mcarterbrown.com  

Ask The Experts You ask the tough questions

Old 08-01-2018, 10:59 AM   #31 (permalink)
Yuengling Drinker

Send a message via AIM to esparzar Send a message via MSN to esparzar Send a message via Yahoo to esparzar

Quote:
Originally Posted by estin View Post
I really think the detent mods and freak bored barrels are over hyped a bit. I've used them all over the years and still prefer the standard CCI barrel + CCI detent rings. Only exception being the Lapco .681 barrel run that hellion did.

I highly recommend playing without a stock. Small, light, and maneuverable and once you get used to it aiming becomes muscle memory. I can't really play anymore with a "normal" tank gun hopper setup, the size and weight drives me insane.

You can still get small light and maneuverable with a stock. Just gotta set up it up right

Voila:

Doesn't get much better than that.
Old 08-02-2018, 10:33 PM   #32 (permalink)
MCB Member

Stock/no stock itís a lot of personal preference. Thereís advantages to both. The only thing you can do wrong with a Phantom (within reason, ie no mayo...) is not play with it. As long as you are safe and having fun it doesnít matter. For years I ran around with my barrel pointing up or no ball loaded just to prevent rollouts, it could be frustrating but added challenge and I still had fun. If Iíd known about the nail polish detent I definitely would have done it. Iíd encourage you to try new things and donít be afraid to change up your Phantomís configuration. After you own one, most changes are fairly cheap and reversible.

We can seek out what others prefer but donít stress it. To me when I pick up a Phantom itís a reminder that Iím only here to have fun. It lets me drop the competitive mindset and just relax. I can let go of all expectations and just play.
1shot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 03:58 PM   #33 (permalink)
Yuengling Drinker

Send a message via AIM to esparzar Send a message via MSN to esparzar Send a message via Yahoo to esparzar

1) phantoms have a crisper pump stroke than a cocker

I would agree that it is crisper or in other words more linear than a sniper pump stroke that seems to have a stepped up stroke at the end. But in no way is a stock phantom pump stroke smoother or softer than a stock sniper pump stroke. This of course can change with modifications on both platforms but generally speaking a phantom will have a stiffer modified or not. Stock phantoms have less of a pump handle twist than a single rod, or rather stock, pump handle. This is due in part because of the short cocking rod on the Phantom when compared to the much longer pump arm on a sniper both of which are the same diameter. Having less of a twist propably helps in the crisper feel but that comparison ends when comparing a stock or over barrel phantom and a stock or single rod sniper.

2) if you're used to a cocker, you probably want an undercooking kit because the pump handle around the barrel is different.

This is true mostly because of muscle memory. Your body is used to a pump handle being lower than an over the barrel pump handle and because of the physical dimensions will feel weird until you get used to it. That is until you get a uc pump kit which will be slightly different and feel less weird. If you already of a ccm pump kit on your sniper and are thinking of getting a phantom or already have one you'll want to get a rainman uc kit which will make you feel like home less the stiffer pump stroke.

3) you adjust the velocity by putting what is essentially a huge Allen wrench down the barrel.

Correct, but on the end of the "huge Allen wrench" is a plastic hex slot adapter used to engage the tpc to adjust your(velocity) spring pressure. You can also change your (velocity) spring pressure but removing the barrel and using a thick flat head screw driver that is unless you have a flat head screw driver that is long than your barrel.

4) they "point" different than a cocker

They will but this is also true amongst snipers depending on their geometry. I know on my two phantoms, Lady Grey and Amee, they point different simply because of the angle and length of the stock and 13ci w/butt plate despite being virtually identical in function.

That being said, here are my questions:

1) how different is the shot than a cocker?

Need clarification. Do you mean loudness? Felt recoil? Accuracy?

Will I have to spend 5 days at the field before I can hit anything?

That would greatly depend on how similar or dissimilar each marker is set up. If the geometry is the same or close to being the same on both markers you shouldn't have much of adjustment period shooting wise.

If you are running a sniper with a multirod pump kit and a bottomline using your tank as your 3rd point of contact then switch over to a vsc (vertical stock class)phantom with a over the barrel pump handle and t stock you will probably need a longer time to adjust.

2) how essential is a freak bored barrel?

As essential as it is on a sniper or any marker for that matter. Up to personal preference but a good paint to bore match is needed to get the most out of your marker. In closed bolts like snipers and phantoms it is needed to prevent rollouts but that this is more or less a byproduct of a good paint to bore match.

3) what's the difference in a phantom and a phantom revolution?

Everything except who makes them. Functionally, the firing cycle is independent of the pump action in a revolution whereas the pump action in a phantom is vital to make it possible to fire. Non of the parts are interchangeable aside from the vertical feed adapters, horizontal feeds, barrels, and vasa or regulator.

Additionally the Revolution as we know it is a reincarnation of a semi auto prototype of the same name. The name revolution came about because of the rotating bolt in the prototype that was developed years ago way before the inception of the SP Ion.

4) for those of you who have shot both cockers and phantoms, what would be the best advice you'd give yourself about the transition?

Aside from practice, get your phantom and sniper setups as dimensionally similar as possible.

5) how different is a cocker with a tank compared to a phantom with a stock? Does the gun sit differently?

This is a question is open to interpretation due to the wide variety of customization options available for both markers. Essentially your question is about geometry which you can setup both markers to be the same or pretty darn close and the only real difference would be weight.
Old 08-03-2018, 07:41 PM   #34 (permalink)
It's alive!

I think they are just perfect if you want to run 12grams. Light, efficient, and with a good paint and bore match accurate out of the box. No tinkering, no messing. A used vsc for 225$ and you're on the same field as any other stock class gun.
Old 08-03-2018, 11:44 PM   #35 (permalink)
MCB Member

Again, thank you guys very much for all of the insight and recommendations. I am going to pick up a VSC with an undercocking kit and a stock from a good friend. I'm really excited about this adventure.

WTB: Gen 2 and Gen 3 SFL Autocockers
brando247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 01:06 AM   #36 (permalink)
Veteran

CCM Fan
let the Phantom addiction begin...I've owned around 10 phantoms in my 18 years of balling....and keep going back to them...you can maneuver quicker and become a smaller profile (no pod backs or bulky equipment)...let alone saving on paint.
https://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
Jello78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 09:01 AM   #37 (permalink)
The Fleeing Pickle

Kilt Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by brando247 View Post
Again, thank you guys very much for all of the insight and recommendations. I am going to pick up a VSC with an undercocking kit and a stock from a good friend. I'm really excited about this adventure.
You should try out the over-the-barrel pump first unless it's a dual-rod. I've heard mixed reviews on the single rod kits.
JonnyDread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 11:22 AM   #38 (permalink)
MCB Member

One of these days I need to check out the phantom factory, it's only about an hour from me

Also, not sure if anyone mentioned this, I didn't see it anyway but at least the few phantom revs I have seen that are external velocity adjustable

^^^ If you are new to the sport and need help finding gear, click here!!!^^^

feedback: https://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
Trbo323 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 07:50 PM   #39 (permalink)
<Custom User Title>

Location: The land of overpriced cigarettes and expensive Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyDread View Post
You should try out the over-the-barrel pump first unless it's a dual-rod. I've heard mixed reviews on the single rod kits.
its the new style CCI dual rod with a brass pump shim because why not.

its damn sturdy.

Why I am a Champion (Feedback)

Paintball Guns > Tuition
Allerstern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 08:55 PM   #40 (permalink)
The Fleeing Pickle

Kilt Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allerstern View Post
its the new style CCI dual rod with a brass pump shim because why not.

its damn sturdy.
Then you're good, those things are mad nice
JonnyDread is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » Ask The Experts