mcarterbrown.com  

Bacon and other Good Eats Cooking, recipes, how-tos, etc

Old 04-29-2016, 02:01 PM   #1 (permalink)
Villiage Idiot

Send a message via MSN to Greenmtnphantom

Fan of EMR
1st time Smoking

Just got a smoker for the first time and figured I would open the door to any suggestions you guys might have.

First project is going to be a pork shoulder I am going to try to do tomorrow. Wife picked up applewood chips.
Since this thread started with boobs what are we supposed to derail it with?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drum View Post
Someone ban that painthappy dude
Stock class = 12grams and a stick feed. End discussion.
Greenmtnphantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 11:04 PM   #2 (permalink)
MCB Member

Send a message via AIM to Fubarius Send a message via Yahoo to Fubarius

Brass and Wood Fan
PPS Fan
Don't be afraid to finish the pork shoulder in the oven. You'll have more control at the end, and the pros do it that way all the time.

Barbecue Pork Butt Recipe : Alton Brown : Food Network

Nunquam emere quid potes facere
Fubarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 02:09 AM   #3 (permalink)
Post Whore

I'm not a big fan of apple, I tend to stick with just plain oak when I smoke. I start out with charcoal, add a piece every so often, as the charcoal starts to do, I keep the heat going with plain oak firewood. Perfect smoke ring, pull off the bone, tender Boston butt every time. I would definitely do a butt over a shoulder, fat content I believe is better. Oh, and don't be stingy on the rub. Get it all over it. Also, I tend to "mop" my shoulder in a mixture of 1:1 brown sugar melted in apple juice through a spray bottle. Makes application much easier. What smoker did you get?
Old 04-30-2016, 03:55 AM   #4 (permalink)
Villiage Idiot

Send a message via MSN to Greenmtnphantom

Fan of EMR
It's a Smoker, Charcoal, gas grill combo. Oklahoma Joe Longhorn.

I'll suggest to my wife that we try to Oak next. I already have the shoulder in the fridge so thats what I will go with this time. All kinds of stuff on the list of things to try throughout the summer though.

I'm planning on giving it about 9-10 hrs for an 8lbs shoulder. We will see how it goes.
Since this thread started with boobs what are we supposed to derail it with?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drum View Post
Someone ban that painthappy dude
Stock class = 12grams and a stick feed. End discussion.
Greenmtnphantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 04:52 AM   #5 (permalink)
Rec Poster

I'd recommend making your own rub. There are plenty of recipes out there, just pick one that sounds decent and go from there. Hold the salt if you've already dry brined. Dry brining can be as simple as applying kosher salt liberally a few hours to a day before you toss it in the smoker.

Internal temp is the best way to know when something is done. I'd also recommend getting a decent temp sensor. I've got a maverick that I like that has two probes - meat and smoker. It's also got a handy wireless display.

Pork shoulders and butts are pretty forgiving and cheap so they're good to figure out what's what with before throwing down with a 48$ brisket. Let us know how it turns out!
Drew_72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 10:03 AM   #6 (permalink)
Trilogy Apologist

I just saw the title to the thread and thought something totally different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad Thompson View Post
Who is this Chad Thompson you all are talking about?
Virtus Et Peritia
magmoormaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 10:44 AM   #7 (permalink)
Patient Zero

Send a message via Yahoo to Tracker Send a message via Skype™ to Tracker

CCM Fan
yeah me too, i have heard smoking a prime rib and finishing it in the oven is a VERY amazing experience

^And i did it while wearing a helmetcam^ in 1080P HD if you need proof
Trackers feedback
Tracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 01:17 PM   #8 (permalink)
Noob Bait

Quote:
Originally Posted by magmoormaster View Post
I just saw the title to the thread and thought something totally different.
Same.
Old 04-30-2016, 01:29 PM   #9 (permalink)
Semper Paratus

CCM Fan
PPS Fan
hickory!!! lol. I wish I had a better smoker, Brinkmann is no bueno.
ColonelYun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 02:26 PM   #10 (permalink)
Post Whore

Second the making your own rub. It's amazing the conditions you come up with when you peer into the pantry/spice cabinet. I personally don't brine, even on my turkeys at Thanksgiving time. That might change this year, a few parts were a tad biy dry, but overall good turkey. Smoked the ham right alongside it. Charcoal/gas hybrid smoker grills are handy, but finicky. It's kind of like a lathe/mill combo. Sure, it'll get the job done, but a dedicated machine for each would do better. I currently run a charcoal grill for a smoker. It's gonna be going through some modifications here soon to make a better smoker out of it until I get into a house and can build a nice offset. Plans are to use thick gauge steel to make a removable "shelve" right above the charcoal to act as a convection plate and smoke diffusor. Goal is to have it act like a vertical offset, but be stacked so I don't have to cut up my grill. Ultimately means going through a full sealing down to removing the stock air inlets and replacing with ball valves for greater efficiency and control. Whole thing should become more efficient, and able to hold temperature better in the end. When I get into a house, I plan to build a reverse flow offset with enough space for at least 2 butts and some ribs. Probably won't smoke that much often, but it'd be nice for when family/friends come over.

Sorry for rambling. Just enjoy your new smoker, and you're going to love the flavor. Trust me, it'll be hard to have pulled pork or ribs any other way after this. And don't just do traditional either. Experiment. One of my more popular items are Cubans made with pulled slow smoke mojo pork and smoked ham. The smoke really intensifies the mojo.

mcarterbrown.com » General » Off-Topic » Bacon and other Good Eats