mcarterbrown.com  

Custom Projects / Custom Questions How do I customize? What do I customize? What do I use? Share you experiences and faults here!

Old 07-12-2018, 05:12 PM   #11 (permalink)
Wookie D*ck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider! View Post
Wings on the frame would might mess up the water jet cutter plans...

Anyhoo, following
Just watched a Ruger MK II disassembly video...besides the guy needing a rubber mallet to get the frame off that actually looks pretty awesome.

The only issue I see is that you'd have to remove the sear to get the frame off unless the notch can be made really short, and they're obviously relying on a very tight fit with the rear strip pin. Probably a really bad idea to load up a thumbscrew in shear like that, I think AGD got around that problem by using those steel spacers.

A dovetail interface could be really cool on the magwell...I could have a quick release mechanism that lets it slide of the front of the gun, allowing for easy cleaning. Plus, if I do go with the push-pin at the front of the frame, I'd be able to just move the magwell and pivot the frame off after removing just one thumbscrew.

The great thing about the Ruger-style interface is it's one less fastener...not sure if I'd trust (or want) aluminum there though. It would probably wear really quickly. Could put a dowel pin through the rail and have that hook manually milled from steel and bolted to the grip frame?

Last edited by russc; 07-12-2018 at 05:26 PM.
russc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 05:21 PM   #12 (permalink)
No gooder, rascal

Brass and Wood Fan
This is cool
Old 07-12-2018, 09:44 PM   #13 (permalink)
TFGPB

Tape and superglue fixturing can actually work great for profiling a frame full thickness in one go.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6DCvtcU8_M&t=424s

You still need to flip it for the chamfering or filleting on the second side, but good access to the entire periphery.
y0da900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:56 AM   #14 (permalink)
Post Whore

CCM Fan
If you build it, I'll buy it.

For the trigger actuation, have you considered a vertical MPA-3? Maybe the rail would have to be taller but could still be an option, since you are building something from scratch.
mpsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:43 PM   #15 (permalink)
Wookie D*ck

Quote:
Originally Posted by y0da900 View Post
Tape and superglue fixturing can actually work great for profiling a frame full thickness in one go.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6DCvtcU8_M&t=424s

You still need to flip it for the chamfering or filleting on the second side, but good access to the entire periphery.
That's crazy. Might have to give it a shot!
Old Today, 02:25 AM   #16 (permalink)
Wookie D*ck

I was asking around for magazine CAD files earlier...here's a roughed out TiPX mag in Solidworks 2015 format. Pretty sure the dimensions are okay, let me know if it needs adjustment.

The first one would be much, much easier...but I'm not really happy with how it looks or feels with a reversed magazine. I think I'm going to pull the frame back to make room for the second design, which closely matches my original concept.

Spider, you got me on a Ruger kick...right now I'm trying to model the front frame interface after the Ruger Mk. 4. We'll see if it plays nicely with the sear. Might have to drop the frame position to give it more room.

Easy mode:

Look at all that interference...

After some slight adjustments...looks like it's workable. Definitely going to have to do some 3D printed prototypes to check fitment.

Last edited by russc; Today at 03:27 AM.

mcarterbrown.com » Custom » Custom Projects / Custom Questions