mcarterbrown.com  

Ask The Experts You ask the tough questions

Old 07-16-2018, 12:54 AM   #1 (permalink)
Intravenous Maple Syrup

My opinion on barrel kits, not that anyone should care.

I'm getting lazy and love driving people to this site, so I'm going to paste a response made to a question I keep running into on the book of faces.

Ignore, disagree, send me a PM with threats, I don't really care. This is 100% option by someone not pretending to be an expert. I just didn't know where else to put this.

- BB

Aight, so I'ma lay into this a bit.

Does paint to bore match matter? Yes, but you're chasing decimal points of performance. Factually 0.001 to 0.005 increments.

If you want good accuracy/consistency, get good paint! That is the #1 thing. Good paint!

Barrels and barrel kits are an attempt to be more adaptable when you can't necessarily control your paint.

Nothing solves $hit paint (inconsistent bore size, shell integrity, etc). Just over bore and pray in this scenario.

Even good paint is a food product and humidity, temperature, everything affects it. Even a single case can change size on a given hot day.

Most common options, from cheap to expensive (roughly):
Tape, nail polish, CCI detent rings (not sure if they work on guns that aren't phantoms, but they're about $10), iFit 2" kits (huge range in bore sizes), freak 5" kits (middle of the road on quality and price), freak 8" XL kits (and similar), custom bore barrels (Lapco Bigshot and Parabolic Phi are hugely popular).

Now should you get them?

It sounds like you're experiencing inconsistency, so there is a reason for you. Some people don't notice/ don't care. But you don't sound like one of those people.

Budget dictates quality and range in bore sizes, so Google some of the things I've listed before you go freak, but the 5" freak sets are widely accepted as a standard. You can get Carbon fiber Deadlywind barrels to whatever aluminium barrels that will accept freak inserts.

They are the android phones of barrel kits. Almost everyone's got one.

If money was no object, I'd definitely suggest the Parabolic barrels (Phi- one piece and Thin Air- two piece), because they are based on current scientific understanding of barrel physics. But I notice you're concerned about bang for buck, which isn't a bad thing.

A handful of the smaller bore freak kits is a pretty good and safe starting point. But there are cheaper options (iFit particularly).

What kind of a difference can a barrel kit make?

Here's one example. Mike at CCI Phantom is able to change a +/-1 feet per second (fps) variance with a correct bore to barrel match to as much of a +/-20 fps variance with an incorrect bore match. That's 20 feet variance for every second your ball is in the air. I've played in this scenario, it sucks. But presumably the opposite is true. If you were experiencing a +/- of 20 with your stock barrel, then there is a chance a kit could get you to +/-1. That's only 1 foot variance for every second of air time. Most people call that shooting ropes.

Just realize, whichever you decide, adding a kit means you'll likely be adding some time at the chronograph to confirm a good bore match, just try not to spend all day there.
Bang*Bang** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 01:12 AM   #2 (permalink)
MCB Member

I started with freaks, and a simple detent has gotten me to leave the freaks.
But.... can paint to bore match increase efficiency? My automag pistol gets about 15 shots off a 12 gram. I have been thinking about using freaks to squeeze out a few more shots.
Old 07-16-2018, 01:30 AM   #3 (permalink)
Banned

I like UL backs
Fleeting Expertise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 01:32 AM   #4 (permalink)
Voted most ball-fondliest

Yes underboring with a barrel kit increases efficiency. It's the easiest quality to document. For example, if I chrono my automag to 280 w/ my 0.693, it'll be shooting 310+ with the 0.688. Back the pressure down to 280 again, that's air saved every shot.
My feedback: MCB / eBay

Last edited by freedummy; 07-16-2018 at 01:36 AM.
freedummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 03:20 AM   #5 (permalink)
Mrs. Harbinger the void

Closed bolt vs open bolt is quite a different ball game too. I use my freak backs for different purposes. The ball needs to be right in front of the bolt for consistency. A sharp pump and it could roll a bit, or a lot. I do like the detent on my ghost. Being able to over bore on lousy paint days is a nice card to hold. But an efficient bore gets me over 40 shots.
spece108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 09:31 AM   #6 (permalink)
Thunder bum bum

CCM Fan
Kilt Club
Can someone give a ELI5 explanation of why those parabolic barrels are good?
JonnyDread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 09:43 AM   #7 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyDread View Post
Can someone give a ELI5 explanation of why those parabolic barrels are good?
It's like a great aunt hug. First you are squeezed near death, then a brief reprieve allowing equal airflow, then a final death squeeze to make you remember.

Magfed Hurricane with T15 Mags
seajay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 09:45 AM   #8 (permalink)
Thunder bum bum

CCM Fan
Kilt Club
So it goes control bore - open bore - control?
JonnyDread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 11:11 AM   #9 (permalink)
Does anyone read this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by seajay View Post
It's like a great aunt hug. First you are squeezed near death, then a brief reprieve allowing equal airflow, then a final death squeeze to make you remember.
So what PPS has been doing for years?
And God turned to Gabriel and said: “I shall create a land called Canada of outstanding natural beauty, with majestic mountains soaring with eagles, sparkling lakes abundant with bass and trout, forests full of elk and moose, and rivers stocked with salmon. I shall make the land rich in oil so the inhabitants prosper and call them Canadians, and they shall be praised as the friendliest of all people.”

“But Lord,” asked Gabriel, “Is this not too generous to these Canadians?”

And God replied, “Just wait and see the neighbors I shall inflict upon them.”

My Feedback

My Collection
Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 11:39 AM   #10 (permalink)
Mrs. Harbinger the void

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan View Post
So what PPS has been doing for years?
No, more like copying Inception. The stepped bore is tighter than traditional. Like a 685 back with a 690 front. Thin Air sells like a 690 and a 695 front. The parabolic term seems to be just a marketing label, not really a describing feature like Palmers.
spece108 is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » Ask The Experts