mcarterbrown.com  

The Garage Talk about your Cars, Trucks, Motorcycles, and other Garage Related Projects.

Old 04-08-2016, 02:23 PM   #311 (permalink)
Semper Fi

CCM Fan
Brass and Wood Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragu210 View Post
2012 Camaro SS. Has 426 HP but when the warranty is up I can bump it up to at least 550 HP.

https://i1297.photobucket.com/albums/...psmhcdsoxp.jpg
I had one recently as a rental. I was not impressed with the power. Maybe it weighs alot

ANGELS FOR LIFE!!!
gainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 08:42 PM   #312 (permalink)

Maybe you had the parking break on. LOL
Ragu210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 09:28 PM   #313 (permalink)
Heart of a Sheridan!

Brass and Wood Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowking63 View Post
Sold my 1963 baja yesterday, so expect a new sniper build soon.
She was my first car and my daily for 4 years
https://i1278.photobucket.com/albums/...psyq8grpwr.jpg
Mmmmm, I really like looks and the concept of Baja Bugs. How much did yours cost to build? What kind'a fuel mileage?
PAINTBALL GUY 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 02:51 AM   #314 (permalink)
- Local 18 IUEC -

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAINTBALL GUY 3 View Post
Mmmmm, I really like looks and the concept of Baja Bugs. How much did yours cost to build? What kind'a fuel mileage?
My dad bought it for me as my first car for $750 wothout an engine. After he installed and changed everything to make it a safe reliable daily I took it over and added my style to it. I estimated the total of our expenses together was around $10k. I ended up selling it for $5200. After the 1600cc we bought I built a 1776cc with duel 40 kadrons so the milage was averaging 14 on a good day. The milage would've been much better if I used a single carb but I'd rather have the power. The jeep i bought is getting 12. Here's the build page if you're interested TheSamba.com :: HBB Off-Road - View topic - 63 baja
Snowking63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 09:55 PM   #315 (permalink)
Straight ballin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by gainman View Post
I had one recently as a rental. I was not impressed with the power. Maybe it weighs alot
4000lbs+ with driver from what I can find. That's heavy....like a Chevy. I would be surprised if it felt slow though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowking63 View Post
After the 1600cc we bought I built a 1776cc with duel 40 kadrons so the milage was averaging 14 on a good day.
Ouch! That's about what my 302 Mustang gets with a rotten tune on a 650 double pumper and wailing down the highway doing 3500rpm. It has a little more passing power than a Bug though.
SuperActionMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 11:24 PM   #316 (permalink)
- Local 18 IUEC -

Considering it was a rental, it could've just been drove to it's grave at some point
Snowking63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 12:16 AM   #317 (permalink)
MCB Member

CCM Fan
PPS Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by gainman View Post
I've noticed this about a lot of new cars. You look at the specs and they are faster then cars 10-15 years ago, but they feel heavy and slower.

I think it's a combination of a lot wider wheels, drama free suspension, electronic steering, stiffer frames, more sound deadening, and electronic nannies.

When the horsepower started climbing in the early to mid 2000's some of those cars were barely able to put the power down controllably. If you punched it at the wrong time, even in the awd cars you'd put it in the ditch or swap ends.

Now you can enjoy faster cars without having to be hyper vigilant.

It's like how old people swear how fast the older muscle cars were, but would get beat now by a Toyota Camry. My new WRX feels about as slow as my old Jetta, yet on paper its faster then my old mustang cobra.

The crazy thing is the 2016 Camaros and mustangs are the same weight as the early 2000 f bodies and sn95 fox bodies.

Last edited by theangrydragon; 04-13-2016 at 12:45 AM.
theangrydragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 07:51 AM   #318 (permalink)
Semper Fi

CCM Fan
Brass and Wood Fan
Yeah I am building a 2005 gti eight now as a cheap side project. It's a 1.8 turbo which I swapped a ko4 turbo into (barely larger than the stock turbo, still oem vw came on the audi tt). Just that which an open down pipe, tune, and audi tt injectors and I dynod at 248 at the wheels. Not a huge number but the car weighs nothing and it feels like a freaking rocket ship. The small turbo spools super fast and it has power for days.

I've had fast cars my whole life. I just don't understand why these newer ones feel like crap

ANGELS FOR LIFE!!!

Last edited by gainman; 04-13-2016 at 08:15 AM.
Old 04-13-2016, 09:19 AM   #319 (permalink)
MCB Member

CCM Fan
PPS Fan
I wouldn't call it feeling like crap, it's an incredible feat of engineering. 13 second 1/4 mile times are the standard for a lot of family sedans.

Now it takes 500+ horsepower to get that out of control fast feeling that used to happen at 300hp.

The other day I was going around an offramp at what I thought was a comfortable cruising speed, not at the limits by any means. I even had my foot off the gas and was just using momentum.

Some guy was trying to keep up with me and I watched him lose control of his car. I couldn't believe it. because to be at that point where he fishtailed and went off the road he must of really been pushing. He was lucky his stability control saved his ***.

There seems to be a lot less dumbass eating **** posts on car forums with new cars because they are much easier to drive fast. The factory stock 500+ horsepower ones, while affordable by supercar standards, are still a bit more then most of us want to spend on cars. But that's where you need to go to get that edge of your seat feeling in new cars.

Of all the new cars eating **** posts, the common theme is they all turn off stability control.
theangrydragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 11:34 AM   #320 (permalink)
Semper Fi

CCM Fan
Brass and Wood Fan
I agree that the cars are technologically superior but they have lost their soul, the connection with the road

ANGELS FOR LIFE!!!

mcarterbrown.com » General » Off-Topic » The Garage