mcarterbrown.com  

Custom Projects / Custom Questions How do I customize? What do I customize? What do I use? Share you experiences and faults here!

Old 06-06-2018, 01:00 PM   #191 (permalink)
Paroxysm

Ok, so finally... an update.

It sat in pieces in a plastic bag for a long long time as I managed to rip out the battery wires on the board and due to life stuff I didn't get around it. (bought a house, been repairing the house, been working 2 jobs).

Work I did in the past few days:

1) Resoldered the battery connections to the board.
2) Sanded down the breach area so the mag sits closer (so the final ball can push in all the way.
3) Added a 'guide plate' to the front of the breach hole, as when I originally cut the hole for the balls, I was taking a guess and using hand tools to make the hole (hole saw). This meant that the hole ended up being slightly elongated. As a ball got fed into the breach, it can 'roll back' slightly against the bolt. The next ball in the stack is able to move slightly in front of this ball in the breach due to this, and the elongated hole. This guide plate now stops this happening. In short... I was getting smashed balls, and my guess is this is why.

In short, it is going for more field testing soon.

Next Tasks:
1) Get a new detent... I managed to lose one in the basement (do I really need to buy a pack of 10? lol) - Just because of the type of person I am (persistent), I just know I am gonna find myself on my hands and knees looking for the detent, until I finally cave and just buy them a few days later LOL.

2) Replace the battery connector... the originally is messed up and I want it reliable. (I have a few of these lying around).

3) I need a new barrel (or an AC freak back and tip (I have inserts). I only have two AC barrels, and the lovely rifled Armson barrel is so big the balls just roll through with modern small paint, the other is too long and green.

EDIT: Also.. I am not sure I ever said... I replaced the internal hose with 800psi microline and will never be so stupid again to use an inferior product.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg EthaUpdate (1).jpg (211.8 KB, 133 views)
Old 06-07-2018, 10:30 AM   #192 (permalink)
Paroxysm

Assembled everything last night... and it works, dry fires, I couldn't hear any but I wasn't searching for leaks. Awesome

I actually have to slightly cut down the eye covers a tiny bit as they are interfering with the magazine now that I have got the fit better... but apart from that... working well.

So I am not pretending for a second this is pretty.. but here are some of the changes I made:

1. Guide plate because I used what I had to hand or 'near enough' bought from a hardware store lol. Anyway, just seeing if it resolves the issue (it should).

2. The removed, and then re-positioned captive nut.

3. Just the 'd'oh' of breaking wires. And forgive my anti chaffing tape on the wires lol. Once it all works and has been proven, I will go back and re-wire it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Etha_guide plate.jpg (42.8 KB, 117 views)
File Type: jpg Etha_lowered captive nut.jpg (28.2 KB, 117 views)
File Type: jpg Etha_wires opps.jpg (37.4 KB, 117 views)
Old 06-07-2018, 09:11 PM   #193 (permalink)
Paroxysm

OK, so I spent 10 minutes going through a pile of random stuff in the corner of my basement (clothes, toys etc), and found the detent in a box full of unicorns etc lol.

So... aired her up and did 2 x 20 round mags on rapid fire into the back yard. Flawless execution

However. The barrel is as loose as a they get (must be somewhere near 6.9) and rifled. I need to get a smaller bore AC threaded barrel to make it viable (or an AC freak barrel back and a short tactical tip)

Last edited by Scougar; 06-08-2018 at 06:34 PM.
Scougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 02:22 PM   #194 (permalink)
Paroxysm

Nothing exciting to report:

1) Gonna solder in a new battery connection tonight, the original was totally ruined.
2) Thanks to all my wonderful adjustments I made and not realising that I needed to trim down the eye covers as the mag sits so much closer to the breach now... I had been trying to force the magazine in a few times trying to get it to catch. Thanks to the eye covers attachment points that meant I was forcibly pushing on the JB-Weld and ended up cracking it. So.... I can either just fill it in (or glue it), or I can remake the entire section. For now, I am thinking of just fixing it, and will plan a 'better' breach later. It all needs tidying up anyway.
Old 06-13-2018, 11:12 AM   #195 (permalink)
Paroxysm

The joys of custom work.

Thanks to me still digging my tools out, and 'trying to make do'.... I ended up breaking the breach. This was because the JB Weld around the breach is also the part that holds the eye covers on, and after I shaved down the breach for the mags to sit closer, I didn't remove enough - or neatly enough - of the bottom of the eye cover.

In short, the mags were smashing into the bottom of the eye covers, pulled on the eye cover bolts and broke the JB weld.

I fixed this last night and this morning:

1) Remade part of the breach, and also added a little material where it was weak.
2) Added a strengthening plate to the breach hole, similar to the guide plate I made.
3) As I found my Dremel last night, this morning I finally trimmed back the eye covers so what was previously sitting above the level of the breach, is now sitting very slightly below it, so they will no longer touch the magazines.

Needs to fully cure before I test it.

As a side note, because of my failure to fix the eye cover until now, I noticed that one of the eye's was coming loose, meaning it was defaulting to 'blind' mode. The eye cover adjustment above will resolve that.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg EthaMagfedRevisedProto.jpg (211.1 KB, 648 views)

Last edited by Scougar; 06-13-2018 at 11:40 AM.
Old 06-14-2018, 10:40 AM   #196 (permalink)
Paroxysm

Was tired... all I did was take out the bolt etc, and clean out the swarf from grinding back the JB and tapering the metal slightly. I very nearly brought the project with me to work today because I am so excited to get it back together again, but I should really focus on my real job lol.

I wish tinkering and experimenting was a full time thing lol. (And I had access to real machines - lathes/mills etc.).
Old 06-14-2018, 02:03 PM   #197 (permalink)
Post Whore

That looks majestic! Nice work.

Magfed Hurricane with T15 Mags
seajay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 02:29 PM   #198 (permalink)
Paroxysm

Thanks

Need to get it on the field... strap my camera to it, and the cam on my googles and show see what happens lol.

I can tell you one thing with having such an easy and fast trigger. It is very easy to blow you magazine in short order lol. I want to stiffen up the trigger to make it feel more like proper semi.
Old 06-15-2018, 04:34 PM   #199 (permalink)
Paroxysm

So.. made all my changes... reassembled... and drama lol.

Etha bolt tip came off (this only previously happened because the tip was old.. this was a newer one (I think I have more spares). I am now invetigating the AM metal etha bolt to A) Stop this happening B) Gives me the potential to run FSR if I decide to cut the breach.

The bolt also stuck forward, and part forward. I think I need to dissemble and check for debris and lube the the springless poppet (If that is what I have installed). Will need to check the O-rings as well (I have spares of those).

Also... seems like I broke the eyes lol. (Maybe.. I need to diagnose lol - take them out... reset board... try next to each other.. fiddle with wires, if no go.. then strip them down and see if I broke a wire and resolder if I can.. if not.. buy new eyes.).

Why are things never straightforward? lol.

Breach fix appears solid btw.

Update edit: Found the eye problem... 3 of the 4 eye connections had to be resoldered. Being thrown in a bag, and continually manipulated takes its toll on thing wire connections. 2 were totallly broken and only held on by the sheathing with no connections, the 3rd was intermittent.

Will clean and lube the bolt later as well, although I am now pretty sure I want to buy the Etha AM Bolt as the drag from the JB Weld is I'm sure causing me an issueas it passes the filled hole (with the rubber tip).

Last edited by Scougar; 06-15-2018 at 08:00 PM.
Old 06-15-2018, 08:40 PM   #200 (permalink)
Paroxysm

Quickly test dry-fired. Have changed the bolt tip for a new one and re-lubed everything except the rear of the poppet.

Eyes working perfectly.
Detects jams (simulated).
Doesn't fire when it shouldn't (empty mag), fires when it should lol.
Bolt tip stays on and bolt returns fully
Magazines slide in perfectly.

Oh yeah....

EDIT UPDATE: Did another test firing with paint, and tried by other barrel which is smooth bore and narrower. Was perfect size for paint I have. Only 1 mag... but flawless test firing of 20 rounds Was pretty darn accurate as well. This is totally getting rocked on the 24th at a private game.

Last edited by Scougar; 06-18-2018 at 12:36 AM.

mcarterbrown.com » Custom » Custom Projects / Custom Questions