pre2K obviously, maybe pre 97? Serial would really help if it is not milled off.
Riverside Renegade Paintball / C.C. S.V.S. Plankowner - LPPC#6
www.AzzysDesignWorks.com - best replacement jeep gauges in the biz
Old Timer Feedback
Azzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 09:39 AM   #3 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

lol...i'll put a motion activated camera next to it for the next couple of days, see if anything happens.
Old 02-08-2008, 09:42 AM   #4 (permalink)
WGP whore

I believe that it's a 96 or 97. Unfortunately it does look like your serial number has been milled off.

Had it been a blind body and not blue I would of jumped on it like an eithiopian on a steak dinner.

My Ex-Wife is ungrateful She Never Used the Wedding present I bought her......A COFFIN

http://www.myspace.com/baconfiend

http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...ht=jesterbuilt
Jesterbuilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 09:42 AM   #5 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Yeah, I guess if it were older, it would have that old style seriously chunky back block.
Old 02-08-2008, 09:50 AM   #6 (permalink)
Post Whore

Send a message via AIM to wolf13 Send a message via Yahoo to wolf13

back block means nothing, they were commonly chopped up, milled or replaced and its common to have the original back block gone. its difficult to see, but the sight rail looks squared indicating a pre 97 body. without better pics though, its going to be tough to tell. one other age indicator is whether theres a threaded ivg or not.
Old 02-08-2008, 10:04 AM   #7 (permalink)
68 Cal Junkie

in 97, the area behind the valve was enlarged, but you would have to pull the valve to check that. The wire detente was a common modification, and a lot better than the ball used today. The panel grips make me think its a 96 or earlier, and if it was orignially a squared back block (the shape of that one leads me to think that this was cut by a mod shop) from the factory it cold be as old as a 94. But like wolf said, this thing looks muddled enough to really hide its age. Honestly, any pre 2k body fits into the "really stinking old" category anymore and be happy that you scored such a nice snag off of craigslist. That gun looks like it has many years of rocking and rolling left in it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agglet View Post
Vampirism is no joke get tested.
spymongoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 10:15 AM   #8 (permalink)
WGP whore

It was the sight rail that I was going by. I have a really old one that the back block was chopped up a few times.

Had it been a blind body and not blue I would of jumped on it like an eithiopian on a steak dinner.

My Ex-Wife is ungrateful She Never Used the Wedding present I bought her......A COFFIN

http://www.myspace.com/baconfiend

http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...ht=jesterbuilt
Jesterbuilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 10:38 AM   #9 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

I have an old, '92-ish cocker. Serial number somewhere in the 5000's. It's probably one of the first semi's (Only way I can tell is from the pump arm). Unfortunatly, I don't have the pneumatics. If you decide to make this one a pump and willing to part out the complete front block and pneumatics, I might be interested.

Money is a bit tight atm, and the project has been going on for about 2 years now, so I'm in no hurry...

Last edited by P4p3Rc1iP; 02-08-2008 at 10:45 AM.
P4p3Rc1iP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 10:41 AM   #10 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

I'll take better pics when I actually get it in my hands. If it and the PGP leak badly, I may just walk away from the deal.

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » WGP