mcarterbrown.com  

The Dead Zone Paintball Related Chat

Old 02-10-2019, 09:39 PM   #1 (permalink)

Paintball e-celebs

Whats your opinion on the e-celeb paintball players or rather some have been branded "parking lot warriors." in paintball?
I've seen a few big games/scenarios where the field will advertise that so and so is coming to the game, does that make it more appealing to you?
Pump Gun Enthusiast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 10:07 PM   #2 (permalink)
giant robot

Who is there anyway?

Off the top of my head there's wolf, alabasterslim, hiddenhedgehog, um... Aztek?

There are others like Mr H and various pro players like Marcello or Ryan, but they're not strictly e-celebs the way the others are.

None of them stream paintball live to twitch, so they barely count ;p
vijil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 10:16 PM   #3 (permalink)
Super Legit

Wait, we are not all e-celebs?

I thought that's what this site was for!

I feel jipped!

Other celebs,

Mike, tech pb

I would be excited to meet cocker punk, or doc in person

^^^ If you are new to the sport and need help finding gear, click here!!!^^^

feedback: https://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
Trbo323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 10:29 PM   #4 (permalink)
Plays on the cheap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pump Gun Enthusiast View Post
I've seen a few big games/scenarios where the field will advertise that so and so is coming to the game, does that make it more appealing to you?
No. I'd be more excited to meet more MCB users. Pb doesn't seem to have the media presence to make names recognizable to anyone aside from the hardcore tourney players.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trbo323 View Post
I would be excited to meet cocker punk, or doc in person
Met cockerpunk once. OK guy, but seemed more into playing than BSing that day. I'd love to meet Doc.
Old 02-10-2019, 10:53 PM   #5 (permalink)
Midget Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to cfos00

I've played with/against most named here, and I will say that some will get their hands dirty, and others I have found to be either in the parking lot or leading from the rear a whole lot more than I ever would have expected. Greg Hastings will get in there and mix it up. I've seen it more than once. SEVERAL others spend more time in the parking lot than some of the dogs that people bring to games.

I've had one general a big game before and couldn't have been more disappointed on how things went. First, the person showed up late. I was running late on getting set up, and went out onto the field to where the team was supposed to be (literally was going to spawn as the game was starting, roughly a minute late). Once I got there, I was incredibly confused, since there were literally two of the 50 or so of us that were supposed to be there. Turns out, since they were late, they pulled our whole freaking team off so that they could all go out together----almost an hour after the game was supposed to kick off. While that's all well and good, in the meantime, we lost all the ground outside of our spawn, so we spent the entire day trying to get out of our spawn while getting shot at as soon as we walked out, and were 40 yards from any decent cover. Because of that, half the team that was supposed to be there disappeared by midday, and I spent almost the entire day with a crew of 8 or 10 of us trying to break out, going against two teams of 75 with the main conflict happening at our spawn. After the game, I kept hearing reports of how great the game was, and how our e-celeb was getting 'headshots left and right.' I can tell you with 100% certainty that absolutely did not happen. They were barely on the field, and when they were, they sure as @#$% were not doing any actual damage. It was a two day game, and I had two different times where they pulled our team off the field for around an hour for no apparent reason other than to hang out in the parking lot. Both times, it absolutely screwed us. It was to the point that I met up with Flounder and several other MCBers and played with them. They were not on my team, but since my team was nowhere to be found, I HAD to if I wanted to do any actual shootyball. After the event was over, I just kept hearing how great everything went. The only person that I saw that had what I felt was an accurate representation of our side was Dangerman, and it wasn't exactly kind or an endorsement. Everything else was just promoting next year's event. It wasn't, at all, accurate to how the event played, and I get that. Trying to get more people there and all. But the after-coverage was straight up lying. And yeah, being vague here bc I do want the event to succeed, but that was beyond ridiculous.

In several other cases I've seen, including with some of the people named above, I have seen a lot of 'rah rah' stuff that makes the video...then the player disappear. One that was mentioned was Wolf. He definitely did the 'rah rah' stuff, but then really kinda went on his own to crawl through the brush, find a spot, and try to do damage. While I do think the 'rah rah' stuff was for a video, his playing style didn't really seem like that. He played more like a 'lone wolf' there (sorry, couldn't think of a better way to put it). And there's nothing wrong with that if it's his style of play. It may have just been that event too. I think I've seen him at all of two events, so hard to judge off that, but if that's how he wants to play, that's absolutely fine.

There are a few more stories that I can't exactly break out bc I was told in confidence and I also know that I'm going to run into them at events and don't want it to be weird, but I will say this. Do not believe a lot of what you see on videos with some of them. There's a lot that's staged. I would say that you also really shouldn't be in awe of many. They're just players, and some better than others.

Here's the other thing---does it actually matter? If young players look up to them, get more into the game, and want to get better because of those videos, is that actually a bad thing? If those get you more involved----great. But after a while I would recommend killing your heroes, and just realizing they're just people and you can be as good or better than them. And in our game/sport, you can do just that---send them to the deadbox.
cfos00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 10:54 PM   #6 (permalink)
Trekkie

Wolf's den. That rap4 guy... nightmare?
My youtube

Feedback 0+/0-

I talk too much. Forgive me.

If you are a kid and like to talk to people of pb this is the discord for you: https://discord.gg/3epPBJ
mlzplayer111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 12:23 AM   #7 (permalink)
giant robot

doh, delete me

Last edited by vijil; 02-11-2019 at 12:31 AM.
Old 02-11-2019, 12:30 AM   #8 (permalink)
giant robot

Hastings played pro with xsv, so it makes sense that he can actually ball. But he's not that much of an eceleb. He doesn't make videos much, or stream, or post that much. The rest...

I'm in marketing. Nothing pisses me off more than dishonest marketing. Staging shots and passing them off as real is lying. Event organisers saying x and y was awesome when it sucks, is lying.

It's like the compulsive wipers ended up in charge.

Last edited by vijil; 02-11-2019 at 12:35 AM.
Old 02-11-2019, 12:50 AM   #9 (permalink)
Trekkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vijil View Post
Hastings played pro with xsv, so it makes sense that he can actually ball. But he's not that much of an eceleb. He doesn't make videos much, or stream, or post that much. The rest...

I'm in marketing. Nothing pisses me off more than dishonest marketing. Staging shots and passing them off as real is lying. Event organisers saying x and y was awesome when it sucks, is lying.

It's like the compulsive wipers ended up in charge.
Well then, you'll hate hidden hedgehog! Unlike his friend Barker he stages shots, not realistic but it somehow pisses me off and does not shy away from using click bait. And the worst part is that new players idolize these people and that would be fine if it did justice to the community and sport, but it doesn't
My youtube

Feedback 0+/0-

I talk too much. Forgive me.

If you are a kid and like to talk to people of pb this is the discord for you: https://discord.gg/3epPBJ
mlzplayer111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 08:22 AM   #10 (permalink)
Chuck E Ducky

CCM Fan
Brass and Wood Fan
I never played an event because a “Paintball Celebrity” is going to be there. There are people in the game I would love to meet but none of them revolve around or have anything to do with what events I play. Same goes for certain writers of scenarios they don’t make the game.

There are a few players that post up some really fun videos I would love to play with or against but I don’t consider them Paintball E Celebrities just really good ballers that can edit and get great footage.

With that being said there are a few E Celebrities I respect for other reasons and they have nothing to do with there YouTube follower count. I did enjoy shooting Hastings and Wolf out funny how it never made there video on YouTube.

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Dead Zone