mcarterbrown.com  

Custom Projects / Custom Questions How do I customize? What do I customize? What do I use? Share you experiences and faults here!

Old 08-29-2018, 12:58 AM   #91 (permalink)
Wookie D*ck

Ugh, a ton of setbacks just as I'm in my last week here.

Car broke down, so I've lost a ton of late night shop hours. Got the rail started, but already made two work coordinate mistakes that are salvageable but probably cost me 5+ hours of work between them. (Yeah, solidworks...when I hit undo in HSM I totally want you to delete my coordinate system that i made 15 minutes ago) Also grabbed the wrong drill at the prompt for my rear frame screw hole, so now I'll have to install a steel insert or something.

Definitely not getting everything wrapped up this week, but I'm going to try and push to get at least the complex stuff done, like the rail and magwell halves. If I can do those, the rest shouldn't be too bad at school. Things might hinge on whether I can jumper my fuel pump relay, assing that's what popped.

On the bright side, the rail isn't scrapped...just cosmetic BS to deal with.

Also, this kind of stuff is exactly why I'm pushing myself to learn CNC machining. Can't design well if you don't mess around and make mistakes.

One more thing...if I get a chance to iterate the design, I think in hindsight I should have done as much of it as a clamshell as possible. Most of the critical geometry would work perfectly with a split, and it would allow for the rail, magwell and most of the body to be integrated with no fasteners.

Here's what it'll EVENTUALLY look like!

Last edited by russc; 08-29-2018 at 01:18 AM.
russc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 08:29 AM   #92 (permalink)
MCB Member

That final is looking nice.

Thankfully, CNC still goes to poop when your operator can't make it to the shop.

When that no longer happens...

some things are stickier than others
Spider! is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 01:58 AM   #93 (permalink)
Wookie D*ck

Pushing to get the rail functional. Waterjetting magwell blanks, too. Wish I had my car, I'd stay all night. Haha.

Last edited by russc; 08-31-2018 at 02:16 AM.
Old 08-31-2018, 02:58 AM   #94 (permalink)
Wookie D*ck

Welp, just ran the top side operation for a few hours. Staved off a crash and it was all looking good until the last set of instructions. Turned my counterbores into through holes. Looked at my CAM and I had made a boneheaded mistake, selected the wrong surface.. Only thing I can do at this point is laugh!

Unfortunately this concludes my time at my co-op job. I'll have to see how generous our new manufacturing head is with the CNCs at BCIT.

Last edited by russc; 08-31-2018 at 03:03 AM.
Old 08-31-2018, 06:09 AM   #95 (permalink)
Level 5 Mage

This is looking very nice, great to see it come this far.

I don't think I'm the first one to say this, but this is starting to look like a Tec 9, a nicer and cleaner Tec 9
Numbskull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 08:01 AM   #96 (permalink)
Worlds Ok-ist Airsmith

CCM Fan
Kilt Club
This has been a really enjoyable build, i’v genuinely been excited whenever you post an update over the summer. I know all to well the frustration of the little slip ups that can happen and the stress of rushing through trying to get things completed when you’re working with borrowed machine time. I’m looking forward to seeing this come to reality.

I think you’ll find that the instructors at school are usually pretty willing to help out when someone is eager to learn and create. I’v got about 25 rails in various stages of completion sitting in a box in my garage from back when I was building my hydras (double barreled phantoms, should show up in a search) that the CNC instructor was more than happy to let me run way back when I was in trade school. Unfortunately my project kind of fizzled out after I got the first 5 built. But I can tell you nothing feels better than getting that first prototype functional.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frink View Post
I always tell my wife: "It could be worse, I could be collecting cars or mistresses"
Quote:
Originally Posted by d4rksabre View Post
How reactionary, polite and intelligent you are Canada. You make me sad.
MCB Feedback

Building a Brass Regulator

Brass CCM Accessories Build Log
Grimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 08:45 AM   #97 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by russc View Post
Unfortunately this concludes my time at my co-op job. I'll have to see how generous our new manufacturing head is with the CNCs at BCIT.
You should take the rail with you when you talk to them to show where you are.

Otherwise, we will all be printing and using inserts to try to make one of these.

some things are stickier than others
Spider! is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 09:17 AM   #98 (permalink)
Rec Poster

Can you thread those through holes for an insert?
Frmespec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 09:17 PM   #99 (permalink)
Paroxysm

Aside from the small magazine, this is the compact gun of my dreams. Utterly amazing work so far!

mcarterbrown.com » Custom » Custom Projects / Custom Questions