mcarterbrown.com  

Custom Projects / Custom Questions How do I customize? What do I customize? What do I use? Share you experiences and faults here!

Old 01-30-2020, 03:18 PM   #1 (permalink)
Zombie Bait

Brass and Wood Fan
CCI Phantom Fan
Replica M14 - Magfed Mechanical Ion

Okay, time to share yet another magfed Ion build.

This here is the 2nd magfed Ion I've built and the 4th truly custom project I've seen to completion. It's also the first and only commission build I'll likely take on, as this sort of one-off build is not conducive to quick turnaround or profitability. It sure was fun as hell to have someone fund a project for once though!

I begain concept work in late 2016 and got my first parts shipped to me in January 2017. Much of my time was spent grinding and cutting out the internal aluminum frame of the donor airsoft gun - and unfortunately this lead to a major setback due to cheap Chinese pot metal cracking and shattering when overheated. I ended up ordering an additional boneyard airsoft gun just for the upper receiver, which thankfully I was able to gut without breaking the second time. Either way, I can't recommend using airsoft guns... even the nice ones tend to have pretty low quality parts. This project required me to fill in a lot of empty space to retain rigidity in the stock, and I had to reinforce nearly every plastic part so it could take a bit of a beating.

Cutting the Ion breach to take squareheads was easy since this was my second time doing it on the Ion and my 4th overall time doing it across 3 other platforms. As always, it requires some patience and a little luck since I'm still only using a dremel. Squareheads are great because A) they seat so high into the breach that there's little room for FSR to flip and B) their collar design allows for a lot of extra real estate under the breach.

I was able to retain much of the structure inside the airsoft receiver to utilize existing locking mechanisms. This allowed me to mount the Ion Can by sliding it inside the upper receiver so that it locks in place via form fit steel stick putty and a couple well placed magnets - the whole thing snaps into place and there is very very little play when installed. The Can is mounted upside down, as are all my drop in ion builds, and this gives me a lot of space to route the necessary hoses, however I still had to fabricate a dust cover of sorts since the QEV sticks up above the old bolt cover. Thank goodness the airsoft gun came with a picatinny rail attachment that covers this area perfectly!

The regulator lives in the buttstock. I chopped the Ion body at the reg and gauge port and used the entire piece so I didnt need to drill and tap a special adaptor fitting. This whole segment twist locks into place using some strategic placing of Steel Stick putty. From there it was just a matter of running a short bit of Macroline from the reg to a nipple and the airline was complete.

While I'm extremely happy with how this project, and it looks and feels beautiful, I cannot claim that it was a total success. I initially failed to meet a design goal of having a select fire option, i.e. I failed to make it electro. I tried my damndest to get a virtue board in there, complete with OLED and extended eye wires, and while I was able to accomplish this, it just wasn't solid enough to send off with confidence. The last thing I'd want is to hack job something together just to have it fail on the first or second trip to the field. So alas... I ripped out all the board mounts near the end and replaced them with a TFGPB mech kit. And hot damn if that didn't solve a whole bunch of other small issues I was having. I really dont mind electros... but it's hard to argue with the ruggedness of a good mechanical gun.

...And that's about all there is to be said about that. It's an M14 replica. Not perfectly accurate but hell, it's a paintball gun.

VSS Vintorez Closed Bolt Mech Ion | Magfed AGD FrankenMag | M14 Mech Ion | First Strike Round Ammo Can | Feedback
Calavera357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 01:20 PM   #2 (permalink)
MCB Member

Damn that is beautiful! Great job
ReconSWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 02:22 PM   #3 (permalink)
President Ragnastock

Brass and Wood Fan
CCI Phantom Fan
Very slick

AnarchicArctic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 02:25 PM   #4 (permalink)
Anything Mech

That looks pretty great, kudos
Rdav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 05:13 PM   #5 (permalink)
Trekkie

Fantastic replica, kudos for you!

That being said, if you call yourself out on a bounce shot (knowing it was skill that hit you and "luck" that saved you) , you may qualify for sainthood
-Mithuna

https://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/...-feedback.html
mlzplayer111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 05:25 PM   #6 (permalink)
Intravenous Maple Syrup

Nice!
Bang*Bang** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 05:34 PM   #7 (permalink)
VP Ragnastock

CCM Fan
CCI Phantom Fan
WOW ! Fantastic job man with all that customization.

NONOBLITUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 03:41 PM   #8 (permalink)
Zombie Bait

Brass and Wood Fan
CCI Phantom Fan
Thanks for the kudos! I'm spending the weekend painting over some of the patches in the plastic and giving the whole thing a coat of clearcoat. I'll hopefully get a shooting video of it up sometime soon-ish along with more pictures of it fully cleaned up.
VSS Vintorez Closed Bolt Mech Ion | Magfed AGD FrankenMag | M14 Mech Ion | First Strike Round Ammo Can | Feedback
Calavera357 is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Custom » Custom Projects / Custom Questions