mcarterbrown.com  

The Garage Talk about your Cars, Trucks, Motorcycles, and other Garage Related Projects.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 04-26-2017, 05:54 PM   #51 (permalink)
Paroxysm
 
Scougar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Garnet Valley, P.A.

1mm additional per side even in extreme breaking is highly unlikely to cause an issue on rotors that are what, like at LEAST 8mm per side. The minimum wear depth is likely already way too high. I would have done the job myself entirely for less than the comical 400 just quoted. Unless your rotors are warped the will bed to whatever the surface is anyway. Even a lip doesn't actually matter because that isn't the contact point.

Why didn't you just try new pads? (P.s. sportier cars typically have softer pads that have more friction but wear faster).
__________________
Scougar Feedback
First Strike T15 | Kingman Eraser
Scougar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 05:59 PM   #52 (permalink)
Paroxysm
 
Scougar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Garnet Valley, P.A.

Oh, and Audi and vw basically use almost identical parts but Audi has a massive price differential because they are "prestige". Even insurance in Europe lists then as a "prestige" car so charges more lol.

New maf sensor? Better brake out the credit card compared to paying cash for a VW part etc. Manifold.. same part almost, wayyyy more expensive.

Loved my Audi diesel turbo, when it worked. Had 260k miles on it, but was not worth fixing in the end for a sensor issue. The car itself was fantastic apart from part cost.
__________________
Scougar Feedback
First Strike T15 | Kingman Eraser
Scougar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 06:04 PM   #53 (permalink)
Does anyone read this?
 
Jordan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Jordan Station, Ontario, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scougar View Post
Oh, and Audi and vw basically use almost identical parts but Audi has a massive price differential because they are "prestige".
Not really...
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurtCow View Post
And God turned to Gabriel and said: “I shall create a land called Canada of outstanding natural beauty, with majestic mountains soaring with eagles, sparkling lakes abundant with bass and trout, forests full of elk and moose, and rivers stocked with salmon. I shall make the land rich in oil so the inhabitants prosper and call them Canadians, and they shall be praised as the friendliest of all people.”

“But Lord,” asked Gabriel, “Is this not too generous to these Canadians?”

And God replied, “Just wait and see the neighbors I shall inflict upon them.”

My Feedback
Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 10:04 PM   #54 (permalink)
Patient Zero
 
Tracker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Las Vegas NV
Send a message via Yahoo to Tracker Send a message via Skype™ to Tracker

CCM Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scougar View Post
1mm additional per side even in extreme breaking is highly unlikely to cause an issue on rotors that are what, like at LEAST 8mm per side. The minimum wear depth is likely already way too high. I would have done the job myself entirely for less than the comical 400 just quoted. Unless your rotors are warped the will bed to whatever the surface is anyway. Even a lip doesn't actually matter because that isn't the contact point.

Why didn't you just try new pads? (P.s. sportier cars typically have softer pads that have more friction but wear faster).
oh we tried all kinds of pads, the shop decided to surface the rotors to get rid of the lip, in the end, the brakes worked fine, but they developed a clanging noise then you'd hit bumps in the road, and that was after an audi tech came out and looked at their work to see if they missed anything.., only 2 things made the noise stop, the worn stuff it rolled in with. and rubber bands around the caliper with new hardware (for troubleshooting purposes only of course)

clearly there's a deeper issue involving the calipers, that will most likely require getting the calipers replaced, and thats drastically easier to start a warranty claim if the dealership does the work.. so right now, im dealing with the occasionally squawk from my brakes while i save my money for this kick to my scrotum.. (they did refund me BTW), i still have about a MM of wear before my indicator light comes on, and who gives a crap if i gouge up the rotors, they are getting replaced anyways :eyeroll:

then when the noise comes back, i can bring the car back and say "it didn't do this before it came in here, you guys need to fix it"

next time i need brakes, ill see what local "german only" shops i have nearby that can give me quotes
__________________

^And i did it while wearing a helmetcam^ in 1080P HD if you need proof
Trackers feedback
Tracker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 11:24 PM   #55 (permalink)
Post Whore
 
Cunha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Monterey, CA
Send a message via AIM to Cunha Send a message via MSN to Cunha Send a message via Yahoo to Cunha

If you're going through all this you should probably ditch the audi dude.

They require replacement of all 4 wheels if one is cracked too. I think the same goes with tires. not just quattros either.

Not a cool situation.
__________________
"I'll see it when I believe it"

PSA: To post direct images when using imgur or other hosting site, copy the "direct link" url in between these image tags [img]yoururlhere[/img]
Cunha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 12:21 PM   #56 (permalink)
Unseen
 
Vitamin J's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Denver, CO
Send a message via AIM to Vitamin J

$25 for a cheap toolkit.

rockauto.com prices for 2015 Audi A4 2.0T:
Bosch front brake rotors - $38 each side
Bosch front performance brade pads - $54 each side

I should be an Audi mechanic.
__________________
TPX rules!
Vitamin J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 02:54 PM   #57 (permalink)
Patient Zero
 
Tracker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Las Vegas NV
Send a message via Yahoo to Tracker Send a message via Skype™ to Tracker

CCM Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunha View Post
If you're going through all this you should probably ditch the audi dude.

They require replacement of all 4 wheels if one is cracked too. I think the same goes with tires. not just quattros either.

Not a cool situation.
in almost 20 years of driving in vegas, and with folks that have been living here since the 60's i don't even know a friend of a friend who has ever cracked a rim here.. is that a common thing where you are?

also, its not like i can just dump a car that i still have 4-ish years of payments left on without putting myself into a massive auto loan.. so no, im stuck with this car and getting rid of it isn't an option

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitamin J View Post
$25 for a cheap toolkit.

rockauto.com prices for 2015 Audi A4 2.0T:
Bosch front brake rotors - $38 each side
Bosch front performance brade pads - $54 each side

I should be an Audi mechanic.
and the noise will come back, and then i'd have to take the car into audi to get that looked at under warranty. and they would see that its all aftermarket parts, and say the noise is my fault because its not OEM hardware, and that ill need to pay for a brake job from them before they will look at why its making a noise

its no longer about the brake pads, there's a deeper issue that changing the brakes wont fix, ive said that like 3 times now
__________________

^And i did it while wearing a helmetcam^ in 1080P HD if you need proof
Trackers feedback
Tracker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 03:16 PM   #58 (permalink)
Seasoned Member
 
No Have MSG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Oregon

Did they forget to put the dust boots back on the sliding pins of the caliper? That is the only thing I can think of with the caliper to cause a clunk in the front end. Anything else could be ball joint, ect.
__________________
My Little feedback thread
No Have MSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 03:38 PM   #59 (permalink)
Unseen
 
Vitamin J's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Denver, CO
Send a message via AIM to Vitamin J

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracker View Post
and the noise will come back, and then i'd have to take the car into audi to get that looked at under warranty. and they would see that its all aftermarket parts, and say the noise is my fault because its not OEM hardware, and that ill need to pay for a brake job from them before they will look at why its making a noise

its no longer about the brake pads, there's a deeper issue that changing the brakes wont fix, ive said that like 3 times now
The deeper issue is probably that a minimum wage brake monkey is messing around with your Audi. If you did it yourself you probably would have a better idea about this mystery noise and where it's coming from. Bosch is an OE for Audi also and I'm pretty sure replacing wear parts with common replacements will not void your warranty, either. Legally, the dealer would have to prove that the hardware caused the problem to deny warranty work, and that would be very hard to do since its all within spec.
__________________
TPX rules!
Vitamin J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 04:38 PM   #60 (permalink)
Patient Zero
 
Tracker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Las Vegas NV
Send a message via Yahoo to Tracker Send a message via Skype™ to Tracker

CCM Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by No Have MSG View Post
Did they forget to put the dust boots back on the sliding pins of the caliper? That is the only thing I can think of with the caliper to cause a clunk in the front end. Anything else could be ball joint, ect.
not sure, as i didn't do the work, but i would assume that if the tech from the audi dealership came and gave it the once over and said it was good, then the dust covers got put back on, but im only guessing as i wasn't there

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitamin J View Post
The deeper issue is probably that a minimum wage brake monkey is messing around with your Audi. If you did it yourself you probably would have a better idea about this mystery noise and where it's coming from. Bosch is an OE for Audi also and I'm pretty sure replacing wear parts with common replacements will not void your warranty, either. Legally, the dealer would have to prove that the hardware caused the problem to deny warranty work, and that would be very hard to do since its all within spec.
well i didn't do it myself, and constantly telling me either how much it would have cost me to do it myself, and how bad you think the mechanic that did the job was (which is a HUGE assumption on your part) accomplishes nothing, and what if your wrong? what if it is EXACTLY as im describing the problem, then what?
cause i know it wouldnt stop the dealership from trying to make me pay for it., and thats more bull**** than i want to deal with., ive had that to deal with it in cars past, and i don't feel like screaming at someone right now
__________________

^And i did it while wearing a helmetcam^ in 1080P HD if you need proof
Trackers feedback
Tracker is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

  mcarterbrown.com » General » Off-Topic » The Garage

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:11 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO
© MCB Network LLC