mcarterbrown.com  

What Is It? Even after cleaning off the dust.... Still don't know what you have? Let the knowledgeable old-timers help you out

Old 03-21-2007, 03:22 PM   #1 (permalink)
Post Whore

What kind of barrel is this? (big images)

So I've had this around...got it with a VM from ebay last year. It's heavy (stainless? nickeled brass?), it has straight rifling, and some funky porting. It's also got an OD of point eight. Any ideas?

Please excuse my big images.

III
Next time add more yelling and crazy camera angles. Maybe start an episode with you parachuting into your attic, then you immediatley come under fire from the french resistance. I can see it now....
Please read the MCB Rules.
SuperHiQuality87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 03:34 PM   #2 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Old J&J hardchrome barrel.
fossilhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 04:00 PM   #3 (permalink)
Post Whore

About how much could one of these in this condition fetch?
Next time add more yelling and crazy camera angles. Maybe start an episode with you parachuting into your attic, then you immediatley come under fire from the french resistance. I can see it now....
Old 03-21-2007, 04:04 PM   #4 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Not sure for VM's. I used to shoot one on a cocker. They are hardchrome over brass. I think mine ran about $40 but that was a while ago, and for a more common gun. So I can't really help you there.

Really nice barrels though.
fossilhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 04:37 PM   #5 (permalink)
Exterminate!

Send a message via AIM to WilD

Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
RTP Fan
All above is correct. I collect these in autococker threads. The AC version can usually be had for around $35 shipped in excellent condition, at least that is what I have been paying for nice ones. Sometimes less on ebay. Fantastic barrels imho.

These come in a ton of different varients because you could pretty much order whatever you wanted at the time. Plated/unplated, rifled/smooth, and all sorts of really funky porting. Yours is actually not that funky. I prefer the zig-zag patterns.
WilD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 04:50 PM   #6 (permalink)
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilD View Post
All above is correct. I collect these in autococker threads. The AC version can usually be had for around $35 shipped in excellent condition, at least that is what I have been paying for nice ones. Sometimes less on ebay. Fantastic barrels imho.

These come in a ton of different varients because you could pretty much order whatever you wanted at the time. Plated/unplated, rifled/smooth, and all sorts of really funky porting. Yours is actually not that funky. I prefer the zig-zag patterns.
Zig-zag, huh? do you have a picture of that handy I could see?

III

P.S., you wouldn't happen to want to trade me for one of those autococker ones, would you?
Old 03-21-2007, 08:44 PM   #7 (permalink)
Exterminate!

Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
RTP Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperHiQuality87 View Post
Zig-zag, huh? do you have a picture of that handy I could see?

III

P.S., you wouldn't happen to want to trade me for one of those autococker ones, would you?
I snapped a quick pick of some J&J brass barrels. Check out the muzzle on the top one, maybe it is more "stepped" than "zig-zag", but you can see what I'm trying to describe.

No, I don't want to trade any of them. I have no use for a VM barrel.
Old 03-21-2007, 10:30 PM   #8 (permalink)
Post Whore

Hey those are pretty cool! I like the pattern on the bare brass one. Do any of them have rifling?

It's allright, I was just wondering.

Thanks everyone for the help.

III
Old 03-21-2007, 11:03 PM   #9 (permalink)
Supernatural Anaesthetist

Send a message via AIM to Wycke

Hrm...I was thinking it looked more like SS. I thought the hardchrome ones were raw brass inside, but I guess I'm wrong. FWIW, I have a 12" SS J&J for my Pro-Lite with spiral porting, a slightly different type of muzzle brake, and no internal rifling. Heavy as hell, but it shoots beautifully with most of the small paint that's in fashion these days. I also had a 14" raw brass, internal straight rifling (4 lands, like yours), completely unported barrel on a Maverick way back when. That was an amazingly accurate barrel, even with lousy paint. Again, heavy as hell (esp. on such a light pump) and LOUD, but I rarely needed more than one shot to hit anything with it. Usually there would be a deafening crack from the end of the barrel, followed by a disgruntled-sounding "out" from across the field. I really wish I'd never sold that gun. Or the barrel.

s'ok...I'm takin' it back...

My Feedback Thread
Wycke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 11:02 AM   #10 (permalink)
Exterminate!

Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
RTP Fan
Quote:
Do any of them have rifling?
I know the unported one in my pick has the same straight rifling. I don't recall if the others do or not.

Quote:
I thought the hardchrome ones were raw brass inside
J&J plated the bore of their barrels. In fact, PPS is the only maker I know of that doesn't typically plate the bore of their brass barrels.

mcarterbrown.com » Museum » What Is It?