mcarterbrown.com  

The Dead Zone Paintball Related Chat

Old 02-03-2016, 11:00 PM   #1 (permalink)
Facta Non Verba

Send a message via MSN to Deuce

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
State of the First Strike.

Where are we at?
Old 02-03-2016, 11:08 PM   #2 (permalink)
Nerd

I'm curious too, thanks for the reminder. There was a presentation to ASTM, right? How'd that go?
Zombie Defense Force, Local 42 #61 "Darwin"
IT'S TIME TO TOSS THE DICE
DarwinZDF42<--YouTube channel. Subscribe! "Integrity is doing what's right, even if nobody is looking." My MCB feedback

Freshly hydro'd tanks for sale - 68/45 and 70/45
Diomedes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 10:44 AM   #3 (permalink)
Agent of Satan

Send a message via Yahoo to AngelChaser

Based on their Facebook page I'd guess it went well, I'd expect an announcement at PBE.
AngelChaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 10:59 AM   #4 (permalink)
MCBs armed pacifist

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelChaser View Post
Based on their Facebook page I'd guess it went well, I'd expect an announcement at PBE.
I would assume it went well. For all the discussion about first strike I don't think anyone doubted they would be able to gain ASTM approval once ASTM standards were updated to avoid the term "spherical" (IIRC that was the term in question).

"Use peaceful means where they are appropriate; but where they are not appropriate, do not hesitate to resort to more forceful" Thupten Gyatso (the Dalai Lama, 1932)

"It is not the will to win that matters - everyone has that. It's the will to prepare to win that matters" Coach Paul 'Bear' Bryant.

"The ink of scholars is more precious than the blood of martyrs" - Muhammed
Lohman446 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 11:04 AM   #5 (permalink)
Trails Of Doom

Big problems in my neck of the woods. We had insurance through the "other" company that used to allow FSR in their policy. And my field just reupped and were told as of 2016. By the way, no more FSR allowed... So as fields renew, this is going to be a problem at the few fields that still allowed them find out they are now banned.

They also made the "no fire" rule to be 20 feet instead of the old 10 foot rule... Which means a lot of the fields close quarters now can't be used (we have bus's and other structures where you can come around a corner and hit someone close).

It really stinks. From what I've heard there are only two main companies that insure paintball. (underwrite it, any company can sell a policy, but they go to these two companies to cover the legalities and have the actual policy).

Then you have one other entity that does paintball as well (Lloyds of London). As they are pretty much a specialty insurance group risk agency, but their policies are expensive, and most fields stay away for that reason.
FreeEnterprise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 11:23 AM   #6 (permalink)
MCB Member

Brass and Wood Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeEnterprise View Post
They also made the "no fire" rule to be 20 feet instead of the old 10 foot rule... Which means a lot of the fields close quarters now can't be used (we have bus's and other structures where you can come around a corner and hit someone close).
Twenty feet??? What the hell do they expect field owners and players to do? Most recreational fields I know of are built with this in mind. So they expect owners to redesign their smaller fields? And good luck getting players to adhere to the rule in the first place. If anything, I'd say that's a bigger crock of crap than the whole FSR business.
Old 02-04-2016, 11:50 AM   #7 (permalink)

CCM Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
Twenty feet??? What the hell do they expect field owners and players to do? Most recreational fields I know of are built with this in mind. So they expect owners to redesign their smaller fields? And good luck getting players to adhere to the rule in the first place. If anything, I'd say that's a bigger crock of crap than the whole FSR business.
I play at that field. There are parts of a couple fields (a bus, and a shed, probably a few other structures) that are off limits now. You can no longer go inside them.

If we're playing without renters, they let us do it (and they relax the 20 foot rule), but in mixed games some zones that were previously in-play are now a no-go.
PREDATOR 47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 11:52 AM   #8 (permalink)
Paroxysm

20 feet? WTF? (but this is an aside).

Good news if they get ATSM as then there will be no legal recource for insurance to ban them.
Old 02-04-2016, 11:54 AM   #9 (permalink)
MCBs armed pacifist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scougar View Post
20 feet? WTF? (but this is an aside).

Good news if they get ATSM as then there will be no legal recource for insurance to ban them.
??? Legal recourse for insurance to ban them ???

Define what legal recourse would be?? You know how many "industry standard practices" various insurance companies ban? Your contract between you and an insurance company is civil in nature. Because it is a civil contract that contract can contain nearly any provision (provided that provision does not violate the law). For instance my current insurance prohibits me from operating a motorcycle on a public street even though I am legally licensed and doing so is legal.
Lohman446 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 11:54 AM   #10 (permalink)
Paintball Ballistician :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeEnterprise View Post
Big problems in my neck of the woods. We had insurance through the "other" company that used to allow FSR in their policy. And my field just reupped and were told as of 2016. By the way, no more FSR allowed... So as fields renew, this is going to be a problem at the few fields that still allowed them find out they are now banned.

It really stinks. From what I've heard there are only two main companies that insure paintball. (underwrite it, any company can sell a policy, but they go to these two companies to cover the legalities and have the actual policy).

Then you have one other entity that does paintball as well (Lloyds of London). As they are pretty much a specialty insurance group risk agency, but their policies are expensive, and most fields stay away for that reason.
Assuming that the ASTM spec has been amended, I'm curious how the insurance industry will react. According to Cossio (with all the rhetoric ignored), insurance underwriters were concerned with the fact that it wasn't under the ASTM due to the "spherical" definition. He made a mention of what an ophthalmologist thought of the rounds but, none of that factors into the ASTM so, I wonder if the insurance underwriters weigh other information into their decisions.

I'm okay with 20ft rules if fields are striving for child friendly or 'low impact' paintball. Consenting adults shouldn't need to worry about such things...
Originally Posted by Tom Kaye -in response to FS price critics
Unfortunately all of you have played the one "speedball" game of paintball for so long you can't conceive of other ways to do this and hence any new ideas seem stupid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson Death View Post
First strike rounds punish lazy people. Don't be lazy and you won't have problems with first strikes.
uv_halo is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Dead Zone