mcarterbrown.com  

Ask The Experts You ask the tough questions

Old 10-02-2017, 06:20 PM   #1 (permalink)
MCB Member

Copper air lines

I think we can all agree macro line sucks. The best solution is stainless tubing I know. However copper is available, cheap and easy to bend. It should easily hold 850psi. I believe The burst pressure is in The thousands. The petina would actually look cool after a couple years. Anyone try this? Or am I not seeing a potential problem with it.
Carlito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 06:41 PM   #2 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Location: Plano, TX by way of Pasadena, CA by way of Memphis, TN
Send a message via AIM to zenmic Send a message via MSN to zenmic Send a message via Yahoo to zenmic

I would love to know more of your experience with this, and the fittings. I have ALWAYS hated macro lines. I go with hardlines unless I just cannot.
zenmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 06:50 PM   #3 (permalink)
MCB Member

This would look really sweet on a phantom build I have in mind. I'll ask a buddy who is a plumber if he can shed and light.
somethingbenign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 07:01 PM   #4 (permalink)
Does anyone read this?

Copper-nickel brake line would be the best solution... rated to nearly 3000 psi.
And God turned to Gabriel and said: “I shall create a land called Canada of outstanding natural beauty, with majestic mountains soaring with eagles, sparkling lakes abundant with bass and trout, forests full of elk and moose, and rivers stocked with salmon. I shall make the land rich in oil so the inhabitants prosper and call them Canadians, and they shall be praised as the friendliest of all people.”

“But Lord,” asked Gabriel, “Is this not too generous to these Canadians?”

And God replied, “Just wait and see the neighbors I shall inflict upon them.”

My Feedback
Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 08:19 PM   #5 (permalink)
MCB Member

Send a message via AIM to Fubarius Send a message via Yahoo to Fubarius

Brass and Wood Fan
PPS Fan
Actually, copper tubing pressure rating can be way lower than you'd expect. It's all about the tubing wall thickness. Thick walled refrigerant line is way different than your hobby shop decorative thin walled tube. Don't buy anything unless you KNOW the pressure rating.

Nunquam emere quid potes facere
Fubarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 08:49 PM   #6 (permalink)
MCB Member

I make stainless steel 1/4" od tubing bent to custom shapes for air hardlines. it is rated to at least 4800 psi. If brass or copper were rated to a high enough burst pressure, I would use it, but it is not.
"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway, "On the Blue Water," Esquire, April 1936

In the world I see - you are stalking elk through the damp canyon forests around the ruins of Rockefeller Center. You'll wear leather clothes that will last you the rest of your life. You'll climb the wrist-thick kudzu vines that wrap the Sears Tower. And when you look down, you'll see tiny figures pounding corn, laying strips of venison on the empty car pool lane of some abandoned superhighway.

Visit my Etsy store:
https://www.etsy.com/shop/crowsnestwampum
Legolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 09:19 PM   #7 (permalink)
Baller

The TACAMO MKP (edit: it's the MKV flexi-air kit that I'm referring to) kits with the air-in-stock mod from RAP4 used a copper tube that ran through the clamshell to get the air from the hpa bottle to the powertube. I ran mine at 800psi. I'm not sure on the thickness, but it was pliable enough that if you weren't careful you could bend the edge and lose your seal.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Last edited by TomsGunShow; 10-02-2017 at 10:49 PM.
TomsGunShow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 09:20 PM   #8 (permalink)
MCB Member

I'd still trust non-ferous metal tubing over plastic. Again I haven't researched this. That's why I'm inquiring.
Old 10-02-2017, 10:06 PM   #9 (permalink)
Does anyone read this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlito View Post
I'd still trust non-ferous metal tubing over plastic. Again I haven't researched this. That's why I'm inquiring.
I would definitely avoid copper.

Pressures generated in braking systems can reach up to 2000psi or more during panic stops - cupro (copper-nickel alloy trade name) brake line is rated to withstand those pressures and higher, and is extruded, so there's no seam, which makes it a great candidate to be used in a paintball application if someone's looking for hardline to replace macro.

I've personally used 3/16 brake line to plumb an Automag with no problems, but not tried 1/4" line in macro fittings. You may have issues with sealing, as the orings seem to be fairly fragile - Legolas seems to have success with his system, so obviously it can be done.

Cupro is fairly easy to shape because of it's copper content, easier than SS, so you won't need a pipe bender unless you want crisp bends.
And God turned to Gabriel and said: “I shall create a land called Canada of outstanding natural beauty, with majestic mountains soaring with eagles, sparkling lakes abundant with bass and trout, forests full of elk and moose, and rivers stocked with salmon. I shall make the land rich in oil so the inhabitants prosper and call them Canadians, and they shall be praised as the friendliest of all people.”

“But Lord,” asked Gabriel, “Is this not too generous to these Canadians?”

And God replied, “Just wait and see the neighbors I shall inflict upon them.”

My Feedback
Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 10:55 PM   #10 (permalink)
MCB Member

I've got a pipe bender, that's not the issue. Just looking to keep costs to a minimum. I want to hard pipe 6-8 markers in the near future.

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » Ask The Experts