mcarterbrown.com  

Old 11-05-2010, 01:06 PM   #1 (permalink)
Official LL5 Dolphin-Dive

Send a message via AIM to PistolRogue

The Slab-Sided DRV Shroud Concept

Ok, so cruising for revolvers I'd like to emulate with my DRV, I came upon this

I think it could be done as the rail/slabside barrel look can be combined as a barrel shroud/top strap, giving something to mount sights to AND, a retention method for the cylinder pin...

So here's how I think we could apply it to the DRV (many apologies to the people whose photos I ganked for my concept "art" lol):

Here you can see that by milling a channel just long enough, it can be used to retain the cylinder pin. I was also thinking of possibly boring through it into the springfeed for a re-tread on the "top loading mods" for the Zeuses. It would need some other mods to work, like Smiley's guide-rod for instance, but I think it could be done.

Since the springfeed is offset from the barrel due to the 5 round cylinder, the slab would have to be channeled to clear it. I'm picturing this done really tightly so it almost looks like the feed is part of the slab and only a semi-circle of it sticks out when looking from the front.

My only thing is that I'm not a machinist. I might have access to a mill and a lathe, and sort of know how to set them up, but I wouldn't even know where to start with something like this. I was thinking of starting with a block of black Nylon 6/6 from McMaster, to minimize wait and eliminate the need to paint it. Of course it could also be done in aluminum for those getting their DRV's anno'd different colors. I'd rather do it myself but I'm really not sure how. I know for sure I don't have any drill bits in the shop that are long enough nor thick enough for a 1" hole that's 6-10 inches long (depending on barrel selection).

Anybody got a take on how to do this as easily/inexpensively as possible?
FEEDBACK
PistolRogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 01:45 PM   #2 (permalink)
Boom. Yummy

Brass and Wood Fan
Kilt Club
I think it would be pretty bad ***, but might I suggest designing it so it repalces the lower spring feed tube entirely?
dundadun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 01:49 PM   #3 (permalink)
All Hail Harb!

Send a message via AIM to Crimson Death

CCM Fan
Brass and Wood Fan
I like that idea Jay. It'll hide the barrel and springfeed, eliminating the need to find a barrel that looks nice. Once I get back from Texas I'll have to see if the person I have in mind can do it.
Crimson Death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 01:56 PM   #4 (permalink)
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻)

CCM Fan
PPS Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson Death View Post
I like that idea Jay. It'll hide the barrel and springfeed, eliminating the need to find a barrel that looks nice. Once I get back from Texas I'll have to see if the person I have in mind can do it.
good call man! that would look SICK
Droop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 02:21 PM   #5 (permalink)
Official LL5 Dolphin-Dive

Send a message via AIM to PistolRogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by dundadun View Post
I think it would be pretty bad ***, but might I suggest designing it so it repalces the lower spring feed tube entirely?
That would be cool but brings in a new level of complexity to machining it, also requires a larger block of material to start with. With the way I'm thinking, the only modification to the DRV itself would be drilling and tapping for a screw or two on top of the body to mount it. Might actually get away with changing out the valve retention setscrew for a properly sized bolt and not need to do any drilling to the DRV at all, now that I think about it...
FEEDBACK
PistolRogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 05:40 PM   #6 (permalink)
MCB Member

looks sweet on mine! lol I would be up for one.
my feedback
https://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 06:19 PM   #7 (permalink)
Boom. Yummy

Brass and Wood Fan
Kilt Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ITSPB-Rogue View Post
That would be cool but brings in a new level of complexity to machining it, also requires a larger block of material to start with.
that's if it slid "into" the feedtube hole, do you think it could feed fine without sliding into that hole and used the same plunger? If it didn't slid into the hole, and could use an extended valve bolt to secure it like you said, it could be simpler to make. A lot of 'if's' though.

I'm trying to think of other ways to have the feedtube reload as well, but can't think of anything yet.
Old 11-05-2010, 07:50 PM   #8 (permalink)

if you outright replaced the feed tube with the shroud i see two functional benefits; 1. possibly a stronger mount/connection and 2. you could possibly add a feed gate similar to the DSG... based on your sketches you might be able to even add space for 1 or 2 additional shots on first feed.

the appearance would make it that much more intimidating, almost Trigun-esk

Biting, playing dead and sarcasm are a few of the skills that i offer free of charge.
dead possum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 08:43 PM   #9 (permalink)
more gooder

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
I would skip shrouding the feed and just replace it. You already have to drilla great big long bugger of a hole, you might as well just drill it the right size and make it the tube.

You might as well just go trigun, just put in two feeds, they will line up you know.

I think I figured out how to get rid of the cylinder pin altogether. I had a mad thought the other night. Needs experimention along with the other 37 things i have to test out, and the parts I need to complete. Its a never ending story.
dukie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 08:49 PM   #10 (permalink)
Boom. Yummy

Brass and Wood Fan
Kilt Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dukie View Post
just put in two feeds, they will line up you know.

I think I figured out how to get rid of the cylinder pin altogether.
oooh, and also ooooooooooh!

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » Dukie