mcarterbrown.com  

Old 01-24-2018, 02:02 PM   #1 (permalink)

LVL 10. Leak down barrel.

So I’m experiencing a slight, minor leak down the barrel with my level 10 kit installed. I understand that a leak down the barrel that stops when the trigger is pulled and held can be traced to the power tube oring. I am on the smallest carrier, no shims.

I’ve tried other carriers in the event that they were labeled wrong, but they leak worse. I tried many many configurations, shims, no shims, new o ring everything. It didn’t leak when I first installed it, but on my first trip to the field the o ring must have broke in as I was shooting and the minor leak started. The level 10 was working great. Chuffing like it should. Never broke a ball or locked the bolt, so I feel like I’m close.

It was happening on my initial setup with a classic valve. I have since moved to and eMag valve but the same minor leak persists.

The carrier I’m using has no lines or dots. The troubleshooting steps I’ve read indicate this means I should step down to a smaller powertube oring carrier, but there are no smaller ones.

When I wiggle the barrel or press on the valve the tone of the leak changes so I have a feeling it has to do with the carrier.

Anyone have any ideas?
ichiban_al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 02:09 PM   #2 (permalink)
Voted most ball-fondliest

If youre down to the smallest carrier and still leaks, then its time for a new powertube oring (I think thats the name, small white one in the back of the carrier.) Don't worry about the shims, they're for a different issue most mags won't have.

New oring in largest carrier it will fit without leaking. As the oring breaks in, it may leak again - then you move down to the next smaller carrier.

EDIT: Sorry, just saw you said you already tried that oring? Your symptoms still seem to point to that one (leak changes when you press on the valve)... Did you try the oring on the powertube tip too?
My feedback: MCB / eBay

Last edited by freedummy; 01-24-2018 at 02:18 PM.
freedummy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 02:13 PM   #3 (permalink)

Right I figured so, however this was a brand new powertube o ring, right out of the box of a new lvl 10 kit. So I followed the tuning instructions that said not to change the power tube oring, only the carrier size and shims

Last edited by ichiban_al; 01-24-2018 at 02:22 PM.
Old 01-24-2018, 02:28 PM   #4 (permalink)
Voted most ball-fondliest

Might just be a bad oring, new or not... Stranger things have happened. Do you have another one to try?
My feedback: MCB / eBay
freedummy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 02:30 PM   #5 (permalink)
trophy husband

Quote:
Originally Posted by ichiban_al View Post
Right I figured so, however this was a brand new powertube o ring, right out of the box of a new lvl 10 kit. So I followed the tuning instructions that said not to change the power tube oring, only the carrier size and shims
I've had this happen with brand new o-rings before. It happens. Either the o-ring was made a little bit too small, or it's damaged slightly. The tolerances on these parts are so freakin' small, I'm honestly surprised it doesn't happen more often.

I would try another new carrier o-ring. Chance are that will fix the problem.
rawbutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 02:39 PM   #6 (permalink)

Once I get more air I値l try swapping in a new carrier oring. I知 pretty sure I have 2 more fresh ones that came with it. I値l report back here with the results.

I知 not very hopeful since I kinda feel like I tried that already in the mix of tuning the kit, but I don稚 remember exactly.

We値l see soon, thanks for the respnses so far, hopefully we can figure it out
Old 01-24-2018, 02:55 PM   #7 (permalink)
mag shooter

AGD made smaller carriers because the oring sizes have shrunk.

My shop page: Bearded Works

feedback(https://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html)
superman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 04:26 PM   #8 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by superman View Post
AGD made smaller carriers because the oring sizes have shrunk.
what he said.
vintage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 04:27 PM   #9 (permalink)
MCB Member

if it still leaks with a new o ring call AGD and talk to Tim. they discovered that the current batch of o rings is smaller than standard and they made up 2 new carriers to take care of this problem.
vintage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 08:54 PM   #10 (permalink)

Okay, a little embarrassed to say but I think I resolved the issue.

I swapped in a new powertube oring and noticed it still leaking. So I removed everything and started from the ground up...

Then I realized instead of putting in the hard plastic washer behind the powertube carrier I had in the original level 7 soft oring that goes all the way in the back behind the spacer :0

I took that out, swapped it with a hard plastic washer, put it all back together, and now Im running leak free....for now...

Thanks everyone. Sorry it ended up being a stupid fix.

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » Air Gun Designs