mcarterbrown.com  

Old 03-21-2019, 03:24 PM   #1 (permalink)
MCB Member

Minnesota / Western Wisconsin Memberships

I know there's a few active Minnesotans / West WI people on here.

Debating on where I'm going to get my membership - it's between Splat-Tag and Vintage. If I really end up playing more than expected, maybe it'll be both, but right now I can't justify it.

I plan on playing at both periodically, so a membership at one doesn't mean I won't be playing from time to time at the other, it just means whichever I choose will have preferential treatment.

Someone who's been around for awhile and has played at both - who's got the friendlier regulars, the consistently largest walk-on groups, and most diverse talent pool?

I'll be playing pump and mech probably 75% of the time - so while I don't mind everybody rolling electros, I would lean towards where-ever I'd be most likely to find like-minded folks.

Thanks for your input!
Old 03-21-2019, 05:20 PM   #2 (permalink)
MCB Member

I've played at Splat Tag regularly for the past 15yrs. Highly recommend it. My group plays mostly pump, with some mechs and maybe an electro or two. Owner is a great guy. Very charitable and always building up the field. They are opening this weekend. First "big game" is March 31st. I doubt it will be very big due to the snow melt and mud. But I plan on being there.

I've never played at Vintage, but I've got friends who have. I'm not here to bash other fields so we'll just say they all prefer Splat Tag.
Carlito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 06:43 PM   #3 (permalink)
Post Whore

What city are you located in?

Splat Tag is great for big games, but I haven’t had as much luck with regular open play.

Have you considered MN Pro just south of the cities?
Old 03-22-2019, 09:22 AM   #4 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackmagic71 View Post
What city are you located in?

Splat Tag is great for big games, but I haven’t had as much luck with regular open play.

Have you considered MN Pro just south of the cities?
I'm in Minneapolis. Vintage, Splat Tag, and MN Pro are all close enough in drive times to be considered.

I've considered MN Pro, but haven't considered a membership too seriously because I'm trying to get some friends involved in the sport and their rental prices are pretty high (And to be honest, their military-type phrasing is a bit of a turn off - not in a political way, but I've never been a big fan of likening paintball to combat). I have a couple loaner markers and masks, so it wouldn't be too often that a friend would have to rent, but it's a possibility.

I know I'll make it down there at least a couple times to play and check it out. If I'm being honest, being able to bring beer is a reasonable perk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlito View Post
I've played at Splat Tag regularly for the past 15yrs. Highly recommend it. My group plays mostly pump, with some mechs and maybe an electro or two. Owner is a great guy. Very charitable and always building up the field. They are opening this weekend. First "big game" is March 31st. I doubt it will be very big due to the snow melt and mud. But I plan on being there.

I've never played at Vintage, but I've got friends who have. I'm not here to bash other fields so we'll just say they all prefer Splat Tag.
Oh yeah, I have no interest in places getting bashed! If multiple fields in the metro can exist and survive and thrive that's only a good thing; and realistically I'm going to play everywhere a few times - it's just a matter of deciding where I'll be frequently enough to justify a membership.

I've been leaning Splat Tag - I know of at least one other person on the boards who frequents there and plays pump and I've heard nothing but good things about the owner. I won't make it out this weekend but I'm going to push real hard to be out there next weekend, even if I end up coming solo and meeting people as I go.

Last edited by WashedUpMinnesotan; 03-22-2019 at 09:26 AM.
WashedUpMinnesotan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 02:49 PM   #5 (permalink)
MCB Member

Come say hi. Just look for the group of weirdos.
Old 03-22-2019, 10:05 PM   #6 (permalink)
MCB Member

Send a message via AIM to Fubarius Send a message via Yahoo to Fubarius

Brass and Wood Fan
PPS Fan
I usually find myself going to Splattag. Even filmed a youtube video there (a demo of my old 707 for the guy who was buying it). I've been known to setup multiple tables of guns and parts for sale during lunch break at the monthly big games. I need to do that more often. I aim for the special event days, the pump/pistol games and monthly big games (as rarely as I get a chance to play these days), but even random walk-on days have had a nice assortement of players, with everything from renters to pumps to mag fed to top of the line electros all in the same game. The BPS cap on the electros keeps things mostly balanced. Good field assortment, but some of the refs do have a preference for certain ones, and if one of those refs ends up running open play expect to hit the same field over and over for a while.

Vintage used to be a bit too tournament oriented when they first opened up (other fields in the area had the same issue, I got horror stories, but that's another topic). I hear they got much, much better, but the initial impression has made it hard for me to justify the extra 20 miles or so. I used to play a LOT there before it was Vintage, back when SCP was running it (owner was a friend and teammate back in the day). I want to check them out this summer, so if you plan on going drop a line here so we can make a MCB day of it.

Nunquam emere quid potes facere
Fubarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 05:01 AM   #7 (permalink)
Plays on the cheap

Not exactly west WI, more central. Near Stevens Point, about 3.5 or 4 hours away.

I've been playing at Splat-Tag on and off for about 10 years and I love it there. I don't paintball much these days, but when I do I travel to Splat-Tag and spend an overnight somewhere. Never played at Vintage. Perhaps I should give it a go.
Old 03-25-2019, 09:59 AM   #8 (permalink)
MCB Member

Lot of nice words for Splat-Tag which I think pretty much wraps it up for me. I'm planning on being out there this Saturday if the weather holds.

Thanks for your input everyone. I'll be the dude with the silver and red splash open class Phantom and other old assorted goodies. Look forward to meeting you all this season
Old 03-25-2019, 12:39 PM   #9 (permalink)
MCB Member

That's cool, they will be open Saturday, but Sunday is the game. Should have a better turn out. Saturday, this early in the season could be hit or miss.
Old 03-27-2019, 06:24 PM   #10 (permalink)
MCB Member

Send a message via AIM to Fubarius Send a message via Yahoo to Fubarius

Brass and Wood Fan
PPS Fan
Just a heads up, on Sunday since they're doing the player flea market I'll have a big pile of stuff for sale. Including some very recent acquisitions.

Nunquam emere quid potes facere
Fubarius is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » Local Games » Central