mcarterbrown.com  

CCI Home of the Phantom Pump Gun

Old 11-08-2018, 04:11 AM   #1 (permalink)
MCB Member

Avoiding scratches on the barrel with the standard pump handle

I've done some searches on this and can't find any pre-existing threads on this topic, so now I'm dropping the question here...

I find myself gravitating back to the standard pump handle (over the barrel) on my phantom. Mike's dual rod undercocking kit is great, but I think I prefer the feel and lighter weight of the standard pump handle.

The only issue is, I don't want to scratch up my blingin' anodized barrels! I've got a plain silver barrel that's seen some moderate use with the standard pump handle, and it's already got some clearly visible scratches on it.

So my question is, what if anything can be done to preserve the exterior finish of the CCI barrel while using the standard pump handle?

atomicleaf
atomicleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 07:47 AM   #2 (permalink)
Pump It Real Good

Brass and Wood Fan
I haven't found the time to do it yet, but I was thinking about a way to prevent this, too. The original PMI Trracer had a small metal ring on the barrel that would prevent direct contact with the pump handle and the barrel, itself. It works really well, too. Have a very well used Trracer that has no signs of any marking on the original barrel.

Problem with doing something similar with a stock pump handle on a Phantom, though, is that there is just not enough meat on the top of the pump handle to enlarge it cleanly, so that it would ride over something like a plastic collar. So, that would require a custom pump handle and something to stand it off...
ProtoNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 08:59 AM   #3 (permalink)
MCB Member

You can get PTFE wear tape and mount on the inside of a Phantom pump handle that will reduce the wear. Also adding car wax to the barrel surface will also give a slight barrier to wear on the anodized surface (Type III wears better).

"Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud." -Sophocles

My Pyre #PY008 RF Oak Grendel's Feedback on MCB Pyre Serial Number List
Grendel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 09:40 AM   #4 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grendel View Post
You can get PTFE wear tape and mount on the inside of a Phantom pump handle that will reduce the wear. Also adding car wax to the barrel surface will also give a slight barrier to wear on the anodized surface (Type III wears better).
I'm trying some PTFE dry lube. It's invisible. I haven't used it much since I applied it, and the barrel already had a lot of wear marks so not much of a test yet. The stuff I used was kind of old. They have a WD-40 PTFE spray now, as well as CRC and LPS.

Once you get dirt in there, I would think it could get embedded in the handle and always lurk there. Whether it is lube or tape, you probably have to keep it clean and re-apply.

some things are stickier than others
Spider! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 11:12 AM   #5 (permalink)
MCB Member

Yup, cleanliness is important and yes the PTFE tape can have foreign material trapped in it but I've had a good track record with it working. I do though keep my equipment cleaned up during and after play (flush off paint residue/grime with water/alcohol mix often) so that might be part of it. The tape is cheap by the roll and easily removed and replaced, my water alcohol mix eventually gets to the adhesive and forces me to replace occasionally anyway.

Dry lube might be pretty useful, not tried it myself but I have some I guess I'll give it a try. I'm getting ready to have a project Cerekoted so will have a virgin surface, I'll try dry lube and take before and after pictures for a while and see how it does. I know Cerekote is tougher then anodization but it does show wear as a glossy surface and might be a good visual test.

Last edited by Grendel; 11-08-2018 at 03:56 PM. Reason: missing word - grammar is hard
Old 11-08-2018, 03:09 PM   #6 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
So you put that on the inside of the pump handle? Seems like that would be tricky to do.

Why not just put the tape on the barrel? Couldn't you could remove the tape and clean of the residue if you wanted to, with a little elbow grease?

atomicleaf

Last edited by atomicleaf; 11-08-2018 at 03:18 PM.
Old 11-08-2018, 03:15 PM   #7 (permalink)
MCB Member

I've heard of people applying pb oil to the outside of the barrel in order to provide some lube, but that doesn't seem like it would be enough to prevent scratches.

Does anyone know if the clear pump handles scratch less? I just recently picked up an older phantom from a member here and it has a red/clear pump handle. Not sure how much use it actually got in that configuration but I could not see any visible scratches on the barrel, whereas my silver barrel which is much newer has many small scratches that are plainly visible. Could it be that it just shows up easier on certain ano's?

atomicleaf
Old 11-08-2018, 03:55 PM   #8 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomicleaf View Post
So you put that on the inside of the pump handle? Seems like that would be tricky to do.

Why not just put the tape on the barrel? Couldn't you could remove the tape and clean of the residue if you wanted to, with a little elbow grease?
I put it inside the pump handle so you do not see it mostly from an aesthetic point of view, you could put it on the barrel but that wouldn't look as good IMO. Not really hard to do, you can get all sorts of sizes/thicknesses of PTFE Tape -3M 5181 0.188" Wide x 36yd Roll Gray General Purpose PTFE Skived Film Tape at less then a buck a yard. I can do several pump handles out of one yard. [FYI I use the stuff for other things besides paintball so I buy it anyway.]

I'll apply 3 strips if there is room (gap between pump handle and barrel) one on top and two ~120degrees from that one so the handle is supported on the barrel by three strips and well centered. What I linked is approximately what I use I'll have to find the roll to check thickness, mine might be thinner. I make sure I trim the length a little shorter then the handle so it does not get caught on any thing by sticking out.

Old 11-08-2018, 04:57 PM   #9 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
I put it inside the pump handle so you do not see it mostly from an aesthetic point of view, you could put it on the barrel but that wouldn't look as good IMO. Not really hard to do, you can get all sorts of sizes/thicknesses of PTFE Tape -3M 5181 0.188" Wide x 36yd Roll Gray General Purpose PTFE Skived Film Tape at less then a buck a yard. I can do several pump handles out of one yard. [FYI I use the stuff for other things besides paintball so I buy it anyway.]

I'll apply 3 strips if there is room (gap between pump handle and barrel) one on top and two ~120degrees from that one so the handle is supported on the barrel by three strips and well centered. What I linked is approximately what I use I'll have to find the roll to check thickness, mine might be thinner. I make sure I trim the length a little shorter then the handle so it does not get caught on any thing by sticking out.
Cool thanks. So if I understand you right, you are applying these strips lengthwise on the inside of the pump handle, down almost the entire length of the handle? If you could tell me the thickness you're using that would be a great help!

I imagine this would actually have a secondary benefit of tightening up the pump stroke slightly, since the tape would take up the spare space between the handle and the barrel.

atomicleaf
Old 11-09-2018, 10:54 AM   #10 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomicleaf View Post
Cool thanks. So if I understand you right, you are applying these strips lengthwise on the inside of the pump handle, down almost the entire length of the handle? If you could tell me the thickness you're using that would be a great help!

I imagine this would actually have a secondary benefit of tightening up the pump stroke slightly, since the tape would take up the spare space between the handle and the barrel.
Yup, lengthwise most of the length of the pump. That way it does not capture grime and it make it easy to keep clean. It also is easy to install the strips.

I looked and the thickness of my tape is 7 mils and whitish in color which is pretty close to what I linked above in thickness.

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » CCI