View Single Post
Old 11-15-2012, 07:13 PM   #98 (permalink)
DocsMachine
Mad Science of Paintball

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoatBoy View Post
So imagine at inception, AGD could say, “You can have a cool single-piece twist-lock barrel. Or, if you want to reuse your barrel from X gun, we have a twistlock adapter for that. It still operates like a twistlock, and you can remove it like a twistlock, but you can reuse a barrel from your old gun.” AGD made the rest of the gun modular, but stopped at this point for some reason.
-Again, you're applying modern concepts and thought processes to a situation over twenty years ago, when the sport itself was hardly eight or nine years old.

Back in 1989, nobody was swapping barrels. The very idea of even having a removable barrel was only a few years old. There was virtually no aftermarket barrel support- what few you could get were typically just different lengths of stock barrels.

Nobody cared about bore sizes, nobody cared about porting, nobody back-bored, nobody made a 2-piece.

Being able to use other manufacturers' barrels was not a selling point- with few exceptions, the only way to even get a barrel from another gun was to buy the whole damn gun. No one had barrel collections- and if they did, it was just two or three different lengths of the same factory barrel.

Quote:
Another way to look at it is: if there were only, say, 2 guns with removable barrels, and you only picked one, you just created compatibility with possibly half of the available barrels in one stroke. And you made an opportunity to make even more money by selling these adapters. Seems like a win-win. Oh, wait, I forgot, there’s no money to be made in paintball.
-Again, when the AutoMag was designed and released, no one was swapping barrels. With very limited exceptions, there were no barrels TO swap.

In 1989, there were only maybe five or six guns that even had removable barrels, and most of those were slip-fit (The NW series, the SL-68, the TM-11, the Bushmaster, etc.) and no one made aftermarket barrels for them.

I have a copy of a 1992/'93 I&I Sports catalog. They were one of the earliest comprehensive mail-order distributors for the sport- I think just about everyone has a copy of the famous 1991 catalog.

Anyway, going through it, here's a complete listing of every barrel shown: Three PGP slip-on extensions, three Sniper barrels (10-1/2", 12-1/2" and 14-1/2") one VM barrel, one Rapide barrel, and one "custom" 68 Special Barrel... made by Bud Orr.

The 'Mag "Crown Point" barrel is sold separately, there's a kit to convert your PGP to take .62 caliber paint, a factory 16" barrel for the 68 Special, and a couple of one-piece aluminum barrel/breech receivers for your Nel-Spot.

No bore sizes are even mentioned, let alone having a selection, none are ported, none are 2-piece, none are stainless or carbon fiber. At best, the "custom" ones say they're "micro honed".

And keep in mind this was over two years since the 'Mag had been released, and probably better than three since it was designed.

Again, why go to the expense of making your new marker take somebody else's barrels, when there essentially weren't any?

Doc.
The Definitive Guide to Paintball in the Movies!
DocsMachine is online now   Reply With Quote