mcarterbrown.com  

The Dead Zone Paintball Related Chat

Old 02-22-2019, 09:10 AM   #1 (permalink)
Jack Wagon!

The State of Nelson Pumps/Stock Class

Been thinking about this a lot with the news that CCI is closing up shop. I could never get a feel for the Phantom, but I recognize the important role Mike and his markers played in keeping the stock class and Nelson-based pump game alive when no one else was willing to do it.

With the only new pumpers on the market being open class Sheridan/Sniper style markers, the future of stock class and the Nelson platform looks a little questionable.

How's everyone feeling at the moment?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Be4life182 View Post
ill gats pwn nubs n give mE pwners?
d4rksabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 09:12 AM   #2 (permalink)
Intermidiate

When was this announced?
BLINDMAN Pb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 09:15 AM   #3 (permalink)
Voted most ball-fondliest

ICD looks like it has some PRPs left. SAR12 and the new FirstStrike bolt action are nelsons... Can't think of any others. Definitely a huge loss.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skibbo View Post
I like that you quoted text that says "don't quote me"
My feedback: MCB / eBay
freedummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 09:15 AM   #4 (permalink)
Walking without rhythm

CCM Fan
Brass and Wood Fan
PPS Fan
Leaves the door open to a new player.

If it came stock with an under cocking kit that would be a massive help in converting OC players to SC.
Stilgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 09:16 AM   #5 (permalink)
Angel / WDP

Will anybody take on CCI's role? Is anyone willing to continue support for the Phantom? I imagine prices will skyrocket soon after closure? Or at least increase
JHungerford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 09:16 AM   #6 (permalink)
MCB Member

There will always be Nelson based pumps out there, there are so many cheap used ones and parts out there to keep old markers going. With that being said I need to order some CCI parts just in case.
ilivlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 09:17 AM   #7 (permalink)
THE Green Modster

Send a message via MSN to Greenmtnphantom

Fan of EMR
There is a lot of parts out there to keep it going for a long time. When those parts get hard to find someone will try to make money making them.

It will be pretty stagnant for a while but honestly it already has been.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drum View Post
Someone ban that painthappy dude
Stock class = https://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/...ml#post2063667

Master Jar Jar
Greenmtnphantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 09:59 AM   #8 (permalink)
MCB Member

I have been debating about doing my own thing..... Just looking for the time to actually finish roughing out some designs and put my thoughts down.
paintzapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 10:20 AM   #9 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilivlife View Post
There will always be Nelson based pumps out there, there are so many cheap used ones and parts out there to keep old markers going....
I can not agree more. There are a huge amount of Nelson based paintguns out there (that goes for Phantom too in particular). There is a reason Mike has been the only game in town for a few years, because of the glut of nelsons out there the supply far exceeds true demand. I've been working on my modern interpretation of a LAPCO Gray Spirit now for several years that I need to finish up. I literally took old school LAPCO markers and parts and have modified [with hindsight] this stuff into what I consider the best of old school and lessons learned from playing for decades. I just need to get off my lazy *** and get my parts cerakoted and finally assembly done (already works and has been played a few times). This is exactly what Pump/Stock players will do after Mike closes shop.

We always here about the "high end" nelson based markers but there are a lot of mid ranged markers that can easily and cheaply be modified to be great performers. While I wish CCI could stay around and keep making new stuff for us it would be unfair to expect that from Mike.

"Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud." -Sophocles

My Pyre #PY008 RF Oak Grendel's Feedback on MCB Pyre Serial Number List
Grendel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 10:31 AM   #10 (permalink)
MCB Member

Brass and Wood Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grendel View Post
I can not agree more. There are a huge amount of Nelson based paintguns out there (that goes for Phantom too in particular). There is a reason Mike has been the only game in town for a few years, because of the glut of nelsons out there the supply far exceeds true demand. I've been working on my modern interpretation of a LAPCO Gray Spirit now for several years that I need to finish up. I literally took old school LAPCO markers and parts and have modified [with hindsight] this stuff into what I consider the best of old school and lessons learned from playing for decades. I just need to get off my lazy *** and get my parts cerakoted and finally assembly done (already works and has been played a few times). This is exactly what Pump/Stock players will do after Mike closes shop.

We always here about the "high end" nelson based markers but there are a lot of mid ranged markers that can easily and cheaply be modified to be great performers. While I wish CCI could stay around and keep making new stuff for us it would be unfair to expect that from Mike.
Agreed. Mike would be the first one to tell you that sales of new guns has dropped off dramatically. When you consider that CCI has been pumping out Phantoms (no pun intended) for more than thirty years, that's a lot of guns for not a lot of stock class players. Phantoms will still be available through 3rd party online retailers and through BST listings for many years to come. I'd wager that in ten years, anyone who wants a Phantom would still have no trouble finding one in working condition.

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Dead Zone