mcarterbrown.com  

The Dead Zone Paintball Related Chat

Old 12-11-2018, 11:30 PM   #31 (permalink)
Touches self, frequently.

PPS Fan
CCI Phantom Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocsMachine View Post
-Wait... you want to hook up a tank of 6,000 psi nitrogen... though a pressure regulator to drop it down to sub-120 psi... so you can feed that into a compressor.... in order to get... 4500 psi...?

I might be missing something here, but couldn't you... you know... use the 6K psi, regulated down to maybe 4,500, right out of the tank?
That one confused me too, but I think I may have figured out why they would do that.

So you start with a 6,000 PSI bulk tank, and at this point it'd be stupid to not just do as you said, regulate it to 4,500 PSI or 3,000 PSI and fill tanks with it. However once you reach 4,500/3,000 you'll never be able to fill tanks to higher than the pressure in the bulk tank. So if it's important for you to have your tank always filled to 4,500/3,000, one way I can think of to do this with a bulk tank that it below that, is to do what he's talking about. Regulate the bulk tank till it's low enough to be compatible with the Shoebox, and the use the Shoebox to fill your tanks to your desired 4,500/3,000 PSI.

I honestly can't see any reason to do this, but there is likely a use case I am unaware of. I'd think a quick ~10 second fill to say 2,000 PSI verses a 1+ hour fill to 4,500/3,000 would be preferred by most people, but again, I'm likely missing something.
William the Third is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 01:30 PM   #32 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by William the Third View Post
That one confused me too, but I think I may have figured out why they would do that.

So you start with a 6,000 PSI bulk tank, and at this point it'd be stupid to not just do as you said, regulate it to 4,500 PSI or 3,000 PSI and fill tanks with it. However once you reach 4,500/3,000 you'll never be able to fill tanks to higher than the pressure in the bulk tank. So if it's important for you to have your tank always filled to 4,500/3,000, one way I can think of to do this with a bulk tank that it below that, is to do what he's talking about. Regulate the bulk tank till it's low enough to be compatible with the Shoebox, and the use the Shoebox to fill your tanks to your desired 4,500/3,000 PSI.

I honestly can't see any reason to do this, but there is likely a use case I am unaware of. I'd think a quick ~10 second fill to say 2,000 PSI verses a 1+ hour fill to 4,500/3,000 would be preferred by most people, but again, I'm likely missing something.
Yes, sorry for the confusion on that, didn't explain it well enough. This particular set up would be good for getting that last 1K-1.5K out of your bulk Nitrogen tank after direct filling/topping off. So now, in this case, you'd be dropping around $400 just to get that last bit out of the tank...not very cost effective, which is why we went with a Shoebox.

As an example of why someone may do this, we typically fill all of our tanks, HPA and CO2, in the garage. Our field is quite a ways out of town, with about a 2 mile drive down an old, bumpy logging road, and lugging a bulk nitrogen tank and a bulk CO2 tank along to re-fill on site is not really a good option.

Anyways, sorry to derail your thread Doc. I poorly attempted to explain the another way to avoid moisture issues and forgot key parts of the explanation.
belleville is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Dead Zone