mcarterbrown.com  

The Dead Zone Paintball Related Chat

Closed Thread

Old 06-24-2013, 11:04 AM   #51 (permalink)
Igloo member

Drama comes and goes, Paintball had its little drama episodes in the 90's, and then in the 2000's, 2005's and all the way up.

I see this as a little tiny blimp in the map that we should not worry or care about.
Yea when you general a game you want to really make it big, tie in as many players as possible. But at the end of every day, its a game.

The interwebz have a nasty reputation of blowing up small issues.
Old 06-24-2013, 11:08 AM   #52 (permalink)
The Man With No Plan

CCM Fan
I generaled supergame 3 games ago.

part of the contract i signed when i was asked to be general was to promote the game.
i pushed it hard, it was a HUGE turnout

i did so much recruiting that i didnt have any on field plans.... ZERO.

didnt have an XO, didnt have a set walkie talkie channel schedule, i didnt plan lunch breaks or potty breaks for teams, i said everyone go out have some fun, and here is the list of objectives, see ya at fort X at time Y

guys hated the fact that i didnt have the entire event scheduled and parts of the fields for certain teams, etc

there is always drama. always.

compensation was solid, im sure dan wouldnt like me telling, but it was solid
Old 06-24-2013, 11:54 AM   #53 (permalink)
MCB Member

As a player i think i would have preferred you ran the game tight. Recruiting i think should be secondary. Theres usually too many people crammed onto a field anyway.
Aka "wagz" on the field
https://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
Old 06-24-2013, 12:03 PM   #54 (permalink)
I often play pantsless...

Send a message via AIM to aka Mich Send a message via Yahoo to aka Mich

I'll throw my $.02 in here without trying to pile on. This isn't the first time he has skirted his responsibilities and left someone else to hold up his end of the donkey.

No matter what you think about who is responsible for promoting or recruiting, a command role does entail a fair amount of work that someone has to do. If someone doesn't do it the game becomes kind of a mess, players enjoy it less, and in the end don't come back to a field or game producer. So having someone say they're going to fill that role, then not to has real world dollar implications.

As for "getting paid" to command, nobody gets a cut a check to come and general a game. Free entry and case of paint is nice but inconsequential, if you're lucky they'll put you up for the weekend so that it really does become a free weekend of play, and what player isn't all about that. The real "pay" is your reputation. Go out and do a good job and people notice, you start getting hookups at other fields and what not. Again you're not getting paid in a traditional sense but getting a discount on paint is money in your pocket compared to the rest of the poor schmucks coming and paying full price.

All in all, some people are just D-bags. I can say this as someone who has been on the receiving end of the douchebaggery that was pointed out in the article. I talked to the general that took over for MidnightAngel and had some good laughs bonding over our dealings with the asshattery. It leaves a sour taste in your mouth when it happens, and it's an attitude that should not be welcome in the sport going forward.

I'm not going to say the article was the perfect way to deliver the message, but it was still a valid message. I wish I could have gone to the game so I could give an accurate assessment of the field apart from all this nonsense. From everything I've read it's a very new field, less than a month old, trying to get off the ground and it's a shame this has clouded it. I mean nobody has mentioned yet that the XO that took over command actually won the game by 5 points. So hate on the field if you'd like, let's not give MidnightAngel a pass on this though. Some peoples 5 minutes of fame deserve to be up if they don't have the heart to earn it.
Old 06-24-2013, 12:05 PM   #55 (permalink)

And Kaz was on the field for Legends, and worked his *** off. If anyone disagrees with that then apparently I've lost my damn mind and was shooting at ghosts at Living Legends.
Old 06-24-2013, 12:25 PM   #56 (permalink)
boo
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackrain View Post
Here are the Generals:

Generals for this event:

North Vietnamese Army- CO- Akimbo Assassin! XO- !
has worked at ******* (Sales Rep, Graphic Design, Marketing, Social Media)

Sounds like someone signed someone on and forgot to tell them they were getting them onboard not for their celebrity status but in hopes of getting what they're paid to do during the day for free.

I bet when Greg Hastings is signed on as general the promoters don't expect their field to show up in the next installment of his game for free. I also expect the players don't expect him to walk them through the game every step of the way, either.

Now the "Akimbo Assassin" definitely doesn't have the same notoriety as Greg Hastings but i'm sure with most player's egos being put on a promotional poster does put them on that same level in their world.

Without knowing anything of the situation I'll just throw in my .02 like everyone else. I'm guessing tensions were already high and some negotiations that should of been worked out weeks before were being hammered out at the last minute. Since the person in question probably had a bad taste already and maybe something better had presented itself he probably said "**** this, it's just paintball, it's not a job".

Last edited by boo; 06-24-2013 at 12:33 PM.
Old 06-24-2013, 12:31 PM   #57 (permalink)
Igloo member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aka Mich View Post
And Kaz was on the field for Legends, and worked his *** off. If anyone disagrees with that then apparently I've lost my damn mind and was shooting at ghosts at Living Legends.
I remember being at the start line on sunday, Every person on the Horde who was willing to walk back on that field and continue to get our paintball ego's kicked all day worked hard.

I'v never been in a game where it felt like 50% of the players abandoned the rest of the team. It was the first time I'v ever watched maybe 100 something players spend insertion after insertion after insertion trying to push up over and over knowing the 15 guys in the bunker 20 feet back wouldnt even try to come up with them.

Kaz worked hard that game, But so did the Horde players that actually kept going on that field non-stop. We lost horribly. yes. Doomed from about halfway through Saturday. But still. worth some effort
Old 06-24-2013, 12:36 PM   #58 (permalink)

Agreed, the score was a surprise to a lot of us. I mean we knew we were doing well and winning, but it wasn't like we were just steam rolling you guys. Those that were on the field for the Horde side have my respect, it was still a good fight through Sunday.
Old 06-24-2013, 12:48 PM   #59 (permalink)
Post Whore

Send a message via AIM to Paintballer50505

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkShadowHunter View Post
I never said it wasn't fun. I am just saying scenario games are a higher level of competition than your garden variety walk-on. It is fine if all you care about is having fun. Just know who belongs where. Not all competition happens on the inflatable courses. Scenario paintball is a competition. Why bother keeping score if it isn't?

If you think everything can be puppy dogs and rainbows in at a scenario event then you are quite mistaken. Feelings may get hurt, people may get shot in the head, and you stand a good chance of getting hit a couple more times two seconds after you call out because the guy shooting at you keeps going until he hears "Hit."

Really I think scenario paintball provides an area of competition for the player(s) that have no desire to battle it out on the inflatables. Some people thrive for competition and others are fine with playing amongst their friends.

Any game that allows people to play with rental equipment is not a competition. No matter how organized a scenario is and how well points are kept the majority of those people playing are there to shoot people and have no clue as to what the score is/ what the missions are/ even who the general and staff is. If yiu want a competition that isn't speedball its called the uwl. Any game that you shoot at kids and their parents who are out with rental equipment and jeans is not something to be taken like a serious competition

Theres no me in suck but there is always u
Old 06-24-2013, 12:59 PM   #60 (permalink)
Igloo member

LOL. I remember on saturday when you guys had us pinned in our spawn, Kaz was like
"Hey Citrus, you have a skirmish in the jungle of doom in 15 minutes. Get there!"

We all standing there like

Oh well. it was fun. i enjoyed the game.,

Back to the actual topic. Generals leave when stress gets high. that happens, its sad, be hey, a good general is actually Really hard to find, and there are only a few out there.
Closed Thread

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Dead Zone