mcarterbrown.com

The Yard Sale If it is non-paintball related, then you should drop her off at our Yard Sale. Just because you don't need it, doesn't mean someone else might not want it.

Old 08-05-2006, 03:11 AM   #1 (permalink)
Post Whore

Send a message via MSN to Gabe

Ruger KM77VT MkII .223

With winter coming up a couple years ago I bought this rifle for shooting wolves with. Unfortunately I never got the time to actually go out and shoot wolves with it so it has been sitting under my bed collecting dust and getting used for target shooting every now and then.

The rifle is a Ruger KM77 Mark II chambered in .223. I've got a Leupold VX-II 6-18x on top of it and it's all sighted in with my handloads. I've got probably only 200 rounds through it, 90% light to medium strength handloads so the barrel is in pristine condition. The action is buttery smooth and this sucker is accurate. I've got a 1/2 MOA target I saved from sighting in that I'll take a pic of and put it up here later. It's sighted in for 50 Nosler ballistic tips over a medium load of Hogden Varget.

New, this setup was $1000 bucks and some change. I'm letting it go for $800 dollars. If buyer pays shipping fees, I'll throw in a set of .223 dies, my load info that it's sighted in for, and all the loads I have for it.

Thanks for looking. I'll get pics up in a while.

"What makes a VM so charming is that you can chop down small trees with it" - Jaan
Gabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2006, 09:14 AM   #2 (permalink)
Custom Gunslinger

Very nice setup for a nice price........for people that do not know the Rugers are very well built rifles based on the Mauser platform. Good luck with the sale

My Gallery
Feedback at MCB
Feedback at SCP
Cleric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2006, 10:06 AM   #3 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Agreed, great gun. Kinda need a hunting rifle right now too, shotguns and muzzle loaders don't always cut it. Do you make donations?
Old 08-05-2006, 01:50 PM   #4 (permalink)
Yiffy Support Gunner

Send a message via AIM to slvrwulf

Gabe, a few questions for you (since you are selling an actual firearm over the internet)

Are you a licensed gun dealer, who is able to ship[ firearms across state lines
Are you aware that instead of shipping to the buyer, you can only ship a firearm across state lines to a licensed firearms dealer ( gun store)
If either of these is violated, and it goes across State lines then it constitutes a violation of federal law

Can you be sure you are not selling this gun to someone who has been convicted of a felony, or any crime which results in them not being able to own said firearm? More than likely if someone who can't have this gets it, if they get in trouble they wont hesitate to point the finger to you, and to MCB as where the deal took place.

I don't mean to come off as cross, or an @$$hole, but I would hate to see MCB get into any form of trouble like above, as well as those who frequent the site.

If I were you, I would comply with shipping terms layed out by federal law: ( near bottom of this para:

Background
The Second Amendment of the BILL OF RIGHTS provides: "A well regulated MILITIA, being necessary to the security of the free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." The Supreme Court has historically defined the Second Amendment as giving states the right to maintain a militia separate from a federally controlled army. Courts have consistently held that the state and federal governments may lawfully regulate the sale, transfer, receipt, possession, and use of certain categories of firearms, as well as mandate who may and may not own a gun. As a result, there are numerous federal, state, and local laws in existence today, through which a person must navigate in order to lawfully possess a firearm.

There were relatively few laws passed regarding GUN CONTROL prior to the twentieth century, and in fact, most legislation has been passed in the last fifty years.

The National Firearms Act of 1934 was passed to hinder machine guns and sawedoff shotguns.
The Firearms Act of 1938 provided for federal licensing of firearms dealers, regulated firearms transportation across state lines by dealers, outlawed the transportation of stolen guns with the manufacturer's mark eradicated or changed, and outlawed firearms from being carried by fugitives, indicted defendants or convicted felons.
The National Firearms Act was later amended significantly by the Gun Control Act of 1968, putting more stringent control on licensed sales, buyer requirements, and the importation of sporting guns.
The Undetectable Firearms Act of 1988 banned plastic and other undetectable guns, prompted by the fear of hijacking.
The Crime Act of 1994 banned the sale and possession of 19 assault-type firearms and certain high-capacity ammunition magazines.
The Gun-Free School Zone Act of 1990 outlawed the knowing possession of firearms in school zones, and made it a crime to carry unloaded firearms within 1,000 feet of the grounds of any public or private school. The law was later held unconstitutional in 1995, in United States vs. Lopez.
The 1982 assassination attempt on President Ronald Reagan resulted in the Brady Handgun Violence Prevention Act of 1993. The Brady Bill imposed a five-day waiting period before a handgun could be taken home by a buyer. Though the law also mandated that local law enforcement officers conduct background checks on prospective handgun purchasers buying from federally licensed dealers, this part of the law was struck down by the Supreme Court in 1997 in Printz vs. United States as unconstitutional.
Depending on where one lives, a person may only be forbidden to carry a concealed weapon, or may be forbidden to own a handgun at all. People who disobey or are not aware of the laws pertaining to firearms in their local areas and in areas to which they travel may be subject to tough criminal prosecution. It is therefore best to be familiar with the local and national laws before owning a firearm.

Acquisition and Possession of Firearms
Eligibility to Purchase or Own a Firearm
In general, if you are twenty-one years of age or older, you can purchase a firearm from a federally licensed dealer licensed to sell in your state. For the purchase of a rifle or shotgun, you need to be eighteen years or older and may purchase in any state.

However, the following classes of people are ineligible to possess, receive, ship, or transport firearms or ammunition:

Those convicted of crimes punishable by IMPRISONMENT for over one year, except state misdemeanors punishable by two years or less
Fugitives from justice
Unlawful users of certain depressant, narcotic, or stimulant drugs
Those deemed legally as incompetent and those committed to mental institutions
Illegal aliens
Citizens who have renounced their citizenship
Those persons dishonorably discharged from the armed services
Persons less than eighteen years of age for the purchase of a shotgun or rifle
Persons less than twenty-one years of age for the purchase of a firearm that is other than a shotgun or rifle
Persons subject to a court order that restrains such persons from harassing, STALKING, or threatening an intimate partner
Persons convicted in any court of a MISDEMEANOR crime of domestic violence
Under limited conditions, exceptions may be granted by the U.S. Secretary of the Treasury, or through a PARDON, restoration of rights, or setting aside of a CONVICTION.

Acquiring Firearms
Once a person has made the decision to purchase a gun, a federally licensed dealer will fill out a federal form 4473, which requires identifying and other information about the buyer, and record the make, model, and serial number of the firearm. There is a five-day waiting period during which a background check is run for any information that may disqualify the buyer from owning a firearm. The buyer may purchase the firearm only after the application is approved.

It is unlawful for an individual to purchase a firearm through mail-order from another state. Only licensed dealers are allowed to purchase firearms across state lines from other licensed dealers.

Provided that all other laws are complied with, a person may temporarily borrow or rent a firearm for lawful sporting purposes throughout the United States.

Quoted from:

http://law.enotes.com/everyday-law-e...a/firearm-laws

and I would also insist on a copy of buyers CRIMINAL HISTORY REPORT ( costs $10.00) being faxed form buyers State Police office

Silver
slvrwulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2006, 09:25 PM   #5 (permalink)
Post Whore

Send a message via MSN to Gabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by slvrwulf
Gabe, a few questions for you (since you are selling an actual firearm over the internet)
Wow, I guess I overlooked that. I forgot to add in the original post that I am not an FFL and it would be a FFL to FFL shipping deal, just like all non-C&R guns. If anyone is really interested in buying it, then I'll look up all the details of a criminal history check. This gun is pretty much posted just to see what kind of interest there would be.

"What makes a VM so charming is that you can chop down small trees with it" - Jaan
Gabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2006, 01:52 AM   #6 (permalink)
Fleshy-Headed Mutant

FWIW the shipper does not need to hold a FFL, only the receiver does. As long as you have a copy of the FFL you are shipping to everything should be ok. The FFL holder is the one who runs background checks on the buyer before giving them the firearm.
PolarMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2006, 02:17 AM   #7 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Send a message via AIM to respiegel Send a message via Yahoo to respiegel

the NFA is very reasonable when it comes to person to person deals. you can sell longarms in state to out of state people and you don't have to do a background check, as long as they say they can own it and you don't have a good reason to think they shouldn't its normaly not a problem. so if somebody lived in another state but drove over the state line to meet you it would be a legal deal (well ignore the fact you're in alaska)
but thats my gun show dealings quick and dirty understanding of what you can and can't do. Rugers are nice guns... if i had the extra cash i might have to give my uncle in anchorage a call
respiegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2006, 08:39 AM   #8 (permalink)
I Am The Admin

Send a message via AIM to Painthappy

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
Yup... the individual only needs to ship to an FFL, you do not have to ship FFL to FFL unless that is the law in your area, but I've never heard of that one.

As long as you ship to an FFL you have no issue.

I actually have my C&R License, and have all the rule books, etc. I have shipped many guns across the country, and the only times I ran into the FFL to FFL is when the FFL you were shipping to, required it via their policy and not because it was the law.
Painthappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2006, 08:49 AM   #9 (permalink)
Custom Gunslinger

Thumbs up

As stated before some of these laws are specific to not only the state but the county. Here in FL from one county to the next we have a 3 day wait on all guns to the one right next to it being 3 day wait on handguns only. I have seen my transfers go both directions. Some FFL's I have used will only accept firearms coming from an FFL, others will accept it coming from the private person. There is not any problem with you selling the rifle to someone from this forum, just that you as the seller want to make sure that if you are shipping it to another state that you are sending it to an FFL. By doing that you are showing that you have excercised due diligence to follow the correct procedures. Plus that turns the responsiblity of the background check over to the receiving FFL. Think of it as a CYA type thing.

My Gallery
Feedback at MCB
Feedback at SCP
Cleric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2006, 12:08 PM   #10 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

The best bet for the buyer is to set up with an FFL locally to accept his firearms purchases. They usually charge a fee, unless you're good friends etc, but you are then ready at any time to buy.

My local pawnshop owner will do transfers for me for $10/lunch.

And now that it's been ruled that Faxed copies of licenses are good, it's much easier and timely.
Find the gun you want, contact your local FFL/Receiver, give him the info/payment, and he calls me back when it arrives usually within 3-5 days, or overnight if it's a pistol.
Flatline's Up! is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Buy, Sell, Trade » The Yard Sale