mcarterbrown.com  

The Dead Zone Paintball Related Chat

Old 09-23-2018, 03:21 AM   #1 (permalink)
One case, still no kills

Using a mech for tournaments... why not???

So Iíve had this discussion with a few of my friends who are still active in the tournament scene. One day as a joke I told one of them that Iíd come back to the tourney scene so long as the team would be fine with me shooting a mech cocker. I had no idea the debate this would stir up. Considering one of the guys I talk to started tournaments when co2 was still the norm, I was surprised at his complete opposition to the idea.

So I did do a google search for it and found a couple threads from years ago that talked about it, but I want to put out the question now. Why not? Considering thereís a 10.5 bps cap, i can imagine that if somebody trains with a mech to deal with the ďlimitationsĒ a mechanical trigger brings to the table, that they can be close to the same rof. I understand that there might be other issues like with flinching and movement of the gun stemming from the extra force used to pull the trigger back, but tonme thatís what training is for.

Basically, my argument to them was that I believe that a properly tuned cocker thatís well maintained, with a person who has properly trained with it, can be just as devastating as somebody with an electro. Am I wrong? I feel liked Iím outgunned (no pun intended) by everyone I know. I understand that if the rules changed back to a higher rof, there would would definitely be a bigger gap between the ability of the markers, but as all the rules and everything stands right now, I believe that a mech could possibly be on par with other electros.

Everyoneís thoughts on this?
quadpod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 03:41 AM   #2 (permalink)

with the cap the gap between electros and mechs has really dropped. With my bps express that ive been tinkering on and finally gotten to my exact preference ive been pulled for ramping (the trigger is fairly soft so i do have a tendency to slide up in rof)
I see only one issue and its a big one..fatigue. as the games pile up you will get slower faster then a electro user..but thats the only flaw i can see
saintnoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 03:49 AM   #3 (permalink)
Blegh

You aren't getting near 8 BPS on even the best-tuned cockers, let alone 10. You simply cannot control lanes without a high rate of fire, it's too easy to run thru a lane of anything less than 10 BPS. And modern tournament play is all about field control. Not only that, but you're at a disadvantage in gun fights against players with electros. If you're in a gun fight, you're using a cocker that will probably be shooting somewhere in the 5-7 BPS range, vs someone shooting 10.5, they have near double the chance of hitting you. Don't pretend like you're going to get by being accurate, tournament players are accurate shooters too.

There's a reason why electros are capped in the mech divisions to 5.5 BPS. It's because you're not going to shoot much, if at all, faster than that on a mech. So yeah, you are putting yourself at a massive disadvantage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad Thompson View Post
Who is this Chad Thompson you all are talking about?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Wood View Post
ooh look at that over there!!! Jeremy Salm riding a giant rainbow-coloured unicorn!!
Virtus Et Peritia
magmoormaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 04:47 AM   #4 (permalink)
One case, still no kills

Mag. I was never under the illusion that a person could substitute precision over speed. In fact, i even mentioned the fact that with mech, there’s a greater chance of jerking the marker due to having to use more muscle to pull back a mech trigger than on an electro, thus causing flinching or other undesirable muscle tweaks. My only thought was to train in order to minimize that. I do play 70% of the time with tournament players, and I do realize how accurate they are.

I was more or less asking if a mech, mainly cocker, could keep up or get close to what and electro could. I don’t have too much experience with them since I play mostly electro, while playing stock class when I get the chance to play with a group of friends that play pump (about that 70/30 split, maybe a little more on the stock class side). So I apologize for my lack of knowledge when it comes to mechanical markers.

Last edited by quadpod; 09-23-2018 at 05:01 AM.
Old 09-23-2018, 05:49 AM   #5 (permalink)
Blegh

Yeah I didn't mean to sound as condescending as I did there.

The "don't pretend that you'll make up for it with accuracy" part was trying to stymie what I predicted would be your retort. The main point I was trying to make is that no matter what others try to say, the ROF on mechanical guns won't ever reach the 10.5 BPS cap.

I say all this as someone who shoots cockers religiously. I've converted a large portion of my team to shoot them. They're way more fun to play with, but in terms of viability as a competition gun, they get outclassed. Not just ROF, either; weight, size, ergonomics, etc, are all miles behind the modern stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad Thompson View Post
Who is this Chad Thompson you all are talking about?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Wood View Post
ooh look at that over there!!! Jeremy Salm riding a giant rainbow-coloured unicorn!!
Virtus Et Peritia
magmoormaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 06:53 AM   #6 (permalink)
One case, still no kills

No worries. Yeah, I had no idea what the physical/mechanical limitations were. When I first looked up old threads about rof for cockers, I saw some people saying they could get upwards close to 10 bps. However, every 12 year old showing off their cocker on YouTube seemed to contradict that. So, I figured ask in here where people actually know a thing or two! Lol

The whole subject came about for me with that friend (who remembers playing tournaments with co2) asked me to come play the nxl on a team that he wants to set up for the ‘19 season. After I told him multiple times that I don’t have a desire to play tournaments again, I finally said I would if he let me use a cocker. Needless to say he didn’t like it, and the debate ensued (though he did agree to it). But it got me thinking if you could. I think I’ll concede this debate to him. Thankfully it doesn’t happen a lot. Hahahahaha!

I’ve only begun to dabble in the mech side of paintball. I’m pretty new to it. And I’ve absolutely fallen in love with cockers!

Last edited by quadpod; 09-23-2018 at 06:59 AM.
Old 09-23-2018, 08:15 AM   #7 (permalink)
TOTAL GREIF

CCM Fan
Brass and Wood Fan
PPS Fan
Maggie moo, have you seen the videos of those meteor cockers and shocker CVO’s shooting? People tend to get them shooting insanely fast for a mech gun (not including auto mags).

I’ve played tournaments with my team and a majority of us were using mech guns or even pump guns. It all comes down to skill if we’re talking for fun. If you mean an actual tournament, I would go with the lightest thing on the market (I mean where money is on the line).

Last edited by Zepulkinator; 10-07-2018 at 10:40 AM.
Zepulkinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 09:02 AM   #8 (permalink)
MCB Member

I think it comes down to could vs would.
Could you use a mech cocker and keep up? Sure. I used a hinge framed Evo during a practice for one of our regional tournaments, msxl. Not once did I feel outgunned or anything like that. We were practicing against d3 and d4 teams.
Would I use it in an actual tournament? No. (Unless it was in the finals, we were on the webcast, and we were up 3-0 on points). I would prefer to use something more reliable, smaller and lighter. Just easier to not think about small things that could happen, like a cocking rod coming unscrewed or short stroking it.
Old 09-23-2018, 10:30 AM   #9 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

BPS aside,

Eyes. Chopping paint is the worst thing possible in tournament conditions. Even with mechanical countermeasures, breaking paint is more likely to happen without eyes. The entire photo eye system and delay times are the best insurance against breaking paint.
imped4now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 11:06 AM   #10 (permalink)
MCB Member

I've heard rumors of guys shooting mech at 10 bps and above, no idea if it was with a cocker or something else. Assuming the stories are true there is no way somebody can keep that up for very long. Add in the risk of breaking paint and the real issue is that you just don't get consistent performance. On a similar note wasn't there a team of only pump players that won an elctro division five or so years ago? The dirtbags is what I think they were called. It may have been UWL which is a different beast altogether.
somethingbenign is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Dead Zone