mcarterbrown.com  

Bacon and other Good Eats Cooking, recipes, how-tos, etc

Old 01-11-2019, 10:51 AM   #1 (permalink)
THE Green Modster

Send a message via MSN to Greenmtnphantom

Fan of EMR
Chili

Looking into doing some chili in the slow cooker tomorrow so we have dinner ready when we get back from a day out of town.

I don't have a real go to way of making it. Just always kind of wing it.

I know that opinions vary a lot on this but what is your go to? How hot do you like it?

Personally I'm medium heat, and I throw in beef, tomatoes, onions, garlic and beans then season it up. Again no real measurements, cause I'm just not organized enough for that, I just kind of eyeball it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drum View Post
Someone ban that painthappy dude
Stock class = https://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/...ml#post2063667

Master Jar Jar
Greenmtnphantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 10:57 AM   #2 (permalink)
Mr. Hoity Toity

I like to toss some dark chocolate in mine. How hot depends on who is eating it. You really do not want the family to be uncomfortable eating it
No one is judge/jury/executioner here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbinger[TG] View Post
I must have missed that memo

Feedback

Kinda Loves DPrekel
The Flounder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 11:12 AM   #3 (permalink)
One Foot Less

I use Carol Shelby's brown bag chili mix as a starter.
Always use real dried beans, not canned. I prefer light red kidneys and pinto, or as of late, black beans.
I have found better results with chili using the ground beef with the higher fat content as opposed to lean beef. Beef tips or sausage, venison, etc can be subbed.

My normal pot is the above with green pepper, onion, mushrooms, tomato paste, and diced tomatoes. I use the whole cayenne pack. My last pot I subbed in pickled jalapeno for the green pepper and it was much better, IMO.
Old 01-11-2019, 11:15 AM   #4 (permalink)
One Foot Less

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Flounder View Post
I like to toss some dark chocolate in mine. How hot depends on who is eating it. You really do not want the family to be uncomfortable eating it

Yes, dark chocolate compliments the spice aspect in anything. Very good idea. May give that one a try.

What portion do you use in relation to the amount of meat, etc.? Unsweetened I would imagine?
Old 01-11-2019, 12:15 PM   #5 (permalink)
MCB Member

CCM Fan
I use a bunch of hamburger and 2 big cans of all the types/color of chili beans I can find. When I brown the hamburger I add chili powder, onion powder, and garlic powder. Pour everything into the Ninja Cooking System. Add <spoiler alert> spicy V8 to make the Ninja full. Cook on high 1 hour. Cook on low 4-5 hours or so.

My family is moving in with me and they're not a fan of spicy v8 and have low sodium diets so we'll use low sodium V8. However, I have a crockpot and still make my type of chili. Mom has a Ninja Cooking System too.

Dang it. Now I'm hungry for chili and the weather here got cold and snow is in the forecast. It's chili cooking weather.

Cheers,
Jim
THE Hulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 01:49 PM   #6 (permalink)
Scavenger

Y’wanna go to the next level?
Step 1:Use smoked meat and throw in some lime zest and the end.
Step 2: mouthgasm
Bigtuana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 01:59 PM   #7 (permalink)
I would rather be fishing

I love me some chili. I am not an exact measurement guy either but me "secret" ingredient is I take 1 large yellow, red and orange bell pepper and chop them up into fairly small chunks and let them simmer in. Adds a great sweet flavor to it. As far as meat I like a combo or ground pork and beef but when I get fancy I have a Tritip ground and use that as my beef. Personally I hate beans so I do an all meat version but to each there own there

"Step 1:Use smoked meat and throw in some lime zest and the end"
And to this statement one time I made a smoked meatloaf and ended up taking it and turning it into chili and wow it was good but I never repeated the process because it just took to long

Last edited by Junglepeanut; 01-11-2019 at 02:03 PM.
Junglepeanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 02:36 PM   #8 (permalink)
The Fleeing Pickle

Kilt Club
I love chili, but I don't make it for others as I like a good old fashioned b-hole burnin'
JonnyDread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 03:17 PM   #9 (permalink)
No Effects, just cooler

Over the past year, Ive been working on my own chili recipe. I like ground beef, stew beef, and mild Italian sausage. Black beens, baked beens, mushrooms, celery, tomatoes(chopped and paste) plus spices. Usually I let it all simmer in the slow cooker for like 4 hours or so.

-Dealings Feedback-
Proudly Playing For:
Wookie Dicks
Lucha Cabras
nofxkid2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 04:13 PM   #10 (permalink)
MCB Member

I've been a big fan of chili for years. I'll second using Carrol Shelby's chili mix. It has the right mix of spices with cayenne in a separate pack, and comes with masa flour to thicken it and add a good Tex Mex flavor. I use 2 lb of 85% ground beef and 1 lb of ground andoulie sausage to 2 packages of chili mix. Sauteed the minced Spanish onion first then brown the ground beef. Add 4 cans of chili style diced tomatoes, 1 can of tomato paste, and 1 can of tomato sauce. As it heats up stir frequently and add 24 oz of Corona beer. Once that begins to simmer slowly add the spice packets while stirring. Add 3-4 cans of Bush chili beans and turn the heat to low and cover. Let simmer for 2 hours stirring every half hour. Add the masa flour and water mixture and stir. If the tomatoes make it too acidic add 1/8th cup of packed dark brown sugar during cooking. Top with scallions, grated cheese,and sour cream in a bowl. 2nd day chili is reserved for chili mac and cheese or chili dogs.
JudgeMental1 is online now   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » Off-Topic » Bacon and other Good Eats