mcarterbrown.com  

Old 02-24-2008, 01:28 AM   #1 (permalink)
Official DSG Fanboy

97 autococker

I just received my first cocker and figured the best way to learn about this marker was to completely disassemble, clean and put her back together. Everything went great but after putting her back together I have some questions. After manually cocking and firing I noticed the back block has a gap of about 1/8" from the body, is this the proper gap? Also the pump rod will not move any further past this point, I think the ram bottoms out at this point, can't help but think this should be adjusted so the ram has some play after firing. Any help is appreciated.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertsr View Post
"So there I was, sitting at the keyboard one handed, and I said to myself, 'that really looks like you're wife'..."

Quote:
Originally Posted by PistolRogue View Post
Thing's lucky it scampered off because I would have skulled it to death if I'd managed to get my hands on it.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Moosepatrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 03:06 AM   #2 (permalink)

As far as back block spacing, a gap the thickness of a credit card is good. You want just enough space that the block doesnt slam the body; this could lead to an ugly finish or stripping of the pump arm threads.

It is better to have the ram bottom out than to have the ram throw the hammer lug up against the back of the body.
pummel u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 12:19 PM   #3 (permalink)
Post Whore

You're onto the whole setup and timing aspect. Cockers are fully adjustable in many ways but that means that there's lots of adjustments to be done.

There's a great setup and timing article at Moody Paintball Products in the Tech Arctiles section. It was my bible when I got my first couple of cockers.

A hint though. A lot of the adjustments in the later steps are based on what you did in the early steps. So start at #1 and work down. If you need to back track go back and adjust what you need and then redo all the others that come after. A lot of the stuff interacts. Especially the hammer lug and 3way setup points.

Step 1 is setting the back block gap.....

Oh, one aspect that is mentioned but passed over fairly fast is the cocking rod knob setup. when the ram pushes the back block back you should still be able to grab the cocking rod knob and pull it back another 1/16 to 1/8 inch. If you cannot do that then the thing stopping the ram travel is not the ram but the hammer lug smashing into the back of the lug slot in the body. This is not good. The ram travel is what should limit the back block travel, not the cocking rod and hammer lug.
miracle in some small way.........
Railgun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 11:20 PM   #4 (permalink)
Official DSG Fanboy

Okay got the spacing of the back block set, the ram travel stops the back block. So I gassed her up to see how she works, so I have a better understanding of how everything moves, leak out the back of the three way. Took the three way off and sure enough a nick out of the back o-ring. Question, where do I locate these o-rings, damn they are small.
Quote:
"So there I was, sitting at the keyboard one handed, and I said to myself, 'that really looks like you're wife'..."

Quote:
Thing's lucky it scampered off because I would have skulled it to death if I'd managed to get my hands on it.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 03-03-2008, 12:32 PM   #5 (permalink)
"Mag Afficionado"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moosepatrol View Post
Okay got the spacing of the back block set, the ram travel stops the back block. So I gassed her up to see how she works, so I have a better understanding of how everything moves, leak out the back of the three way. Took the three way off and sure enough a nick out of the back o-ring. Question, where do I locate these o-rings, damn they are small.
You'll need either another 3-way, a seal kit from WGP, or a lot of patience at the local hardware store.

What kind of 3-way is it?

Jordan
And God turned to Gabriel and said: “I shall create a land called Canada of outstanding natural beauty, with majestic mountains soaring with eagles, sparkling lakes abundant with bass and trout, forests full of elk and moose, and rivers stocked with salmon. I shall make the land rich in oil so the inhabitants prosper and call them Canadians, and they shall be praised as the friendliest of all people.”

“But Lord,” asked Gabriel, “Is this not too generous to these Canadians?”

And God replied, “Just wait and see the neighbors I shall inflict upon them.”
Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 12:38 PM   #6 (permalink)
Post Whore

Cocker Tech

I like this cocker timing guide - same info, just formatted better.

may want to bit the bullet and get one of these - you'll find similar kits from many websites. This way you'll have everything you need for the next o-ring that goes.

WGP Cocker O-ring Kit by Worr Games, Autococker Gun Upgrades at Paintball Express.com
brycelarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 11:07 AM   #7 (permalink)
Official DSG Fanboy

Okay ANS 3-way, found some o-rings from a hydraulic house nearby. Slightly larger thickness, but I.D. is the same. I think I'll have to break down and buy a kit from the manufacturer. I am wondering about the friction of a slightly larger o-ring in the three way. How sensitive is a three way to even the slightest bit from something like this. Also was on the ANS site, they have a similar three way for 12.95, would I be better off just to get a brand new one, and if so mine being a '97 do I have to look for any specific 3-way, are they compatible?
Quote:

Quote:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Last edited by Moosepatrol; 03-07-2008 at 11:46 AM.
Old 03-07-2008, 12:01 PM   #8 (permalink)
Ghost with the most

Send a message via AIM to Phantom Power Send a message via MSN to Phantom Power

If it's just a slight bit larger, then it'll probably still work but more friction on the 4-way throw will yield a stickier trigger pull.
Phantom Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 12:39 AM   #9 (permalink)
"Mag Afficionado"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moosepatrol View Post
Okay ANS 3-way, found some o-rings from a hydraulic house nearby. Slightly larger thickness, but I.D. is the same. I think I'll have to break down and buy a kit from the manufacturer. I am wondering about the friction of a slightly larger o-ring in the three way. How sensitive is a three way to even the slightest bit from something like this. Also was on the ANS site, they have a similar three way for 12.95, would I be better off just to get a brand new one, and if so mine being a '97 do I have to look for any specific 3-way, are they compatible?
With the exception of the backblock and bolt, and the front block and screw, every Cocker part, aftermarket or stock, will fit any year Cocker.

So yes, any 3-way will fit and work on any year Cocker.

I would suggest another 3-way, as the WGP parts kit is roughly $40-$50, and a 3-way is, as you discovered, VERY cheap. The kit is handy if you plan to rebuild anything on your Cocker, but the majority of the o-rings are for the stock parts, and may not fit aftermarket equipment.

Jordan
And God turned to Gabriel and said: “I shall create a land called Canada of outstanding natural beauty, with majestic mountains soaring with eagles, sparkling lakes abundant with bass and trout, forests full of elk and moose, and rivers stocked with salmon. I shall make the land rich in oil so the inhabitants prosper and call them Canadians, and they shall be praised as the friendliest of all people.”

“But Lord,” asked Gabriel, “Is this not too generous to these Canadians?”

And God replied, “Just wait and see the neighbors I shall inflict upon them.”
Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 04:27 PM   #10 (permalink)
Official DSG Fanboy

Okay got the three way orings replaced and gassed up my cocker (note to self install top hats so I don't have a hose whip my finger again), so it holds air, but back block goes back to cock the gun but stays there. Now a previous post stated this is probably having the hoses in the wrong places correct? Also I think my three way rod might not be catching the front airway on my three way. I read in an autcocker timing guide to push the trigger rod all the way against the three way rod and tighten the allen screws. Is it possible I have also shortened the travel too much?
Quote:

Quote:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » WGP