mcarterbrown.com  

Ask The Experts You ask the tough questions

Old 04-23-2009, 04:51 AM   #1 (permalink)

RTP Fan
Pros and Cons of the Powerfeed

Hi,
I'm not sure if this has been discussed extensively here, I tried to search, but couldn't come up with much. Anyways, I was wondering what are some of the pros and cons of a powerfeed? I've heard that it obscures the sight picture a little, does anyone have a picture sighting down the back, preferably of a PTP f/x cocker?

And I know it was developed to counteract the problem of blowback on the old automags, but why do some autocockers have Powerfeeds? Any benefit to that?
ironchef97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 05:44 AM   #2 (permalink)
MCB Member

Send a message via AIM to Cunha Send a message via MSN to Cunha Send a message via Yahoo to Cunha

Most all guns are capable of producing blow back which would basically be air being shot up the feed neck. The design of the powerfeed is such that the ball would be bounced off the feed right away and right back into the breech, it might even serve to agitate the feed stack and keep things flowing better.

The sight picture of a powerfeed is worse than any other feed design. A tube crosses the center of the gun and the hopper is offset either to the left or to the right.

Most right or left feed guns are right feed while most powerfeed guns are powerfeed hopper left, so the hopper is on the left side. This seems more natural as it keeps the hopper on the inside of the bunker when the shooter is shooting from his strong side, but it makes the weak side all the weaker, and when you are shooting strong hand the hopper is completely in your way.

All in all it is a functional design and Tom Kaye is a genius. It was on most guns up until 2k and finally got out of blowbacks around 2002.

All feed systems are totally usable powerfeeds are just particularly ugly in a lot of guns. PT powerfeeds arent bad.
Cunha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 06:46 AM   #3 (permalink)

RTP Fan
Hm, are there any warpfeed autococker bodies?
ironchef97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 07:42 AM   #4 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunha View Post
All in all it is a functional design and Tom Kaye is a genius. It was on most guns up until 2k and finally got out of blowbacks around 2002.
Most automags maybe, but a rare site on other guns.

The design of the automag meant there was alot of blowby gas up the feed elbow, causing the "popcorn" effect, where the paint in a almost empty hopper would bounce around like the inside of a popcorn machine.

But the problem was rare on other guns. A good test was to remove the elbow, and place 3 paintballs into the feed. Fire the gun, and see if any pop out.

They did become trendy in the mid-late 90s, when people thought, incorrectly, that they made your gun feed FASTER. So, you ended up seeing them on guns usually associated with useless add-ons: Blowbacks, and low/mid level guns.

Gradually people realized that they only blocked your view, slowed your feed, and made it harder to clean, so they have fallen out of favor.

One odd bit of trivia, automag bodies were originally right-feed, so powerfeed automags blocked your view. WHen Tom designed the minimag, he purposely positioned the PF on the other side.

This became the main selling point of Minimags- "You can still see your target". Eventually, AGD made righty/lefty versions of both, but not for a few years.

"the evidence strongly suggests that neither Billy nor Adam (Smart Parts) could have invented the electronic paintgun" -Garr M. King, U.S. Judge
HP_Lovecraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 07:51 AM   #5 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunha View Post
The sight picture of a powerfeed is worse than any other feed design. A tube crosses the center of the gun and the hopper is offset either to the left or to the right.
Except center feed which soo many guns are today.

Shives
shives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 10:05 AM   #6 (permalink)

Here's the view of my old Spyder Classic. Personally I don't like power feeds, or for that matter center feed either.

Old 04-23-2009, 02:41 PM   #7 (permalink)
So say we all!

Send a message via AIM to Drachen Send a message via MSN to Drachen

CCM Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by shives View Post
Except center feed which soo many guns are today.

Shives
See, but that's the thing. I can't, for the life of me, hit anything with one or two balls with anything other than a centerfeed marker. I can aim just fine looking slightly down the side of the marker. But put a power feed on something, and I can't. Plain left or right feeds just seem more awkward to me than anything.
Current Collection: Azodin KP3 - GOG Enmey - AGD ULE Mag - Bob Long Defiant - Empire Axe - AM-P Illusion - Tippmann 68 Carbine - Tippmann SL 68 II - ICD Promaster - Tippmann 98 Custom (x2) - Smart Parts Ion (x2) - System X Type X
Drachen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 02:46 PM   #8 (permalink)
Red=Moderator

Drachen.. your from a different "playing" generation.

You give me a center feed and I can't see my target. I would have been a horrible Bren gunner. I still prefer right feed.

E
Schmitti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 02:55 PM   #9 (permalink)
Not Popular

eh, most automags after about 1995 never had blow back problems either. and esp level 10 automags.

i for one like my powerfeed RT. i have the tube sawed off to be as short as possible and it gets the hopper very close to over the body. much closer to the body then the right feeds. it also helps in bursts because it means there is a nice long ball stack, and because i can outshoot a revvy on my RT, makes high speed bursts easy. and i love the sight picture and the profile. its slightly smaller on the right, and with a slight tilt, equal on the left.

what i never understood was power feed shockers and junk like that. that makes little to no sense at all. but they are smart parts, what can you expect from them.

another benefit of power feed is last ball bounce. its something the egos have now with the slightly offset vertical feedneck to prevent the last few balls from a hopper from bouncing around in the breach to much due to not having a ball stack on top of them. powerfeed changes the angle on the stack so the last few balls out of a hopper are better held in place.

the real moral of the story is that powerfeed isn't needed on modern guns. but i don't think for any reason that it is detrimental in performance. i like the long ball stack for using non-force feeds (like revvys) and the profile of the gun is still easy to manage.
Cockerpunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 03:23 PM   #10 (permalink)
MaD
MCB Member

I have a Kingman Hammer with a powerfeed. Figure that one out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by senghing27
ooops
Note: While I would love to take credit for his work, I am not associated with Mad Customs!
You can contact BigMatt-MadCustoms in his MCB forum
MaD is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » Ask The Experts