mcarterbrown.com  

The Dead Zone Paintball Related Chat

Old 01-08-2020, 10:28 PM   #1 (permalink)
MCB Member

CCI Phantom Fan
Daydreaming about making my own magfed pump, thoughts?

So... I have been toying with the idea of designing my own Nelson based magfed pump. Why? Are you new to this forum or something? Cus why not!!

I had the Hammer 7 a while ago and while it was a decent pump it was lacking in several areas and sloppy in others. I really like the Phantom but want a "more reliable" magfed pump setup that feeds nicely, shoots smoothly, and allows for FSR all day long while still being light weight and pump like (could do bolt action who knows).

Now I may never get around to making one, but maybe someone else will run across the thread and get some good ideas from actual people. I know a magfed pump is super niche, has a small market, blah blah blah. Still want something cool ya know?

I want to know a few things from you, my fellow players and MCB loons. Keep in mind, this will not just be for you or me but the masses. I want to know the best options for a rando picking it up for the first time and running with it. You guys and gals hear stuff on the field all the time and I want to know about it.

- 12 Gram or Constant Air? (keep in mind efficiency and long term shot to shot consistency).

- Phantom threads or Autococker threads? (it's all about the options, think modular).

- What mags? (I hate the Spyder/Kingman mags. Must feed both roundball and FSR reliably).

- ASA on the bottom of the grip or back bottle (with tank in stock option).

- Pump handle or bolt action? (maybe interchangeable? Not doing lever action, pester Doc if you want that one)

- Similar maintenance features to the Gargoyle? (easy breach clean, valve disassembly, ect)

- Hopper integration? (I personally vote no)

- Other cool stuff?

Keep in mind, this is research oriented. No one is wrong, everyone is right. I want to know thoughts, debate all you want but if someone ends up making it they will have the final say on what they make.

Side note, if you actually make one let me know so I can stop thinking about it
paintzapper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 11:07 PM   #2 (permalink)
(sort of a) Newbie

I love it! I have personally been looking for some kind of magfed pump lately to break into. I really like the idea behind the pumps over at ADN using autococker components but what is holding me back is what kind of magazine I'd like to see used. Using the nelson valve design is a good idea though because of the simplicity behind it. As for what you mentioned above, these are my thoughts:

-Constant air
-Autococker threads
-Dye DAM mags
-ASA at the bottom of the grip
-Pump handle
-Yes on the Gargoyle features (based on what you have listed, I have limited knowledge on the platform)
-No hopper integration

I personally like CA over 12 grams but if it would be possible, the ability to use both in some way would be neat. Autococker threading would open up a lot more options for barrel choices, especially when looking at rifled barrels for shooting first strikes. As for mag, the DAM mags seemed to function well at a good price point. I always found that air run through the bottom of the grip was the most comfortable to play with too.

Good luck with your idea though! I am excited to see where this goes!
ledheplin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 11:20 PM   #3 (permalink)
VP Ragnastock

CCI Phantom Fan
Well I dig this idea. I am a huge fan of the adapter I have from you on my Phantom.
My desires for what it’s worth.
Zeta mags a must
Autococker threads
Constant Air
Vendetta style pump
Asa bottom of the grip
Maybe an older style right feed body that could be machined to have the mag side mounted like a SMG60. Sterlings are super easy to field strip and clean.
Old 01-08-2020, 11:54 PM   #4 (permalink)
Trekkie

Would it be >200?

Also get autococker threads

That being said, if you call yourself out on a bounce shot (knowing it was skill that hit you and "luck" that saved you) , you may qualify for sainthood
-Mithuna

https://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/...-feedback.html
mlzplayer111 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 12:31 AM   #5 (permalink)
MCB Member

CCI Phantom Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlzplayer111 View Post
Would it be >200?
Unknown, but highly unlikely. Even Phantoms new are $300+ for a base version. Injection molded GRN is an option is expensive to get the mold for and is only worth while in large runs.

Regular 3D printing is out but grn SLS or MJF is an option for some parts. I plan on using Phantom internals for common parta cross compatibility and easy replcements.
Old 01-09-2020, 02:07 AM   #6 (permalink)
I wear the big hat

Quote:
Originally Posted by paintzapper View Post
Keep in mind, this will not just be for you or me but the masses. I want to know the best options for a rando picking it up for the first time and running with it.
I've only played magfed a time or two years ago with a TPX and I've never shot FS rounds, so here's what I'd want as a new potential magfed player.

-Constant air. One could always throw on a 12g changer.
-Cocker threads. Why not go with the most popular barrel thread? Widest range of options & people already have cocker barrels. Keeps consumer cost down 'cause not everyone has Phantom barrels.
-No clue on mags... No experience to say anything of import.
-Backbottle, but with holes on the bottom of the trig frame (or an adapter) so one could rig up a bottomline. That way it covers all bases: 12g changer, bottle-in-stock or bottomline. I like changing my Phantom setup from time to time, so this would be nice.
-I feel like a pump action would be more rando/newbie friendly.
-Not sure how Gargs work, but anything to make cleaning & maintenance easier.
-Magfed only. Hopper integration would be cool, but if this is going to be designed primarily for magfed and FS rounds then go magfed only. Only add hopper capabilities if it won't sacrifice anything from anywhere else.

The only other thing I can think of is the pump stroke. I know it'd be a Nelson, but try to make that as smooth as possible. I'm still trying to get used to the stiff pump stroke in my Phantom, even with the Aggroman pump shim.

Last edited by glaman5266; 01-09-2020 at 02:12 AM.
glaman5266 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 02:13 AM   #7 (permalink)
Trekkie

Maybe even not using a phantom and go more trracer route.

Of course pmi doesn't exist so it would be harder but cheaper

That being said, if you call yourself out on a bounce shot (knowing it was skill that hit you and "luck" that saved you) , you may qualify for sainthood
-Mithuna

https://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/...-feedback.html
mlzplayer111 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 05:28 AM   #8 (permalink)
here 4 the memes

Autococker threads
Mags: if you want pistol sized do Tipx, if you want rifle size the best on the market are First Strike or Dam and both have size options.
I'd prefer constant air on a bottom line but if you do back bottle you can add an asa to the grip to make it bottom line.
Old 01-09-2020, 08:48 AM   #9 (permalink)
Anything Mech

What aesthetic would you be going for?
I'd be sad if it was anything less than polished metal and wood stocked.

Also as much as I hate cocker threading, it's probably the way to go, pretty much anything barrelwise comes with a cocker threaded option these days
Rdav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 09:54 AM   #10 (permalink)
MCB Member

CCI Phantom Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdav View Post
What aesthetic would you be going for?
I'd be sad if it was anything less than polished metal and wood stocked.
My thought was as much metal as possible. Maybe Delrin pump, stock and grip type left for final config on user end

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Dead Zone