mcarterbrown.com  

Collectors Corner A place to post up and show off your collection.

Old 01-17-2015, 09:02 PM   #1 (permalink)
MCB Member

Brass and Wood Fan
An ode to poor impulse control in B minor, by delta5

I can never leave well enough alone, so everything gets a special touch. Where I have a "before" pic, I've linked it after the title. Probably doesn't need mentioning, but this collection is ever growing, and includes projects in progress.

//----------------------------------

Unicorns
I'll never get rid of these. Never ever nurver. I've either wanted these forever, put way too much time into making them perfect for me, or they're totally unique special flowers. So actual unicorns. Also, these are the guns I play with most often. The mag has only failed me once, the brass and Viking never.

//=========================

XMT Automag - in progress
  • One piece carbon body by XMagTerror
  • AGD X-valve
  • Deadlywind Fibur barrel
  • AKA feedneck
  • ANS GX5 frame
  • Air America Apocalypse 2k on Ninja tank
  • CP detents
  • all stainless hardware
  • sear pin
  • grub screw to secure valve halves

Frame was milled for railless running by me. Foregrip is an offcut from a bicycle fork steerer tube. It's 2-3deg off-angle since it shifted while the epoxy was setting.

Update 2015.7.12: No updated pic, doesn't look particularly different but for a stainless braided line. Drilled and tapped a shallow hole for a grub screw at the seam between valve halves. From shot #1, it starts backing the valve body apart. Easier to disassemble than Locktiting the halves together. No more hardline in frame. Couldn't come up with a solution I was happy with both aesthetically and mechanically. Talked to Ninja, they'll make a super-short microbore remote line for me, so it'll route same way as it does currently, but be lighter than stainless, more secure than macro, and look a little different. No Staubli PTC fittings, just a regular disconnect. Switching to a Centerflag Dynaflow and putting a dovetail on the frame, in the name of weight! No longer doing the Ti mini rail inside the frame, as it's not moving, marking, anything after a few cases of paint through it.

Still in the works:
  • lightened titanium hardware (partially/totally drilled screws, profiled heads, etc.)
  • run hardline inside frame
  • Ninja microbore remote with QD, custom length.
  • dovetail and ultralight-mill frame
  • anodize frame gloss black.
  • titanium mini rail inside pocket in frame, (I'm worried about hammering out the frame holes and fatigue from extended RT-effect.)

(needs an updated pic)

PMI2 - before
Yeah, not much of a unicorn to most, but a PMI2 was my first "real" paintball gun, and the first one I bought with my own money. Sold it off like an idiot when I was 17, finally got another one.
  • Shocktech trigger pants
  • PMI grips
  • Cooper T bolt
  • aluminum CO2 to replace my old steelie
  • mostly stainless hardware (can't find the little screws for the ASA)
  • PPS ball detent
  • spring feed

Did the wedgits, spring feed, and detent myself, though the false start for the detent hole is visible. I did measure twice, but something still looked off after I started the drill. Checked and of course I was a full .250 off.

Still to come:
  • RVA mod
  • banjo air tube
  • titanium pump rod
  • delrin pump handle
  • titanium bolt pull pin
  • aluminum pump arm end

I have the stock for all the parts. Just need some mill and lathe time to actually do the work.

AKA Viking JMJ Factory Team #08
I've been wanting one of these since they were new, and this specific one for quite a while. Some of you will probably recognize this pic. For sure one of you will. It was taken by the seller. He's been a saint in dealing with his postal service and customs, who delayed the package and actually sort of lost it for a few days. I'll officially add it here once I have it in my grubby little mitts.

Update 2015.7.11, long overdue: This one turns me into Jayne. Her name is Vera, and she is my very favorite electro. I love the milling on the body, and it shoots like a dream. The trigger is a JMJ Nurvous, and is supposedly 24k gold plated. I'm considering taking it to a jeweler to confirm. I just know it doesn't look anodized, and it does look fantastic on the gun. The frame was dovetail milled by someone since it left the factory, wouldn't fit anything but the Hybrid ASA it came with, and the inside looks like someone hogged it out with a die grinder. I milled a little off the dovetail so it's straight and fits the Conquest well, and allows the use of other ASAs. Haven't cleaned up the inside yet, still not sure if I want to. Would probably just get it ultralight milled at some point if it bothered me enough.
  • short Sidewinder top (came with long)
  • MacDev Conquest HPA (came with Hybrid on/off ASA)
  • Deadlywind Fibur barrel (came with Javelin)
  • stainless hardware anywhere it wasn't already present

Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.
~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Armory | Feedback | World of Tanks

Last edited by delta5; 07-12-2015 at 11:32 AM.
delta5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 09:05 PM   #2 (permalink)
MCB Member

Brass and Wood Fan
Non-unicorns, but I still love 'em.

There's nothing particularly special about these, I just happen to like them. They're generally off the shelf parts, or only lightly modded.

Automag Classic - Before
  • Right feed standard body
  • standard rail
  • Level 7 valve
  • RT on/off
  • Air America Black Ice reg bottom as valve back
  • CP twist-lock barrel
  • ViewLoader foregrip
  • ANS GX4 frame
  • Centerflag Thunder reg on Ninja bottle
  • CCM fittings
  • Guerrilla Air low profile fill nipple
  • Anodizing by Caustic Customs

Frame milled for sear clearance, for bottom dovetail to direct mount tank, and for countersunk mounting screws. Rail midgeted and milled for valve retaining pin. Black Ice reg bottom drilled and tapped for valve retaining pin.

Etek 3 LT
My first spacedildo! I chose the LT over the AM because I thought it might weigh less, and I'm not married to metal on everything. Carbon and glass reinforced nylon have their place. (see: original AGD frames, R/C stuff, race cars, bicycles, aircraft, etc.)
  • AKA 2L+ inline reg
  • Zick Ti rammer
  • Kila bolt kit
  • Cure 4 bolt, Pooty modded
  • MacDev Conquest with 008 mod
  • CCM fittings, Shocktech Ripdrive knob, and fill nipple cover anodized to match the coffee-colored screw kit
  • Freak bored barrel back by TJD

Future:
  • green digicam Halo shells
  • LPR modding and spring tuning for lower pressures

ICD BKO 2004 - Before
Just got this in a mystery box, started working on it, and already got attached. Same story as the following Zeus. This is replacing the Trilogy in the next section as my loaner.
  • CP inline reg
  • AKA SCMIII
  • Kila Promaster board
  • LAPCO Auto Spirit barrel
  • Planet Eclipse POPS ASA

Still to come is an AKA locking feedneck. Plan is to turn this into a BKOmaster and run it on low enough pressure that I don't need to mod for eyes.

WGP Autococker - in progress
Inspired by a random pic of a Cocker I once saw. All black, mostly matte, but for the pneus being silver with a purple KAPP LPR.
  • Body halfblocked and midgeted from Vitalsilence
  • halfblock kit off eBay
  • CheckIt detent
  • Evil front block
  • KAPP LPR
  • Belsales Hollowpoint 4-way
  • ANS ram
  • ANS (?) volumizer
  • DYE VASA
  • Benchmark slider frame
  • A2D trigger plate
  • Belsales roller sear
  • Shocktech trigger pants
  • OTP velocity adjuster
  • brass tipped trigger guide screws
  • Smart Parts Linear barrel
  • Stainless hardware, including the frame screws. Coffee-brown aluminum ones were all I had when I took the pic.

Probably going to be an AKA Sidewinder inline reg, and not sure what HPA on here yet. Possibly a MacDev Conquest. Trigger plate contact surfaces and guide screw tips polished by me. Barrel freak bored by TJD.

Still coming:
  • some more off the body
  • anodized body matte black
  • slot mill a hammer
  • feedneck mod for Etek 3/newer Egos
  • welded titanium pump rod
  • titanium 4-way rod
  • titanium 4-way collar

Already have all the ti stock, just need time on the mill.

Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.

Last edited by delta5; 03-13-2015 at 06:13 PM.
Old 01-17-2015, 09:08 PM   #3 (permalink)
MCB Member

Brass and Wood Fan
'Tis better to have loved and lost, than never to have loved at all.
~Tennyson

These either have new owners, will soon have new owners, or I did something special to them for someone and am particularly proud.

Dangerous Power G3 - before

Brother-in-law's golden birthday was his 20th, so wife and I decided to splurge. Bought a lightly used G3, as seen in the before link, stock but for an absolutely chewed up CP reg and a Virtue OLED board. Then went to town on it!
  • TechT L7 bolt engine
  • micro gauge
  • Lurker Eigenbarrel set
  • AKA feedneck
  • CP Sling trigger
  • Planet Eclipse inline reg
  • Planet Eclipse SL94 OOPS ASA
  • CCM fittings
  • stainless hardline (For wallhanging only, sadly. Failed experiment.)
  • anodizing by Caustic Customs
  • Empire Magnadrive hopper
  • Shocktech Ripdrive knob in polished red
  • HK speedfeed in arctic

He's a Chicago boy, through and through, so the design is based off the Chicago flag. Polished red six-point stars with a faint clear halo, acid wash light blue, polished pewter, and dust black.

Unfortunately, he had a nasty motorcycle accident the day after his birthday, so he still hasn't had a chance to "mow faces" with it. (That's what the cool kids say, right?) We're just thankful he's back on his feet as of a few weeks ago. I've been working on a set of hardwood grip panels with a Lexan window and Pearce finger grooves while he was laid up. Picture will be replaced when they're done. It's a sweet shooter though. Maybe we got lucky, but this one goes against the reputation DP seems to have. I'm on the hunt for my own after screwing around on the range with this one.

WGP Autococker Trilogy Competition
This was recently my loaner, previously my primary for a long time, and what I used at my bachelor party. (I let my best man use my Etek, since he'd only ever had horrible experiences paintballing. This time was a rousing success, fortunately!) Its time is done though. I don't use it, have no desire to anymore. and the BKO is simpler and less intimidating for n00bs to borrow. Shoots sweet, and I shouldn't have sold off the Superbolt frame that was on it. Going to put an actual frame on it, and may polish the whole thing before selling it.
  • TechT Zero Kick back block
  • some delrin bolt
  • Shocktech FGP LPR
  • TechT LPR adapter nut
  • TechT 4-way Shaft Kit
  • Evil beavertail
  • CP inline reg
  • stainless hardware

Honorable mentions
  • Warsensor Zeus G2+
  • Tippmann 68 Custom - rebuild, matte tan repaint
  • Automag Classic - Flatline HPA, Revy, Smart Parts wood grips, stupid 8-hole mod
  • PMI2
  • Brass Eagle Stingray

Last edited by delta5; 03-13-2015 at 06:12 PM.
Old 01-19-2015, 06:06 PM   #4 (permalink)
AKA Maggy Moo

That is one snazzy G3!! I agree with you, they are great shooting guns, once you replace the crappy macro fittings and sometimes the reg.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad Thompson View Post
Who is this Chad Thompson you all are talking about?
Virtus Et Peritia
magmoormaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 08:19 PM   #5 (permalink)
MCB Member

Brass and Wood Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by magmoormaster View Post
That is one snazzy G3!! I agree with you, they are great shooting guns, once you replace the crappy macro fittings and sometimes the reg.
Thanks! The stock macros were terrible, but I can't comment on the reg beyond for having read that it's bad. The CP that was on it lives on, it was just too chewed up for this. (And I think the Eclipse shape flows better!) The TechT bolt engine makes it run even more smoothly. Highly recommended.

Old 01-22-2015, 10:48 AM   #6 (permalink)
Major Power Factor

Brass and Wood Fan
Not a single Impulse? I am disappoint.

I can't believe I'm going to say this... but nice G3!

Feedback
matteekay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 01:16 PM   #7 (permalink)
MCB Member

Brass and Wood Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by matteekay View Post
Not a single Impulse? I am disappoint.

I can't believe I'm going to say this... but nice G3!
BKO is sort of like an Impulse, isn't it? Just... FASOR, and not JT/SP...

Title still rings true though: I just spent 30min shopping for Imps, then another 30min convincing myself I don't need to buy another gun just to make a pun work. Oi.

Thanks on the G3! The best compliment is begrudging/surprised.

Old 07-12-2015, 02:48 AM   #8 (permalink)
Made With 100% Potato

Kilt Club
PPS Fan
that viking/excal with the brass? trigger seems interesting.

love where you're going with the mags

and for the etek: ditch it and get an etek5. I swear to god and **** you not, they are godlike, mid-grade-tier aside.

And there's a balance valve in the works for it to make it shoot kinda like a matrix would, so there's that.
YeloSno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 03:07 AM   #9 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Your title is perfect.

I didnt see that specific Viking/excal but I recognize the dc cuts and the frame.
Old 07-12-2015, 03:41 AM   #10 (permalink)
Land of OZ

The XMT Automag is simply stunning

Mike

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » Collectors Corner