mcarterbrown.com  

Ask The Experts You ask the tough questions

Old 01-19-2020, 02:17 AM   #1 (permalink)
MCB Member

AM Illusion

Anyone else have one? Very smooth pump stroke.
Carlito is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 02:26 AM   #2 (permalink)
MCB Member

But apparently the safety needs some work
Old 01-19-2020, 04:44 AM   #3 (permalink)
MCB Member

Send a message via MSN to Gabe

I have one. Excellent gun, not sure what you mean about the safety. It's just a push button which works just fine if and when it's ever needed. Pump stroke is pretty good for a gun that's sprung for high pressure but I don't like that it cocks at the very end of the stroke. It's somewhat easy to short stroke and not cock the gun but load a ball.

The Illusion is even smaller than a mini body autococker so it's extremely small. The pump handle is the best ever IMO being kind of rounded at the front with large and deep finger grooves. Trigger is great. No autotrigger function but TBH it's not missed. Velocity adjustment is absolutely the best, just like a nelson. Literally even the same size allen wrench down the front of the pump to adjust.

They're very cool guns but there are not many around. Ask up if you have any questions.
Gabe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 12:49 PM   #4 (permalink)
MCB Member

Yeah that's called drunken posting. Apparently the illusion was the best marker ever last night. Should have put that in the members section not experts.
Old 01-19-2020, 02:34 PM   #5 (permalink)
MCB Member

NGL, it's still an amazing gun when sober.
Old 01-19-2020, 05:13 PM   #6 (permalink)
Not Legit

The cocking near the end of the stroke should be an easy fix. These are basically snipers with the frame and vasa pushed further back, right? So just shorten the cocking rod, the same way you would with any other sniper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad Thompson View Post
Who is this Chad Thompson you all are talking about?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Wood View Post
ooh look at that over there!!! Jeremy Salm riding a giant rainbow-coloured unicorn!!
Virtus Et Peritia
magmoormaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 07:45 PM   #7 (permalink)
Mrs. Harbinger the void

Gabe's a huge fan of his and he shoots it well. Runs good without an extra reg (between the valve and bottle reg). The pump stroke may feel a little sloppy if you compare it to today's quad rod setups. But it doesn't bind and is quick to cycle. Cool guns.
Old 01-19-2020, 11:35 PM   #8 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by magmoormaster View Post
The cocking near the end of the stroke should be an easy fix. These are basically snipers with the frame and vasa pushed further back, right? So just shorten the cocking rod, the same way you would with any other sniper.
Unfortunately it's not quite that simple. Since they are actually Spyder based and use very long spyder type springs the spring bottoms out and there is no overtravel like on a sniper where you can set the cocking point and then there's another 1/8" after that for overtravel. Basically the sear is physically set all the way at the end of the hammer's travel so there's nothing left after it cocks.

Spece, thanks for the props. I try my best but nobody shoots their gun as well as you and that Bob Long MVP. Cross field heashots for days. Now that's one crazy nice pump.

I've actually started running my Illusion with a WGP black magic regulator with good success. The efficiency dropped off considerably but the consistency really helps the accuracy. I'll be doing some tuning with it this summer to see if I can "sweetspot" the reg and get better efficiency. Being that the velocity adjuster tensions the valve spring instead of the main spring sweetspotting will be a very interesting experiment.
Old 01-20-2020, 12:07 AM   #9 (permalink)
Not Legit

Aaah, interesting!! That's something that always bugs me about snipers, the pre- and post-travel in the pump stroke. It's the primary reason why I prefer Sterlings (or more accurately, my Avratech Falcon, but hey it's Sterling based) over snipers. If Illusions are closer to spyders in that the hammer travels the full distance of the stroke, I'd be a huge fan.

As an aside, I always thought the Empire/Inception extended reach should have been done more like the Illusion than the Karnivor. If they instead pulled the trigger frame back like the illusion, it would have balanced much better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad Thompson View Post
Who is this Chad Thompson you all are talking about?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Wood View Post
ooh look at that over there!!! Jeremy Salm riding a giant rainbow-coloured unicorn!!
Virtus Et Peritia
magmoormaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 02:41 AM   #10 (permalink)
MCB Member

That is correct, the hammer does pretty much go the full length of the stroke. It's pretty close in hammer travel distance to a Sheridan KP. Being sprung for high pressure though the spring is fairly stiff and isn't nearly as smooth as a good sniper. I'd say it's midway between a CCM and a Phantom pump stroke. Short and snappy like a phantom pump but not as heavy. Heavier and more definite than a CCM pump. Like I said, it's a bit annoying though that you have to be very deliberate otherwise you will load a ball without the hammer catching if you don't bring the pump all the way to the rear.

As far as the extended reach, it's not exactly that. The rear of the body is shorter than a sniper so it's very very short as a gun but the vertical ASA is also super close to the trigger. It's like a mini body autococker taken to the next level. Balances great with a mini hopper and 13ci tank.

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » Ask The Experts