mcarterbrown.com  

The Dead Zone Paintball Related Chat

Old 07-11-2018, 01:00 PM   #1 (permalink)
Pump It Real Good

Brass and Wood Fan
Back in my day... The Old Fart Thread

Pulling my collection out of storage, I've started feeling a bit nostalgic for days gone by. Couple that with the popular memes about things that kids today will never know, and I thought it might be fun to share some fun facts about when we, the old fart's, started playing the game.

Figured I would do mine in meme form, and would start us off with a couple that spring to mind immediately.

First, I fondly remember only wanting to shoot Cal Mag or R.P. Scherer. I can't remember which of the two made Black Beauties now, but I know that both had black shell (or at least half-black shell) varieties:

Next, who can forget when double-action came on the scene? It was obscene, that someone could pull off almost 1BPS with one of these:

Who's next?
ProtoNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 01:07 PM   #2 (permalink)
Pump It Real Good

Brass and Wood Fan
Apparently, being senile, I put this in the wrong place, too. Might a mod be so kind as to move this over to The Dead Zone, please?
Old 07-11-2018, 02:18 PM   #3 (permalink)
Long Time Lurker

How about keeping you regular, siphon and anti-siphon tanks straight and making sure you didn't put one on the wrong marker?
tagscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 06:41 PM   #4 (permalink)
Post Whore

The boxes of Cal Mags we got never came in 10 round tubes. But yes, a box of 200 balls ($20) lasted all day.
Skipdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 07:15 PM   #5 (permalink)
Pump It Real Good

Brass and Wood Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skipdogg View Post
The boxes of Cal Mags we got never came in 10 round tubes. But yes, a box of 200 balls ($20) lasted all day.
Interesting, because I was talking about this with one of my friends recently, and we were certain that we never got them that way when we ordered them from Skanline or I&I, but the local Army Navy store had them that way, as did a few of the fields that we frequented. Quite possible that they were done at the fields and stores as an incentive to buy, too. Would love to find out definitively, as I am (mostly) certain that I am not completely crazy yet.
Old 07-11-2018, 07:53 PM   #6 (permalink)

I remember when I first started in paintball cockers and mags were “the next best thing”. And sure as hell they were right. I still have a mag
d2thearkangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 10:50 PM   #7 (permalink)
Pump It Real Good

Brass and Wood Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by d2thearkangel View Post
I remember when I first started in paintball cockers and mags were “the next best thing”. And sure as hell they were right. I still have a mag
It's funny because I had always wanted a Mag and never had one. Drooled over them and every accessory in each month's APG. Finally, bought one right before my hiatus a couple of years ago and never even tried airing it up. However, coming out of my retirement, it was the first thing out of the gearbag.
Old 07-11-2018, 11:07 PM   #8 (permalink)
Thunder bum bum

CCM Fan
Kilt Club
I don't know what we're classifying as old given the demographic around here but the first things that come to mind for me are:

I also miss RPS
Vertical feed was a newfangled thing
Phantoms were the fanciest pump gun available
Revvies were the only option for hoppers
JonnyDread is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 11:25 PM   #9 (permalink)
MCB Member

Back in my day gravity feed didn't exist...
Third of Five is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 11:27 PM   #10 (permalink)

Same. I remember drooling over a properly tuned rt and it NOT chopping. Then seeing someone’s face as it started blending all the paint!!!!
And same here Johnny,RPS premium, marblizer and premium gold were the best thing ever and the only guns to have vertical feed were the fanciest newest electro guns out there and phantoms....well you never wanted to play against that guy with a phantom. He was so good al he needed was one shot. Lol I wish they still made revvies as durable as they did used too.
d2thearkangel is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Dead Zone