mcarterbrown.com  

Ask The Experts You ask the tough questions

Old 07-16-2014, 07:45 PM   #21 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

I still don't know where you actually are, so this is going to be a big list and I have no idea which might be close to you.

Wasaga Beach Paintball
Barrie Paintball
NEXT Paintball
Eastie Boyz
Paintball City
Paintball Nation (Burlington, Mississauga)
Soldiers of Fortune
Cameron's Speedway
Crazy Bill's
Flagswipe
Flag Raiders
Vaughan Paintball
Sgt. Splatter's
Defcon
Ultimate Paintball
Camp X

Those are just the ones I can think of, there are probably more in the area. The furthest out of those are just about an hour and a half away from Toronto itself. I live in Toronto now but my family is in Hamilton and I used to live there, and before that in Oakville, so obviously all the fields I know of are centered around this area.

EDIT: Anyway, to answer your original question about the Luxe - I would say it's not worth it. I'm currently on a (fairly well) paid internship and have been for over a year, but I'll be going back to school in September. I've played nearly every weekend this year since March. I play mostly speedball, and I buy at least a case every time I go for speedball. Even with the amount that I play, I don't think dropping a grand on a single gun is worth it. Not when there are alternatives available for literally half the price or less that are just as good. When it's just high school student summer job money coming in, I would think you're much better off spending less money on the marker and more money on the playing. Go buy a used DM or Ego for $400 and spend the other $600 on playing, or put it into savings, or whatever.

Grey Ghost #308, SC Brassterling, Super Stocker, Predator SM-1, Hammer7
Classic/Pump Mag, VM-68
05 Cyborg, 06 Cyborg, PM8 LE Canary, Hybrid NXT, E-Tac

(MCB) Feedback

Last edited by Z3R0; 07-16-2014 at 08:04 PM.
Z3R0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 07:50 PM   #22 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Generally what I find with Canadian fields is if you are not a member you are getting nailed with $10 per 100 or $160 a case.
If you are a member it's often $80 a case.
Then if you want to play indoor in Toronto and you have to rent gear it's $15 per 100, and only $10 for equipment owners. That one always confused me they pay for the rental then they screwed on the paint pricing as well.
There are some fields that are less and others offer BYOP but as a rule this seems to be what we pay. It always seemed odd to me that we always payed way more than our American brethren when we had 3 paint manufacturers in Canada.

As for the marker, you mentioned that you tried a few different markers and you like the Luxe. It seem pretty clear to me that the Luxe is the way to go, just so long as you know what the maintenance is involved with said marker and you are confident in how to care for it.
Ratzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 07:51 PM   #23 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

If you like how Luxes shoot you can get 98% of that feel for 20% of the price by buying a used Shocker.

Classic/Pump Mag, VM-68

(MCB) Feedback
Old 07-16-2014, 09:05 PM   #24 (permalink)
Bad@ss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratzo View Post
Generally what I find with Canadian fields is if you are not a member you are getting nailed with $10 per 100 or $160 a case.
If you are a member it's often $80 a case.
Then if you want to play indoor in Toronto and you have to rent gear it's $15 per 100, and only $10 for equipment owners. That one always confused me they pay for the rental then they screwed on the paint pricing as well.
There are some fields that are less and others offer BYOP but as a rule this seems to be what we pay. It always seemed odd to me that we always payed way more than our American brethren when we had 3 paint manufacturers in Canada.
Yeah, out of the list Z3RO gave me I can only consistently go to about 5 locations realistically and I think the lowest price at any of those fields is $120 a case without tax, and at that rate it makes no sense for me to travel about 2 hours.

On a side note, thanks for the help guys. I think I'm going to go with a used DM12. Or I'll put a bit of money towards a good pump marker, since I do enjoy pump play

But who knows, maybe I will pick up a luxe
Old 07-16-2014, 11:25 PM   #25 (permalink)

As others have said, if someone at the field has one, explain you are thinking of purchasing one and ask if you can try it out in the chrony booth with his supervision. Most paintball players I've met are almost as friendly as the guys I see at the gun range and just as willing to let people try stuff out.

On a side note, how the hell is paint $180 in Canada, most of the paint is MADE up there?!?! Considering at ~$40-50/case, I can drop 1-1.5 cases in a walk-on day and upwards of 2-2.5 for a scenario, I could only afford to play like twice a year if it was $180/case.

Immortals Paintball
Honor... Above all else.
Azoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 12:25 AM   #26 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Most of the rec/woods places I know of are more around $120-140 for a case but speedball-centric fields are usually around $70 for entry/air/case and $50ish for an additional case. Or ~$35 for a BYOP pass if they have them, and then you can just go buy a case of decent paint from Badlands for $40 or so. The only places I know that charge anywhere close to $180 per case are the ones that are very clearly heavily geared towards rentals and party groups.

Classic/Pump Mag, VM-68

(MCB) Feedback

Last edited by Z3R0; 07-17-2014 at 12:29 AM.
Old 07-17-2014, 12:55 AM   #27 (permalink)
RLTW

Brass and Wood Fan
PPS Fan
Check out some of the Bob Long guns. Buying a used g6r, victory, or even an insight (if you must have a spool) will save you a wheelbarrow of cash compared to the luxe
Old 07-18-2014, 12:06 AM   #28 (permalink)
Post Whore

Send a message via AIM to Cunha Send a message via MSN to Cunha Send a message via Yahoo to Cunha

Show up first thing in the morning

and play stock class.

Sounds like highway robbery.

PSA: To post direct images when using imgur or other hosting site, copy the "direct link" url in between these image tags [img]yoururlhere[/img]
Cunha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 12:23 AM   #29 (permalink)
Bad@ss

Yeah I'm probably gonna pick up a CCM and play stock class like a lot of you guys said. Realistically, I need to be saving up for a car and I can't afford to spend that much money every weekend.

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » Ask The Experts