mcarterbrown.com  

Ask The Experts You ask the tough questions

Closed Thread

Old 01-07-2010, 10:43 AM   #21 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to wowomatic

To the original poster, I'd suggest playing a few games with the 6" and see if you're satisfied with it's performance. If not, look into getting that Lapco barrel. It's your gun after all, set it up the way you like it not how other people want it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayvik View Post
Look at it this way, at least you had pants on when your mom walked in.

Right?

Old 01-07-2010, 11:12 AM   #22 (permalink)
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by wowomatic View Post
To the original poster, I'd suggest playing a few games with the 6" and see if you're satisfied with it's performance. If not, look into getting that Lapco barrel. It's your gun after all, set it up the way you like it not how other people want it.
yeah, while the data shows that you should have no accuracy problems - I know that for some people the longer barrels make for easier "pointing".

try it and see what you like.
Old 01-07-2010, 12:11 PM   #23 (permalink)
Old gear!

I've seen porting significantly improve accuracy, actually- it gets rid of those 'outlier' shots in my experiences. And, while on a PROPERLY tuned gun, you only need an 8" unported barrel (give or take a few inches based on the gun), if you tune things wrong, the porting and extra length will help release the excess gas in a more consistent manner. The 'safest' bet, for a really bad gun, is a two-step, heavily ported barrel in a tight bore- the gas will accelerate it down the original length the same way each time, then all the extra is vented quickly, be it a ton of extra, or just a little bit.
Old 01-07-2010, 01:18 PM   #24 (permalink)
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyweightnate View Post
I've seen porting significantly improve accuracy, actually- it gets rid of those 'outlier' shots in my experiences. And, while on a PROPERLY tuned gun, you only need an 8" unported barrel (give or take a few inches based on the gun), if you tune things wrong, the porting and extra length will help release the excess gas in a more consistent manner. The 'safest' bet, for a really bad gun, is a two-step, heavily ported barrel in a tight bore- the gas will accelerate it down the original length the same way each time, then all the extra is vented quickly, be it a ton of extra, or just a little bit.
I agree with everything you're saying here - except the first sentence. We've seen ZERO change in accuracy based on porting.

8" is about right for the minimum optimal barrel length - somewhere between 8 and 14 inches will be the optimal answer for pretty much any gun.

step bores do have some very minor improvement in consistency. stepping up to a ported front section seems to do what you're saying - evening out things a bit.
Old 01-07-2010, 01:46 PM   #25 (permalink)
Not Popular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbinger[TG] View Post
So if I shoot a .680 ball out of a 1 inch long 3 inch wide barrel it will be efficient and accurate?
if you can get it up to 300 fps it will be accurate.

it wont be efficient.
Old 01-07-2010, 01:50 PM   #26 (permalink)
Moderating From Above

Send a message via MSN to Harbinger[TG]

Fan of EMR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cockerpunk View Post
if you can get it up to 300 fps it will be accurate.

it wont be efficient.

Highly doubtful. It would be like launching a rocket without fins or a bottle rocket without a stick. While the fins and the stick keep the rocket moving properly, so does a proper barrel.

Try taking a model rocket and launch it through a tube. Then try it w/o a body or fins, and then try it in a tube twice the size. It won't be accurate at all and you will be lucky if it goes in only one direction.
Old 01-07-2010, 01:55 PM   #27 (permalink)
THE Green Modster

Send a message via MSN to Greenmtnphantom

CCM Fan
CCI Phantom Fan
I don't have any science to back this up but, My main barrel for my Viking is just about 2 inches if you don't include the loudener.

I don't notice any substantial difference in accuracy (not saying it's not there only that it's small enough to not matter)

I do notice a substantial change in efficency (for the worse)
Stock class = https://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/...ml#post2063667

Master Jar Jar
Old 01-07-2010, 01:55 PM   #28 (permalink)
Not Popular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbinger[TG] View Post
Highly doubtful. It would be like launching a rocket without fins or a bottle rocket without a stick. While the fins and the stick keep the rocket moving properly, so does a proper barrel.

Try taking a model rocket and launch it through a tube. Then try it w/o a body or fins, and then try it in a tube twice the size. It won't be accurate at all and you will be lucky if it goes in only one direction.
now your comparing an oblong projectile to a round one and trying to conclude something about accuracy.

the reason that it will be accurate is because of the shape of the ball. so comparing it to something else that is shaped differently makes no sense at all.

its a round ball, so the thing that effects its accuracy is vortex shedding. this is a byproduct of nothing other then the paintballs velocity, which is a given. means that any given paintball's finial impact point, regardless of launch system, is governed by the air it flows through. so no matter what you launch the thing with, be it slingshot, gunpowder, a strippers *****, or whatever, if it gets up to 300 fps it will fly straight.

comparing it to bottle rockets makes no sense.
Old 01-07-2010, 03:46 PM   #29 (permalink)
Post Whore

I had a 3" barrel on my A5 and it was loud and hella fun. So gentlemen to all your science mumbo jumbo I say check and mate.
Old 01-07-2010, 05:10 PM   #30 (permalink)
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agglet View Post
I had a 3" barrel on my A5 and it was loud and hella fun. So gentlemen to all your science mumbo jumbo I say check and mate.
the science says that a 3" barrel is fine. inefficient, but just as accurate as any other barrel.
Closed Thread

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » Ask The Experts