mcarterbrown.com  

Custom Projects / Custom Questions How do I customize? What do I customize? What do I use? Share you experiences and faults here!

Old 10-11-2009, 12:23 AM   #101 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tohri View Post
Was the nova design ever patented?
Dye holds the patent on the spool valve design.

custar
custar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 12:34 AM   #102 (permalink)
65%More Bullet Per Bullet

This is more of a poppet like the invery mini, just... Macro sized.
Part time Homosexual
Tohri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 12:51 AM   #103 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poe View Post
- So someone creates the CAD files and MCB posts them for anyone to download like open source code? If not anyone, who exactly?
- Can anyone make and sell the marker/parts nilly willy or would it be under some form of contract with some organization (MCB)?
- Would this organization set prices for parts? If a person wants to do something extra (or less), would he be able to charge more? Who dictates what his time is worth and if the time quote is justified?
- Assuming a person could get the marker machined cheaper locally, could they just download the CAD files and take them to a machinist?
- If there are problems with the marker down the road and the parts were all made by different individuals, who would the person send their marker to for diagnosis and repair? Would all of the machinists be expected to take returns and work on them? What if one of the machinists is just closer to most of the customers and he gets most of the returns?
- Is the goal for a marker that has the same basic performance as everything out there today..just a little different? A design that improves upon efficiency, ball breaks, durability, cost of production, etc is money in the bank and surely no one here is expecting someone to come along and give that over for no compensation.

Just some questions.
Just my .02, but what I saw this idea as being close to was something like the 'Multimachine'. A basic design not meant for mass production, but for someone with basic machine tools to produce in a garage shop. Sorta a 'pass it around, mod it, change it, build it, we don't care' design. I'd be willing to throw my work up on MCB for whoever had a solidwork's license or a lathe to take a crack at it.
Part time Homosexual
Old 10-11-2009, 01:38 AM   #104 (permalink)
TFGPB

Quote:
Originally Posted by custar View Post
Dye holds the patent on the spool valve design.

custar
No, they don't. They have a patent for A spool valve, and it is far from being all inclusive, just incredibly useful. The most important part of the Omega/DYE patent is the tail of the bolt acting as a spooling dump chamber isolation valve. Having the chamber isolated with a poppet valve (like in a certain Ion valve system and the Desert Fox, both technically spool valves) is not covered by that patent, not sealing the chamber is not covered by that patent, having the sealing member itself not contained on the bolt but in the body somehow is, questionably, not part of that patent (which, as far as I know, is actually claimed by whoever owns the Evolve patents).
y0da900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 01:50 AM   #105 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by y0da900 View Post
No, they don't. They have a patent for A spool valve, and it is far from being all inclusive, just incredibly useful. The most important part of the Omega/DYE patent is the tail of the bolt acting as a spooling dump chamber isolation valve. Having the chamber isolated with a poppet valve (like in a certain Ion valve system and the Desert Fox, both technically spool valves) is not covered by that patent, not sealing the chamber is not covered by that patent, having the sealing member itself not contained on the bolt but in the body somehow is, questionably, not part of that patent (which, as far as I know, is actually claimed by whoever owns the Evolve patents).
Hmmmm. So you think a poppet valve not directly connected to the bolt is enough to avoid the Dye patent? If so and it is used by the Ion, someone should file for a patent so Dye doesn't try to expand their patent and SP doesn't try to claim a patent on that design.

custar
Old 10-11-2009, 02:14 AM   #106 (permalink)
TFGPB

Quote:
Originally Posted by custar View Post
Hmmmm. So you think a poppet valve not directly connected to the bolt is enough to avoid the Dye patent? If so and it is used by the Ion, someone should file for a patent so Dye doesn't try to expand their patent and SP doesn't try to claim a patent on that design.

custar
Ions don't use the system, there is an aftermarket valve system for the Ion that uses it. And you can't, or at least aren't supposed to be able to, patent something that has been in use by others. Even if it ever got granted, there is plentiful prior art and it would get shot down if ever challenged in court making it a huge waste of time and money. Not to mention unethical.

There are a number of ways around the Dye patent to achieve the same end, and just as many ways to make it unnecessary to do so.
y0da900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 03:09 PM   #107 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by y0da900 View Post
Ions don't use the system, there is an aftermarket valve system for the Ion that uses it. And you can't, or at least aren't supposed to be able to, patent something that has been in use by others. Even if it ever got granted, there is plentiful prior art and it would get shot down if ever challenged in court making it a huge waste of time and money. Not to mention unethical.

There are a number of ways around the Dye patent to achieve the same end, and just as many ways to make it unnecessary to do so.
Operative words bolded. Still, Dye doesn't seem that bent on patent lawsuits, so perhaps there wouldn't be any hitch in using the system you suggested. How much does the Ion aftermarket valve system run?

custar
Old 10-12-2009, 12:45 AM   #108 (permalink)
I am A.W.E.S.O.M.-O

if this is a truly open source marker, then it does not intrude on a DYE/OMEGA patent. Use the design, JUST DONT SELL IT. patents are public knowledge...

just my 2 cents.
G-man75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 12:49 AM   #109 (permalink)

I'd be willing to give my design files to whoever wanted to take a crack at building it. Hell, it'd be designed to use industry standard parts off other guns for feednecks, frames, ASA, and a lot of the pneumatics are just industrial parts anyways.
Part time Homosexual
Old 10-12-2009, 01:53 PM   #110 (permalink)
Cloud Cuckoolander

CCM Fan
Brass and Wood Fan
PPS Fan
RTP Fan
oooo and if you go electro open source firmware remember GNU is ur friend
Timmycuddler is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Custom » Custom Projects / Custom Questions