mcarterbrown.com  

First Strike Everything first strike related

Old 02-07-2020, 02:17 PM   #1 (permalink)
Zombie Bait

Brass and Wood Fan
CCI Phantom Fan
FSR Storage: Long Term Solution

One of the best things about FSR is they don't warp and dimple or otherwise degrade over time, which means you can actually store them long term. If you are someone like me who doesn't get out to play very often - or plays a lot of rogueball and unsanctioned pop up games - then you've probably noticed that storing Firsties all haphazard in a box just doesn't cut it in the long run. There's nothing worse than unloading an entire mag of FSR just to watch them fly worse than 20 year old frozen bargain paint.

Well, after one very bad experience (read above) I decided there had to be a better way to store these things for use at a later date. I was already using 10-rnd tubes to store any of the Firsties I size up and just needed a way to keep them upright. Well, with a .50CAL surplus ammo can to hold them and some cardboard to keep them upright, I was able to make a pretty solid means of storing them nose-down long term. This is my current setup of the can. Each tube holes 13 FSRs and I've got slots for 28 tubes for a total of 1,274 Firsties. There's also tons of space under the cardboard to slip in 12 grams, smaller First Strike tubes, other bits, etc...

Since I originally shared this idea on Facelurk a few years back others have told me they did something similar with ammo cans and test tube holders to fit even more tubes. But if you need something stupid cheap, this cardboard setup is MORE than enough to last for years, and you can set it up for whatever capacity you need.

Just thought I'd finally share the idea here since MCB is such a better way to record ideas long term. Hope this inspires a few people who ran into the same problem I did. Thanks!

EDIT: Some pro tips for storing Firsties:

*Sort tubes based on similar sizes. You should never run into magazine jams if you sort your rounds by size and know exactly what you're putting into your gun every time. This is something any FSR user should do as soon as opening their box. You paid a premium for your ammo, so it'll pay dividends to spend this extra time prepairing your kit for success.

*Shake tubes after they've sat for a long time. This will help redistribute the fill more evenly in the rounds so they don't tumble funny and so the fill actually marks players you hit. Try to make sure each tube is full with 12-13 rounds so they don't slide too much and put them at risk of cracking.

*Check tubes that have been sitting for a long time. Sometimes the FSR "weep" small amounts of oil through the seams if they've been stored in harsh temperatures or just for a very long time. Usually the rounds are still fine but sometimes require a quick wipe down and re-sort.

*Pop a silica packet or 2 into the bottom of the can. FSR don't mind moisture like paint does, but it doesn't hurt to keep them nice and dry regardless.
VSS Vintorez Closed Bolt Mech Ion | Magfed AGD FrankenMag | M14 Mech Ion | First Strike Round Ammo Can | Feedback

Last edited by Calavera357; 02-07-2020 at 02:30 PM.
Calavera357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 02:47 PM   #2 (permalink)
MCB Member

Nice idea! now i have ANOTHER project i gotta work on
SniperPedik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 02:51 PM   #3 (permalink)
Ivan Sovetsky

CCI Phantom Fan
I smell a 3D-printed-tube-holder project trying to eek it's way into this thread...
Rainmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 02:53 PM   #4 (permalink)
Zombie Bait

Brass and Wood Fan
CCI Phantom Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainmaker View Post
I smell a 3D-printed-tube-holder project trying to eek it's way into this thread...
Oh yeah that'd be an easy one to do, too!
VSS Vintorez Closed Bolt Mech Ion | Magfed AGD FrankenMag | M14 Mech Ion | First Strike Round Ammo Can | Feedback
Old 02-07-2020, 02:54 PM   #5 (permalink)
Anything Mech

Great, I gotta go find some surplus ammo cans now
Rdav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 02:59 PM   #6 (permalink)
Trekkie

How long can storage last? 6+ months or longer?

That being said, if you call yourself out on a bounce shot (knowing it was skill that hit you and "luck" that saved you) , you may qualify for sainthood
-Mithuna

https://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/...-feedback.html
mlzplayer111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 03:00 PM   #7 (permalink)
Ivan Sovetsky

CCI Phantom Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calavera357 View Post
Each tube holes 13 FSRs and I've got slots for 28 tubes for a total of 1,274 Firsties
Rainmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 04:02 PM   #8 (permalink)
Zombie Bait

Brass and Wood Fan
CCI Phantom Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlzplayer111 View Post
How long can storage last? 6+ months or longer?
I've got some from 2017 that I use to test the stuff I build and I see nothing wrong with them. The fill is a little chalky but that's to be expected. Yay, the horrors of plastic! Shoot your firsties responsibly out there, they'll be there for a long time.
Old 02-07-2020, 08:42 PM   #9 (permalink)
Negative

While your solution is very effective at storing the FSR in the intended manner, it actually may not solve your FSR accuracy problem.

I've been doing the same thing for about a year using these:

They are called Pursuit Pods and are very affordable at $9/per and can hold up to 102 FSR each, if you get the large one.

I thought this would solve any accuracy issues that I had with old FSR. I stored some FSR for 6 months in these, hoping that the heavy part would settle to the nose and that it would fly better.

Unfortunately, this is not the case. After 6 months of sitting this way, the FSR still shot horribly. I talked to some of the very brainy Carmatech shooters (I personally shoot CCMs), and discovered that at the end of the day, there is no substitute for vigorously agitating the rounds before use.

What happens is that as the FSR sit, the fill begins to separate. The heavier part of the fill forms a paste-like clump. This clump can move about inside the round, and when the FSR spins, the clump of heavier fill makes the round very off-balance, greatly reducing accuracy. So while storing the rounds nose-down would seem to help, the acceleration forces and gyroscopic forces acting on the rounds will throw the settled fill off-balance.

The long and the short of it is, for optimal accuracy, the FSR need to be heavily shaken or agitated before a day of play. Some guys are even using paint shaker devices for this purpose.
Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 09:13 PM   #10 (permalink)
Zombie Bait

Brass and Wood Fan
CCI Phantom Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain View Post
The long and the short of it is, for optimal accuracy, the FSR need to be heavily shaken or agitated before a day of play. Some guys are even using paint shaker devices for this purpose.
You are 100% correct, that's why I mentioned this in my Pro Tips section

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calavera357 View Post
*Shake tubes after they've sat for a long time. This will help redistribute the fill more evenly in the rounds so they don't tumble funny and so the fill actually marks players you hit. Try to make sure each tube is full with 12-13 rounds so they don't slide too much and put them at risk of cracking.

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Armory » First Strike