mcarterbrown.com

mcarterbrown.com (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/)
-   WGP (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/wgp/)
-   -   The mysterious "R" 'cocker (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/wgp/7944-mysterious-r-cocker.html)

Layman 12-16-2006 02:06 AM

The mysterious "R" 'cocker

So I sold that old cocker on eBay. The buyer is trying a new approach to backing out of the purchase. He claims that when he called WGP they told him that the "R" stamp meant that it was a rental and was not offered for sale - thus is stolen. Aside from the fact that the manufacturer doesn't directly rent guns... And that rentals were made for fields (and had to be bought by the fields...) The new owners of WGP would have no idea about something made in the mid eighties... Where are ya Drum? Need a lawyer's savvy on this one.

Railgun 12-16-2006 03:35 PM

And the fields never sell of their old rentals?

Gatorade 12-17-2006 07:55 AM

File a non-paying bidder and relist. When you relist, include in your description that it's probably a former rental, acquired by legitimate means.

Layman 12-17-2006 08:21 PM

Guy says that he knows Bud Orr personally and heard it from him... Anyone here have the Orr man's number, or know if he is the one listed in the Texas phone directory?

UThomas 12-17-2006 08:26 PM

R stands for Reject not rental I think. As in it was out of tollerance. At least per www.customcockers.com forums...

Layman 12-17-2006 08:45 PM

Big site, can you link the actual page?

frederic 12-17-2006 08:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UThomas (Post 70281)
R stands for Reject not rental I think. As in it was out of tollerance. At least per www.customcockers.com forums...

My refurbished trilogy sport that I got for pretty cheap has a 'R' stamped on the side. (see this picture between the vertical ASA and the grip frame).

As for the eBay auction, all questions are supposed to be asked before bidding. If the 'R' was obvious in the ad's description or photo, there was nothing hidden.

The best you can do is give them bad feedback as a nonpaying bidder and relist it. You can't force them to pay.

Layman 12-17-2006 09:06 PM

But then I get a retaliatory negative, and that sucks.

Brinstar 12-17-2006 09:45 PM

I would send him an email stating that it is common practice for fields to sell off their rental equipment as it becomes outdated. Unless WGP looked up the specific serial number against a list of known stolen items, then there is no reason to suspect that this was stolen. And let him know that by winning the auction he is contractually bound to purchase the marker unless he can prove that it was indeed stolen.

If he doesn't like that, then I would do the non-paying report, and leave him bad feedback. Sure he will return fire with bad feedback of his own, but you can add a comment to his post stating the facts. The negative will suck, but others need to be aware of his attempt to back out of a sale. Hopefully you've got enough positive feedback that one negative won't hurt too much. I think eBay gives you the option to challenge negative feedback. I'm sure it's a pain, but it might be an option.

Painthappy 12-17-2006 09:49 PM

R didn't mean rental. If it did, there would be a hell of a lot more of them out there. AND, as it was said before, even if it was, um... they are no longer being used a rentals and would have been sold.

Either that, ask this guy for Bud Orr's number (since he knows him personally) so you can talk to him. See if he ponies up since they are "friends". I think you'll see him cave.

Give him the "Give me Bud Orr's number so I may verify this information, otherwise, I can just consider the bid canceled and we can move on..."

That might work out.

CB